Latest post Mon, Sep 24 2012 2:09 PM by ErinC. 45 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 3 2012 8:49 AM In reply to

Re: How do I record using USB mic from scratch?

Alright guys...thank you all for your time and input.

This method "should" work...but it's not.  I've opened a new project, NO cam, and flipped the settings to mimic Douglas' screenshot...nada.

Anyway, I believe in putting a round peg in a round hole and using appropriate software when needed.  I was hoping MC was an all in one solution.

However, out of the recent replies, Adobe Audition popped up, and this is what I currently use for other audio editing.  It'll probably be the path that I'll use to capture from the mic.  I can do stuff like noise reduction, etc within this program, export to wav and MC import.

Phew!!

Aloha from Hawaii,

Irwin

AVID Media Composer 8.5.1 / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Intel i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 32gb RAM, AMD Radeon Pro WX7100, 1TB SSD (OS & App only), Highpoint RAID... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 3 2012 9:01 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,385

irwinpks:

This method "should" work...but it's not.  I've opened a new project, NO cam, and flipped the settings to mimic Douglas' screenshot...nada.

Anyway, I believe in putting a round peg in a round hole and using appropriate software when needed.  I was hoping MC was an all in one solution.

Irwin, you are a little out of specs, you of course know that, just telling, might be a reason to why it works for others, just a thought .

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, May 3 2012 9:27 AM In reply to

mjolnarn:

irwinpks:

Irwin, you are a little out of specs, you of course know that, just telling, might be a reason to why it works for others, just a thought .

You mean hardware specs? I believe it's all covered and surpasses what is here for the PC:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Media-Composer/system-requirements

BTW, I've added another 4gb for a total of 8gb in the system.

I'm suspecting the following:
    - Setting in MC (the USB mic works with the audio punch-in tool)
    - Conflict with the headset Mic that I have
    - Conflict with another USB device
    - Conflict with other installed software

I'm hoping that it is simply a setting that I haven't executed.

Here are my alternate solutions:
    - Temporarily add a graphic and extend the time on the timeline to fit my microphone recording sequence and then use the Audio Punch-in Tool
    - Use Adobe Audtion to record from the microphone. 

AVID Media Composer 8.5.1 / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Intel i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 32gb RAM, AMD Radeon Pro WX7100, 1TB SSD (OS & App only), Highpoint RAID... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 3 2012 9:33 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,385

irwinpks:

Specs or not, this above would be my first guess, if you have 2 different external mics connected at the same time . that might be what´s causing this

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, May 3 2012 9:42 AM In reply to

mjolnarn:

irwinpks:

Specs or not, this above would be my first guess, if you have 2 different external mics connected at the same time . that might be what´s causing this

Logically, if the USB Mic works with the Audio Punch-in tool, you'd think that it should transpose easily to the Capture Tool.  But before you posted, I disconnected the headset mic which attaches to the audio input jack on the soundcard.  So, that added mic is not the problem and eliminated from the list as a cause.

• Thu, May 3 2012 9:51 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,385

As I got curious and felt for testing myself , I have just done that using my XFi Elite Pro soundcard with a 600 dollar headset attached , worked like a charm so that makes one more of us having this working now .

Tomas 

• Thu, May 3 2012 9:59 AM In reply to

mjolnarn:

As I got curious and felt for testing myself , I have just done that using my XFi Elite Pro soundcard with a 600 dollar headset attached , worked like a charm so that makes one more of us having this working now .

Bah...I'm jealous! Hmm

• Thu, May 3 2012 10:13 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,385

For everyones knowledge wanting to test, this doesn´t seem to be possible with a Matrox unit attached, maybe also other external hardware have the same behaviour

Tomas 

• Thu, May 3 2012 1:14 PM In reply to

irwinpks:
    out of the recent replies, Adobe Audition popped up, and this is what I currently use for other audio editing.  It'll probably be the path that I'll use to capture from the mic.  I can do stuff like noise reduction, etc within this program, export to wav and MC import.

on page 1, I wrote:

You can just about record scratch audio into anything and export a .wav that you then import into Avid.  Avid is not going to recognize a USB mic as a capture device, so you will have to use another app.

irwinpks:
    Uh...you lost me at the explanation of "scratch" Hmm

You asked how to record using USB from scratch.  You meant to ask how to record using USB for scratch.  I was facetiously pointing out the different meaning of your question depending on which preposition you use.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, May 3 2012 1:26 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,528
    • Points 235,090
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Kenton.VanNatten:
    Avid is not going to recognize a USB mic as a capture device, so you will have to use another app

Kenton,

Did you take a look at the video I posted the link to?

I am using a USB mic in the video, as a capture device in MC through the Capture tool.

Regards,
    Douglas

VIDEO IS HERE

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 3 2012 1:32 PM In reply to

Things must've changed recently then, because for as long as I remember you couldn't use any USB connected devices for capturing with Avid.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, May 3 2012 1:38 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,528
    • Points 235,090
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Kenton.VanNatten:

Things must've changed recently then, because for as long as I remember you couldn't use any USB connected devices for capturing with Avid.  

I am pretty sure that you are correct,Kenton

I was surprised when I tried and it worked.

I guess that's progress for you

Regards

Douglas

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 3 2012 3:31 PM In reply to

• adam5000
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 643
    • Points 8,525

Its worked in MC on the mac side for a while, not sure how long but a couple of years at least.

MC Version 8.4.4 Mac OS 10.10.5 IMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5 16gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 9 2012 6:31 PM In reply to

Just to jump in on this even though it is a few days old..

To record from a USB device OUTSIDE of MC, which is what I think the OP was meaning when he said from scratch, you need a software app that will recognize ASIO type devices. A free piece of software that I use is called Krystal. Do a google on it and you should find it.

There is also a small utility called ASIO4All that is needed I believe.

Audacity is the audio editor I normally used by unless they changed it in version 2 which just came out, version 1.3 didn't see these types of devices, which is why I found Krystal.

I have a small 4 channel USB mixer I use for streaming which allows me to use normal mics and the like.

Good luck,

Jeff

MC5.0.4, Panasonic AG-AC130 HD Cam & DVC30 SD Cam, Sager 9170 laptop, 17" 1920x1080, i7 3rd gen, 8gb ram, dual Hd's, GTX675m graphics. Emachine... [view my complete system specs]

Created Design Video - "Video for the common man"

• Wed, May 9 2012 6:47 PM In reply to

almost40_3girls:

Just to jump in on this even though it is a few days old..

To record from a USB device OUTSIDE of MC, which is what I think the OP was meaning when he said from scratch, you need a software app that will recognize ASIO type devices. A free piece of software that I use is called Krystal. Do a google on it and you should find it.

There is also a small utility called ASIO4All that is needed I believe.

Audacity is the audio editor I normally used by unless they changed it in version 2 which just came out, version 1.3 didn't see these types of devices, which is why I found Krystal.

I have a small 4 channel USB mixer I use for streaming which allows me to use normal mics and the like.

Good luck,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, the intent was to use MC as an all in one solution.  However, there are mixed results from different users, though in Douglas' situation...that's what I was going for.  Anyway, I've chosen to use Adobe Audition which is already part of my CS5 suite.  Once I've done my recording & audio editing there, the completed file will be imported into MC.

Page 3 of 4 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller