Latest post Fri, Jun 1 2012 3:31 PM by jef. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 1 2012 1:43 AM

• rwhitlock
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 13 2011
    • Posts 23
    • Points 295

Fast Import is still pretty slow

I'm using the Fast Import technique- rendering (through Compressor or Squeeze or MPEG Streamclip) using the Avid DNxHD codec, so I can do a Fast Import into Avid.

I basically used this as my guide: http://michaelkammes.com/encoding/avid-is-self-aware-fast-import/

However when I import, even though Avid tells me I am successfully doing a Fast Import, it still takes for-freakin-ever. Is there a quicker way I might try? Which software works faster, which settings are quicker, etc.?

Thanks!

• Fri, Jun 1 2012 1:58 AM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,265
    • Points 27,975
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: Fast Import is still pretty slow

For DNxHD QT files, you should AMA link and consolidate. Like fast Import, this is a file/copy command and is limited by the speed of the drives, bus and computer.

Are you reading from and copying to the same drive? This will saturate the bus.

Try to copy across two different buses to different drives.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Fri, Jun 1 2012 2:12 AM In reply to

• rwhitlock
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 13 2011
    • Posts 23
    • Points 295

The original files and the "pre-encoded" DNxHD files are on the main hard drive, and when I import the MXF files are going to the external media drive.

• Fri, Jun 1 2012 12:00 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,265
    • Points 27,975
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

I still suggest linking to the DNxHD QT files via AMA and consolidating.

Copy a QT file from the internal drive to the external. How long does it take? It will take this long at least.

When a file is fast imported or AMA linked and consolidated, there's a Checksum to ensure the Integrity of the copy. This will add a small amount of time to the copy.

What type of computer are you on? How is the external drive attached to the computer?

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Fri, Jun 1 2012 2:25 PM In reply to

How long are the files?

As Bob says, a Fast Import is basically a file re-wrap/copy.  A 2 hr file even when being "fast imported" is going to take a long time - about as long as it would take to copy a file that big.  

Don't be confused by the use of the term "fast" in this sense.  "Fast" here means that Avid is not doing anything to the file as it imports - which technically is faster than it would be if Avid were having to do something to the file during import.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Jun 1 2012 2:57 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,506
    • Points 42,240

Take a look at this thread:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/107160.aspx

As seen later in the thread, my tests showed that "Fast Import" is not as fast as a disk copy of the same file via the same path.  It is clear that the unwrapping has a cost in time.

Yes, it is technically faster than an import.  Yes, it is a good thing.  I just think people need to be aware of the realities and not have unrealistic expectations.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Jun 1 2012 3:09 PM In reply to

jef:
    my tests showed that "Fast Import" is not as fast as a disk copy of the same file via the same path
    That was with a very small clip (387MB). As I wrote at the time, it might matter if you compared smaller and larger files.

As pointed out, a desktop copy is a plain vanilla copy, a Fast Import is a checksum copy.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 1 2012 3:31 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,506
    • Points 42,240

Job ter Burg:

jef:
    my tests showed that "Fast Import" is not as fast as a disk copy of the same file via the same path
    That was with a very small clip (387MB). As I wrote at the time, it might matter if you compared smaller and larger files.

As pointed out, a desktop copy is a plain vanilla copy, a Fast Import is a checksum copy.

True on both points Job.  Especially the second.  People read almost as fast as a disc copy and then are dissapointed when it is not as fast as they want.  Most people just use the plain old desktop copy (unless they have been burned once).  I am just trying to point out that is a bit of a slippery statement and you should test the workflow for yourself before getting mad at Avid.

I will test this out on a larger file.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller