Latest post Thu, May 17 2012 4:33 PM by maryd. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 16 2012 8:43 PM

• benscripps
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 7 2006
    • Cadillac, MI
    • Posts 20
    • Points 280

PostDeko Slow on Saving to Thunder

Our trusty old Thunder system has developed a weird little tic recently; hoping someone has a good idea of where to look, since I'm not really sure whether it's a problem within PostDeko or Thunder...

Our workflow involves opening a series of graphics from within Thunder using the "Open with PostDeko" option; after inserting text onto the graphic, in PostDeko we select "Save to Thunder", give the graphic a number, and click OK.  In the past, it's always been pretty quick; half a second or so to save the graphic, then ALT-TAB back to Thunder for the next graphic.  Recently, though, after entering the number, the status bar at the bottom of the PostDeko window displays "Rendering", and the system stops responding for about 7-8 seconds.  Once it finishes "rendering" (which doesn't appear to change anything within the PostDeko display at all), everything resumes working perfectly normally.  But while it's rendering, the system stops responding.

I'm not sure if this is something weird within PostDeko (as in someone checked a setting they shouldn't have), or something weird with the Thunder database (we've been having to manually remove database locks more and more often recently), or a file fragmentation thing (the total fragmentation on the drive is 27%, with file fragmentation at 55%; I've heard nothing but horror stories about defragging Avid drives, but that's all been about video/audio drives on editors, and I'm not sure if the admonishments about not defragging extends to Thunder drives as well). 

FWIW, version numbers are as follows: Thunder is v7.1.2, PostDeko is v7.0 (build 2151-1). 

Anyone have any good ideas?  TIA!

Newscutters (5 NC, 1 NC Adrenaline), MC Adrenaline, Unity MediaNetwork, 4 AirSpeeds (2 ingest, 2 playback), DekoCast HD, Thunder HD, Command [view my complete system specs]

Ben Scripps WWTV/WWUP-TV benscripps (at) 9and10news (dot) com

• Thu, May 17 2012 4:33 PM In reply to

• maryd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 23 2006
    • Posts 12
    • Points 1,895
    • Moderator: Avid Motion Graphics

Re: PostDeko Slow on Saving to Thunder

Hi Ben,

Sorry to say I do not know any specific causes for what is happening.  My suggestion is, of course, customer support.  There is a new customer support portal:

http://na2.salesforce.com/secur/login_portal.jsp?orgId=00D400000007GIT&portalId=060400000000a8t

If you do not have support on these boxes you might try reinstalling the software.  If the issue is showing on PostDeko I would start there.  You may want to update your version while you are at it as well. 

Once you do figure it out, and if it is any PostDeko setting, I recommend you create a Preferences & Settings Macro.  If you need those steps let me know. 

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller