Latest post Thu, Apr 26 2012 2:36 PM by Hans Preuer. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 24 2012 11:31 PM

• ChrisH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 4 2008
    • London
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,410

OS 10.7.3 & MC 5.5 audio sync drift

Hi!

Ive been having sync issues in all new and old previously working MC5.5 projects.

Audio pops, crackles and drifts out of sync. When playback is stopped then started, sync resumes for a while.

Its since moving from Snow Leopard to Lion. 

I fear it's to do with running my old MBP with Lion, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if there's an alternative to reinstalling Snow Leopard. I need OS 10.7 to run other program's and my phone. I've tried a clean install with a new user only installing MC, still no joy! Can't seem to find an original 10.7.1 to see if that works as every time I try to download OS 10.7 installer from the App Store, the only option is the latest version.

Thanks in advance!

C

MBP 2.33GHz Intel Dual Core

3 Gb RAM 667 MHz

MC 5.5.3.3

OS 10.7.3

Work: Freelance, so usually a recent-ish Media Composer and ISIS/Unity Home: MC8.x, OS 10.10.5, 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core i7, Flash HDD... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 25 2012 9:25 AM In reply to

• ChrisH
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,410

Re: OS 10.7.3 & MC 5.5 audio sync drift

It occurred to me after sleeping on it that I could create a dual boot system. It's not ideal, but perhaps a solution... one partition runs Snow Leopard/Avid only, the other partition runs Lion with everything else. If there's an alternative to doing that, I'm all ears.

Does anyone have a bad experience doing this?

Cheers!

Work: Freelance, so usually a recent-ish Media Composer and ISIS/Unity Home: MC8.x, OS 10.10.5, 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core i7, Flash HDD... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 25 2012 2:54 PM In reply to

• ChrisH
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,410

If anyone is interested, I went with the dual boot option.

Performance is back to how it used to be on the Snow Leopard partition, so hopefully this info will help someone else in the future. It is unfortunate how this seems to be the only option due to other constraints set by Apple... Just hope it sticks!

Chris

• Wed, Apr 25 2012 9:27 PM In reply to

• Hans Preuer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 30 2010
    • Austria
    • Posts 22
    • Points 300

My iMac has been filled with a lot of software over time, so my solution is always buying an external firewire 800 drive, install a Mac OS, and boot from that drive by holding down the ALT Key. So, i have a lot of "machines" for different needs. Since the time of the Mac App Store, when you buy Lion once and can use it on all Macs you own, this way is also free of the license problem. And my Avid disc can also stay with the correct supported OS Version when the other machines all have 10.7.4 now (and Mountain Lion for testing).

Hans

Avid MC 8.4.2 Mac, iMac 27" 5K, Core i7, 32GB Memory, 4096 MB Grafic, Mac OS 10.10.5, MacBook Pro, 13", 16GB Memory, Core i7, Mac OS 10.11, iMac... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 26 2012 9:18 AM In reply to

• ChrisH
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,410

Hey Hans,

That's not a bad idea! I take it you don't have performance issues running an OS from a FW drive rather than an internal SATA drive?

Cheers!

• Thu, Apr 26 2012 2:36 PM In reply to

• Hans Preuer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 30 2010
    • Austria
    • Posts 22
    • Points 300

The performance is slightly slower, but that's mostly when booting from the drive and also when starting the programs. Starting MC 6 on the FW drive is slower than starting MC 6 on the internal drive. But when the Avid is up, I didn't see a significant difference. When the thunderbolt drives get cheaper, I will look, if I can see a difference to the FW drives (there should be a difference). For the Mac, until now, I have only LaCie Drives, maybe there are quicker one's.

Hans

Avid MC 8.4.2 Mac, iMac 27" 5K, Core i7, 32GB Memory, 4096 MB Grafic, Mac OS 10.10.5, MacBook Pro, 13", 16GB Memory, Core i7, Mac OS 10.11, iMac... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller