Latest post Sun, Apr 29 2012 5:28 PM by hbrock. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 27 2012 6:39 PM

• jtpouliot
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 20 2011
    • Posts 70
    • Points 910

Only ProRes 422 AMA's Sporadically Offline in Huge Project

Hi all, here's my situation. I know (I know, I know), that technically it is not reccomended to AMA an entire project and edit with it. I'm not going to get political, but transcoding (100 + hrs of C300, R3D, EX-3 footage) on a lightning-fast turnaround with a Macbook Pro wasn't going to work for us. 

1 - Working with 6.0.1 on OS X 10.7.2. We have about 20 hours of XDCAM EX and 40 of C300 MXF that work fine. Almost rock solid with AMA and with editing multiple versions of multiple sequences with picture-in-picture sync, the works. They work fine. 

2 - Problem: We converted probably 10 hours of 5D and 7D footage to ProRes 422. Put it in a folder, linked to volume.

3 - Now, we have to restart our computers and drives 3 or 4 times a day, because sporadically, that Prores stuff is going offline in our sequences. 

3A - It usually either starts offline, or when we open a sequence, you can see the original media AMA icon go from Online to Offline when opening the sequence. Our sequence is all online on other machines with the same media. 

3B - Tried linking the whole volume to a new bin and then Clip > Relinking the original media, but it gives me an error that AMA cannot find the System OS ID. I just can't AMA link to this footage anymore (except when restarting the whole system), 

3C - Nor can I unmount the disk that it's on and try to link to volume again...

Thanks for all your time and help, AVID community..

Any suggestions?

• Sat, Apr 28 2012 12:50 AM In reply to

• jtpouliot
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 70
    • Points 910

Re: Only ProRes 422 AMA's Sporadically Offline in Huge Project

[ISOLATED] Isolated the problem. Some clips were offline only Avid booted up with a certain bin open.

I had emailed this bin to another cloned system working on a different part of the project. When opened in THEIR project, it caused UNRELATED clips to go offline. When booting MC6 without this bin open, all clips stay online. 

Any thoughts? 

• Sun, Apr 29 2012 3:14 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,110
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Where's the media?  Are you sharing media or do you have multiple copies of the media on duplicate drives?

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sun, Apr 29 2012 4:23 AM In reply to

• jtpouliot
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 70
    • Points 910

Hey hbrock. 

We have multiple copies on different drives, all linked via AMA on identical file paths. So when we share our projects between each other, it all usually links up. We found that one bin with one sequences was giving us many different unrelated offline clips. 

Thoughts? 

Thanks!

• Sun, Apr 29 2012 5:28 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,110
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Outside of looking at the Source Path field on the reference clips of of the Sequences for anomalies, I can't think of anything.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller