Latest post Thu, Jun 14 2012 10:36 AM by Job ter Burg. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 13 2012 2:47 PM

• tacbob
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 12 2011
    • Posts 73
    • Points 1,060

Import P2> Clips to Bin or Link to AMA?

What is the most efficient workflow - Import Clips to Bin or Link to AMA?

When I have imported P2>Clips to Bin i have been told to Consolidate the files which duplicates the media, filling up hard drive space which I don't want.

What is the difference between linking to AMA and just importP2 Clips to Bin without consolidating?

Thanks

Filed under: , , ,
  • Wed, Jun 13 2012 3:52 PM In reply to

Re: Import P2> Clips to Bin or Link to AMA?

Not much. As far as I can tell, File->Import P2 is an early implementation of what later became AMA.

That said, I would not worry about the drive space and consolidate. It is more flexible and often much faster to turn everything into Avid media files.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 13 2012 4:11 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    It is more flexible and often much faster to turn everything into Avid media files.

And in the case of longer and more layer/effects intensive timelines, far more stable.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jun 13 2012 9:35 PM In reply to

• tacbob
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 73
    • Points 1,060

Thanks people!

So I guess you are saying stick with Import P2 and then consolidate/import media.

Do you still consolidate if you link to AMA?

When I have consolidated and my computer is full up with the Avid files, can I then remove the original files that I copied over?

Thanks

• Wed, Jun 13 2012 11:10 PM In reply to

tacbob:

Do you still consolidate if you link to AMA?

I would, yes. Working woth AMA-linked files to me makes no sense on anything you work on for more than a day.

When I have consolidated and my computer is full up with the Avid files, can I then remove the original files that I copied over?

I would never delete originals, ever. But if they are copies of the camera original, then there is no need to keep them. Consolidate will preserve native quality and metadata.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 14 2012 9:48 AM In reply to

• tacbob
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 73
    • Points 1,060

Thanks. It would not be the originals I would delete, just copies of them.

But , eventually I would need to copy the Avid Media Files onto an external drive/server to clean up the computer. If I need to reopen a project and I had taken the Avid Media Files off/copied onto a hard drive/server, do I just copy them back into the Avid Media Files folder?

Can I ask, what is the difference between these files - the original P2/mxf and the new Avid Media Files?

Thanks

• Thu, Jun 14 2012 10:36 AM In reply to

tacbob:
    If I need to reopen a project and I had taken the Avid Media Files off/copied onto a hard drive/server, do I just copy them back into the Avid Media Files folder?
    Yes.

tacbob:
    what is the difference between these files - the original P2/mxf and the new Avid Media Files
    I think they have slightly different metadata layouts (and Avid files have more metadata), but I can't say for sure.

There used to be a method (in the early days of P2) where folks would drag the original MXF files into the Avid MediaFiles folders, but I think that did prove to be problematic. Don't know the tech details.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller