Latest post Fri, May 11 2012 2:19 AM by bannergwin. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 11 2012 2:19 AM

• bannergwin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 3 2010
    • Posts 9
    • Points 100

Project Color Space- When to use each in MC5-6?

Hi guys, if I'm using Avid MC5.5 to edit Canon 5D/7D footage, and the end result is going to be file based (not for tape broadcast/ for internet only) what color space do I need to set my project up as? RGB 709 or YCbCr 709?

The plan is to transcode to DNx115 via AMA and final with that. I've already deleted Perian to avoid the color space confusion that MC experiences on import and export. Basically, I've made this mistake before: I handled a project shot on a 7D with Avid MC and when it came to exporting, I couldnever get the quicktime to be in the correct color space. For example, I tried every different way of exporting (changing export color space settings, project settings, all different compressions, compressor re-incoding, etc...) and either the picture was washed out and too bright (the letterbox black was more of a gray than black) or the levels were so crunched and I lost everything in low light situations...

So what am I doing wrong here? Is it as simple as my RGB 709/ YCbCr 709 color space settings with a Perian twist? I just want the footage to look the same coming in and going out of Avid when I work with file based cameras instead of telecine/lab deliverables. 

Should I edit in an RGB project if my material is meant to be seen on a computer? And if so, if the need to go to tape ever arose, would it be hard to make it match when switching color spaces? Can you swith project color spaces depending on what kind of export you need to do? If so, does it matter what the project is initially set up as before you begin importing/transcoding?

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller