Latest post Fri, Jul 6 2012 5:57 PM by SlikAssistant. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 7 2012 2:47 PM

• SlikAssistant
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 24 2009
    • Montréal, QC
    • Posts 15
    • Points 235

Symphony 6 crash on opening Read-Only Bin

Hi Avid Community,

I have two different qualified systems running Symphony 6.0.1.1 on Windows 7 and they have the same problem.

We are using EditShare as our storage and sharing solution. The project management is based on a Writable vs Read-Only Bins System (e.g.: all the footage bins are read-only so the editors can't change the names of the logged clips, etc.)

Since we have updated to 6.0.X, opening a Read-Only Bin give us the following message:
    Assertion failed: (mainPane)!=0, file ..\..\src\CoreClasses\AWindow.c, line 4940
    and 4 choices: Create Report (makes Avid crash), Exit Application, Continue (Bin doesn't open), Debugger (makes Avid crash)

As a test, I opened a non-EditShare project in wich I previously "locked" a Bin by making it Read-Only. Same error, wich makes me believe it's not an EditShare related bug, but an Avid one.

Any idea of what's happening here?

-- Francis

Multiple systems: All systems on MC 8.4 with Symphony Option. One Avid DS11. -- 2 x z800 connected to Nitris DX / 4 x z800-clones connected to Nitris... [view my complete system specs]

If there is no solution, there must be a workaround.
    Les assistants chez Slik

• Thu, Jul 5 2012 10:29 PM In reply to

Re: Symphony 6 crash on opening Read-Only Bin

Just installed Symphony 6.0.1.1 on Mac Pro running 10.7.3 this morning and ran into this same issue with our EditShare 5.5.23 system. Read-only bins are popping up this exact same error on our Symphony.

Unfortunately, I don't have a fix/workaround, but wanted to chime in since no one's replied to this thread in a month.

2.5 floors in Midtown NYC consisting of ~60 workstations, primarily Mac Pros with a few iMacs and Mac Minis. I include specific machine specs in my posts... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 6 2012 5:10 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,289
    • Points 28,260
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Have you contacted EditShare about the issue? They are doing something completely different from how bins are locked on ISIS. On ISIS a *.lck file is created that indicates that the bin is locked. The lck file is also a log that tracks who had read/write to the bin.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Fri, Jul 6 2012 5:57 PM In reply to

• SlikAssistant
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 24 2009
    • Montréal, QC
    • Posts 15
    • Points 235

Concerning our case:
    My editshare retailer was contacted as early as the problem appeared. He registered the same issue with other clients who updated to Symphony 6 and opened a case at Avid (and EditShare too, I think...). I'll keep you up to date about those.

Concerning the *.lck workflow:
    I know editShare created a new project management method using the ISIS "Lock" structure. We've already decided to try the new "Lock" method for any new project we're going to work on. That will bypass the problem for those.

Anyway, we have many ongoing projects (tv series) that used the ReadOnly method for months and years, way before version 6 -- read "with A LOT of bins and a complex project structure perfectly adapted to our needs" -- and so switching to the new structure would not be so efficient and would be also very time consumming.
    So we need the ReadOnly method to work, one way or another.

Thanks for the input!
    -- Francis

Multiple systems: All systems on MC 8.4 with Symphony Option. One Avid DS11. -- 2 x z800 connected to Nitris DX / 4 x z800-clones connected to Nitris... [view my complete system specs]

If there is no solution, there must be a workaround.
    Les assistants chez Slik

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller