Latest post Wed, May 30 2012 12:43 PM by maryd. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 29 2012 11:14 AM

• Mks2000
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 7 2006
    • Puerto Rico
    • Posts 29
    • Points 275

Who is working with Dekocast?

I remember the last upgrade that I know was the Crawl Object.

Since then I have not seen any other changes and I'm still using it

with its lack on UX Design, Usability, Compatibility and Hardware Performance.

Is there someone who is working with this painful tool this days.

2 Deko 3k ver 4 on targa, 1 Dcast authoring station, 1 Dcast. [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, May 29 2012 3:31 PM In reply to

• maryd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 23 2006
    • Posts 12
    • Points 1,895
    • Moderator: Avid Motion Graphics

Re: Who is working with Dekocast?

The latest version of DekoCast is 4.3.  It includes 720p/50 workflow and Charts & Graphs. 
    Version 4.2.x and 4.1.x had numerous additional features as well.  So, depending on what version you are currently running, there may be more things you could use with an upgrade.

Though DekoCast is not like Deko, it is not at all painful once you have had training.  I have created many complex scenes, and used scenes from other Avid folks that are simple and easy to use.  If you need training please contact me directly & I will forward your information to Training.

For information on who in your area is using DekoCast please ask your sales representative.  If anyone on the list wants to let us know that you are using it as well, feel free to post your experiences.

Thanks.

• Tue, May 29 2012 5:47 PM In reply to

• Mks2000
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 7 2006
    • Puerto Rico
    • Posts 29
    • Points 275

We are using 4.1 Deckocast and yes I have training the thing is that the workflow is slow and complex.

and this version only accept .avi files rendered on pinnacle dv25 codec.

Thanks for the answer but the question is for users not for people who acctualy work for avid.

In a day to day basis I need to do a lot stuff more than just setting up scenes on the dekocast.

If a tool that doesn't have UNDO is not a pain,  what is?

2 Deko 3k ver 4 on targa, 1 Dcast authoring station, 1 Dcast. [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, May 30 2012 12:43 PM In reply to

• maryd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 23 2006
    • Posts 12
    • Points 1,895
    • Moderator: Avid Motion Graphics

DekoCast can use many file types for clips (.m2v, .mov, .mxf, .avi, .dif, .tmf, and .vbs.) by using the Transcoder application. It will create DC compatible .mxf files.  You can also set it up to watch a certain folder and automatically transcode when a new file is copied to the watch folder.  You can find more info starting at page 149 in the User’s Guide.

And yes, no undo is a pain.  And I feel your pain – before I was staff with Avid I created a number of DekoCast projects as a freelancer, and at first I’d hit Ctrl Z and expect something to undo.  I quickly adapted to hitting Ctrl S to save frequently.  As it was explained to me many years ago, the amount of logic to undo the huge array of things that can be changed was basically impossible.  A small sample of the possibilities – change Video input from Input 1 > 2, moving an Audio stream from Input ch. 2 to output ch. 4, modulate that single channel of audio, add the keyframe to the timeline, edit the keyframe, change it to a Capture keyframe, trigger the RSS feed, change the update settings for a crawl …. The vast number of parameters that can be addressed meant it would be impossible to Undo most things, and confusing to be able to undo only a few.  Even in Deko, when working with advanced Motion Effects there is no reliable undo.  And yes, I know that some very complex graphics applications have undo or history with a huge number of parameters.  But generally speaking they are not ON AIR devices, where much of the power and engineering of the device goes to getting the graphics to instantly play in real time. 

Meantime – anyone else in the Community who has ideas, shortcuts, experiences in your own day to day world that work, please share.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller