Latest post Fri, May 18 2012 11:40 AM by FunkyDragon. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 25 2012 10:27 PM

• snell
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 25 2012
    • Posts 1
    • Points 25

Media Manager and Avid database files

I am new to Avid and have been flying by the seat of my pants.  I thought that I had a pretty good grasp on how the database files work in the Avid Media Folder until I ran across someone elses post.  In his post he said that Media Manager takes place of those database files?  If that's the case how do I fix the dreaded media offline problem (when I know the media is there?)

I am running Media Manager 4.5.13

• Wed, Apr 25 2012 10:33 PM In reply to

• Chris Hocking
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 13 2008
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 179
    • Points 2,070

Re: Media Manager and Avid database files

Try deleting the database files - this will force Avid to re-index them. 

• Mon, Apr 30 2012 4:17 PM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 17 2006
    • Los Angeles / Hollywood
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

media manager!   fun!   a BTW,  this product is horribly out of date-  disconinued 5 or so years ago.

There are two media database files in a "normal" media composer media files folder.   MSMFMID and MSMMMOB are the two.   The first tells the OS where to find stuff-   the 2nd tells composer.    By normal I mean a non-media manager setup.

When you run Media Manager,  or Interplay-  the MSMmmob functions are taken over by the asset manager,  and the MMOB file is removed, leaving the MSMFMID file.

So to bebuild a database,  you throw away the MSMFMID file,  and launch the Media Composer system that MADE the database in the first place-

So in this instance,   Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1/ZAvid_2/msmFMID.pmf   you would trash the database file,  and launch the sytsem called  ZAvid_2,  and run composer.   The database will rebuild.

If the files don't appear on line-  which sometimes they don't as Media Manager goes stupid,  you can try a resync in Media Manager-  

So many systems, so little space. So... everything Avid and a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. [view my complete system specs]

Jeff Sengpiehl ACSR Mac/PC/Unity/ISIS Los Angles CA AIM Docavid - Yahoo Docavid Join the Avid-L- It is ALL there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2 http://tinyurl.com/zl6ez http://tinyurl.com/27qw4o for your Iphone

• Fri, May 18 2012 11:40 AM In reply to

Be VERY Careful about deleting PMRs when you have an asset Manager.  you can knock media offline for all users if you are not careful.

there's also a utility called the "PMR TOOL"  call avid and ask them about it. they can send it to you (if you have a support contract) and you'll likely need some instruction.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller