Latest post Wed, Apr 25 2012 9:26 PM by Kevin Klimek. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 25 2012 9:20 PM

avid 6 offline to online not working

Hi all,

I referenced this popular video on how to do an offline/online edit. I am using files from a Canon 5D Mii and only have one external drive so my workflow is a bit different but essentially the same as the video. All went well until the final step – linking back to the high-res version. From start to finish what I did was:

1 Link to AMA Volume using active bin

2 Changed Format to SD NTSC

3 Transcoded to 3:1(NTSC)

4 Ignored the .new clips

5 Relinked the original clips to the MXF 3:1(NTSC)

6 synced those clips with audio files from a zoom H4N

7 edited and established picture lock

8 draged the MXF 3:1(NTSC) files to my computers trash (to throw the master clips off line. In the video the guy uses different drives, but I only have one external and no server)

9 checked that the footage was offline in avid

10 with the bin selected, linked to AMA volume

11 cursed (AMA brought in a new volume, but did not link the existing clips or sequences to the high-res volume as it did in the video)  

12 tried relinking to high-res via "relink"

13 cursed (avid tels me "No clips were relinked. You may want to select "Al Available Drives", deselect "Relink only to media from current project", deselect..." etc.   When I do all this, it still doesn't work. 

This is pretty much the exact workflow the video uses and all the people commenting on the video tell how it works for them. I checked some workflows on avid that are similar, but nothing seems to work for me. Please Help!

My system specs: 

Avid 6.0.1 Student edition

1TB Western Digital external drive connected via Firewire 800

Mac OS.7.3    Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7    Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Wed, Apr 25 2012 9:26 PM In reply to

Re: avid 6 offline to online not working

What I would do instead (after step 7)...

8. Open your sequence bin and highlight the sequence (that uses the .new clips).

9. Open all AMA bins (not transcoded) with clips online and highlight all of them.

10. Right-click on your sequence, select "Relink."

11. Relink from "All Open Bins."

12. You should have a new .Relinked sequence that once again refers to AMA material.  Now you can transcode your sequence at a higher resolution.

Does that work?

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller