Latest post Fri, Jun 8 2012 7:07 PM by almost40_3girls. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 5 2012 2:49 PM

A Bit Disapointed But Maybe Just Need Some Help

Last week I received in my new hotness, a 17" Hd laptop with the new 3rd gen i7 proc (4 core with HT), 8 gig ram, 128gb SSD OS/App drive, 750GB data/render drive, nVidia GTX675m (Yes I know it is not "supported") and 1066mhz FSB. While I realize that my version of MC (5.0.4.4) is only a 32 bit app, I was a bit disapointed when I imported and thus transcoded a 4gb AVCHD clip and it took fairly close as much time as the old one did which was right at 50 minutes. The old system was a core2duo 2.0ghz, 4 gb ram, 500g hd, ati x1600 graphics.

In looking at task manager I really didn't see too much usage on any of the processor cores nor was MC pulling a high percentage of the CPU usage. I didn't know how to monitor the graphic proc right off hand so I don't have that info.

I had copied the clip to the render drive which is a SATA 3gb/s port and was rendering on that same drive.

So my question comes as one needing information. What can I do to speed up this process with the system and version of MC I currently have? Upgrading to MC6 or even 5.5 is not an option right now (all my money went into the laptop :) )?

Should I put the raw AVCHD file on the SSD and choose the SSD also as the render drive? Other MC settings or tweaks? OS (Win 7 pro) or SSD tweaks? I had really hoped that going back to a multiple hard drive system verse a single drive set up would increase functions like this.

Thanks for your help and experience,

Jeff

MC5.0.4, Panasonic AG-AC130 HD Cam & DVC30 SD Cam, Sager 9170 laptop, 17" 1920x1080, i7 3rd gen, 8gb ram, dual Hd's, GTX675m graphics. Emachine... [view my complete system specs]

Created Design Video - "Video for the common man"

• Tue, Jun 5 2012 2:58 PM In reply to

Re: A Bit Disapointed But Maybe Just Need Some Help

MC v6 is the answer.  Link via AMA and Transcode.  Significantly faster.

"...  What can I do to speed up this process with the system and version of MC I currently have? ..."

Nothing that I know of, and we've done 100's of hours of testing.

"... Upgrading to MC6 or even 5.5 is not an option right now (all my money went into the laptop :) )? ..."

Bummer

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Jun 5 2012 3:49 PM In reply to

Thanks for the candid reply.  In looking at the forum, 6 looks a bit buggy right now.... plus there is the cost. Oh well I guess I will continue to use the various products I am now to accomplish things.

But I guess I still am wondering from a purely technical standpoint, why would the transcode time still be as long as it was on an older and over all in all areas slower machine? Everything on the new system is faster. Interesting.

Jeff

MC5.0.4, Panasonic AG-AC130 HD Cam & DVC30 SD Cam, Sager 9170 laptop, 17" 1920x1080, i7 3rd gen, 8gb ram, dual Hd's, GTX675m graphics. Emachine... [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Jun 6 2012 9:33 AM In reply to

• udosauer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • Posts 448
    • Points 5,255

If it is a one time big import, you may use the 30 demo version to ingest the data and then switch back to the old version.

regards,

Udo

2x HP Z800 with Mojo DX and MC7.0 | 1x HP Z800 with Nitris DX and MC7.0+SYM-Option | 1x Unity MEFC5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 6 2012 9:42 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,385

almost40_3girls:

In looking at the forum, 6 looks a bit buggy right now....

When I look at the boards all I see is a lot of moaners and newbees, I have been successfully editing on MC 6 since November

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Jun 6 2012 9:47 AM In reply to

almost40_3girls:
    In looking at the forum, 6 looks a bit buggy right now.

Remember that the people who come to the forum are the ones who have trouble.  Most people running MC6 without issues have no reason to be here.

udosauer:
    If it is a one time big import, you may use the 30 demo version to ingest the data and then switch back to the old version.

That's a good point.  Plus, you could use the demo for a few weeks to see how it runs for you.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2021.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Jun 6 2012 12:18 PM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,862
    • Points 24,410

camoscato:

almost40_3girls:

Remember that the people who come to the forum are the ones who have trouble.  Most people running MC6 without issues have no reason to be here.

udosauer:

That's a good point.  Plus, you could use the demo for a few weeks to see how it runs for you.

ciao,
    Carl 

Carl,

That is not entirely true.  Reading thru these forum posts for me is an education in and of itself.  I am here every day to see what little tidbits of information can make my life easier.

Denny

Media Composer 2019.6, BCC Continuum 12.5, , Boris Red 5.6., Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard with Intel 3930K Processor. 32 gigs DDR3 ram, Windows 10 Pro 1803... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 6 2012 12:24 PM In reply to

Transcode will utilize your CPU high.

Link and transcode as Randall suggested.

However the bliss is close to 6 (64bit) version.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(442.92)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2020.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Wed, Jun 6 2012 12:32 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Dallas TX
    • Posts 2,195
    • Points 23,530

dm I beleve Carl was talking about poeple posting about trouble.. I for one am having a lot of good editing on mc 6.01.1 and it loads and transcodes  real well

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Wed, Jun 6 2012 1:09 PM In reply to

almost40_3girls:

camoscato:
    Remember that the people who come to the forum are the ones who have trouble. 

dmfreeman:
    That is not entirely true.  Reading thru these forum posts for me is an education in and of itself.  I am here every day to see what little tidbits of information can make my life easier.

I was responding to Jeff's asssertion that MC6 is buggy based on his reading of the forum.  I figured listing out all the various reasons people come to the forum aside from problem reporting so as not to offend any of the more pedantic members of the forum would have been a clunky way to make the point about not relying on reports from people with problems when evaluating the stability or lack thereof of a piece of software.

If I'd said "Remember that many people, aside from the ones who come here for educational purposes and to see what little tidbits of information can make their lives easier, come to the forum only to report problems" would that have made you happy?  

Smile

Media Composer 2021.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Wed, Jun 6 2012 1:24 PM In reply to

And just to piggyback on Carl's response, there are SOME users (no names mentioned, of course) who will experience a problem with their particular version, and then immediately come to the Forums and report it as "a definite bug" when, in some cases, it is not a bug at all, but the result of operator error of one kind or another. This is why we as moderators have a very specific procedure we must go through before we escalate an issue as a legitimate "for real" bug in the software, and not an error of usage on an editor's part.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jun 6 2012 2:07 PM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,862
    • Points 24,410

Carl and Larry,

I was not trying to be critical at all.  I value these forums a great deal.  I was only pointing out the fact that not all visitors here are coming to complain about the program.  I am a long time user and feel that MC is an excellent tool.

Hope this clears the air.

Denny

Media Composer 2019.6, BCC Continuum 12.5, , Boris Red 5.6., Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard with Intel 3930K Processor. 32 gigs DDR3 ram, Windows 10 Pro 1803... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 6 2012 2:45 PM In reply to

To be perfectly honest, I mostly come here for the wine list.  The 2008 Barossa Cabernet is superb.

• Wed, Jun 6 2012 3:41 PM In reply to

camoscato:

To be perfectly honest, I mostly come here for the wine list.  The 2008 Barossa Cabernet is superb.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Jun 6 2012 6:09 PM In reply to

Well first I guess I should retract my comment about 6 being buggy. As commented on I was just expressing what I thought in reading various posts.

I would take exception to being listed in the moaners and noobs. I very rarely post and it most always for a question or something I am not sure of or need help with. As far as experience, I am one of many that have come from the Liquid area and prior to that Studio back to verison 1.06! So while I hope to always be learning I really don't count myself as a noobie and on the computer side, that is my full time work.

And yes I end with a question, can I have my registered copy of MC 5.04 on my laptop and load up the MC6 trial version?

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller