Latest post Thu, May 24 2012 4:14 AM by Ervz Tia (Tikboy). 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 2 2012 9:13 AM

Avid FX, Camera DOF Effect

Hello,

I cannot find any related tutorial about this. I'm trying to do photo montage with a 3D-space effect, commonly done in AE. One thing I cannot seem to figure out is the camera dephth-of-field.

I have three separate layers I called foreground, mid, background, each on a seprate Z-axis, inside a 3D container. But I cannot see any change when I switch the camera DOF on. I tried some camera movement/animation. Is it just on my preview?

Any ideas? Any suggested settings/workflow on this kind of project?

I really wish for a richer resource for AvidFX.

Thanks.

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Wed, May 2 2012 9:56 AM In reply to

• flashavid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • England
    • Posts 307
    • Points 3,800

Re: Avid FX, Camera DOF Effect

Ervz Tia (Tikboy):

I really wish for a richer resource for AvidFX.

I agree, I just had to start using Avid FX with the move to MC6 and it's confusing to say the least. Hopefully maybe Douglas could do an overview of the interface, and explain why FX sometimes play or not, what preview to RAM actually does, and should I be concerned about the 'projects' that get saved when you leave the app.

I did find a nice FX called 'Gradient blur' though, which is not exactly what you want but did give a pleasing fake 'shallow focus' type of effect.

MC 8.9.2 Symphony - MacPro 2.66Ghz 12core 48GB ram - OS 10.12.6 - BM 4K Extreme - Sapphire pulse RX580 8GB -SSD boot - 3 x 2TB internal WD caviar black... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 2 2012 12:54 PM In reply to

I got your e-mail through vimeo.

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the Camera DOF functionality in AvidFX. But what I would do is just add a Gaussian Blur filter in between each layer and adjust the blur to your liking to create the depth of field you desire.

Follow me at www.twitter.com/redarrowryan [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 3 2012 2:18 AM In reply to

Thanks guys. Yeah, that's what I imagine as the alternative solution.

It's just natural if the DOF thing work as it is meant to.

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

--

• Thu, May 3 2012 2:39 AM In reply to

BTW, here's the tester im playing with>> FX_PhotoLayers

somebody, please help me decode the DOF mystery!

--

• Thu, May 24 2012 4:14 AM In reply to

Hello, did anyone played with this lately?

--

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller