Latest post Mon, Jun 11 2012 10:21 PM by Tom Pearson. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 8 2012 12:24 PM

• tacbob
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 12 2011
    • Posts 73
    • Points 1,060

P2 Consolidate/Link to?

When I go to Import P2 Clips to Bin, all my clips appear in the bin, no problem. If I do not Consolidate (Import Media) all the imported files go offline if I close Avid. Unfortunately, Consolidating all the files will take 2 hours and I need to work on the project immediately. This is the part I do not understand about Avid. Surely I can just link to the files to work on them without them being consolidated? I have tried linking by AMA but it will not let me do it?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Filed under: , , ,
  • Fri, Jun 8 2012 2:09 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Dallas TX
    • Posts 2,194
    • Points 23,515

Re: P2 Consolidate/Link to?

yes you are right they go off line that way  but there is a light at the end of the tunnel just select import p2 clips again and the existing clips will repopulate

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Fri, Jun 8 2012 2:17 PM In reply to

What version of MC are you on?  You are using the old method (and perhaps an old version), which you will see if you have AMA turned off.

If you have AMA, and turn it on, you can then link by AMA which should be more stable and clips will (for the most part) stay online.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Jun 8 2012 2:22 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,194
    • Points 23,515

Kevin I have been doing this as I dont care for ama.  if you just re import the p2 clips to bin in the same bin they will repopulate and all is well  this is  my standard work flow as I shoot mostly in P2

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

WWLD

• Fri, Jun 8 2012 2:25 PM In reply to

Well, not to get into semantics, but the Import P2 > Clips to Bin is basically AMA v.1. 

I'm just saying that all the development right now is going into working with AMA, so improvements to the old method probably aren't happening.  One solution, to use the new AMA w/P2 material should prevent clips from going offline after every session.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Jun 8 2012 2:29 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,194
    • Points 23,515

yes I agree but the original post needed to work on it right now and if they had imported clips to bin all ready

this way will get them back to work right now with out loosing any time 

Tom Pearson

WWLD

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 10:12 PM In reply to

• tacbob
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 73
    • Points 1,060

Tom.

Do I delete the clips first then reimport? Will they link to files on the timeline?

Ultimately I need to decide on a different workflow to what I have been doing.

Presently, I import P2 Clips to Bin then Consolidate. My issue with this is that Avid duplicates all the files and puts the new files in one of the Avid folders. Because of the duplication, my computer gets full up!!!!

So, I guess I really need to know if Consolidate is absolutely necessary. As long as all the imported files and structure are in one root folder that I can remove from my hard drive and store on an external drive when I have finished the project, surely this will be fine?

Thanks

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 10:13 PM In reply to

• tacbob
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 73
    • Points 1,060

MC 5.5 Kevin.

Thanks

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 10:21 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,194
    • Points 23,515

no dont delete anything just import (clips to bin)  again in the same bin and all will repopulate

Tom Pearson

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller