Latest post Sun, Apr 22 2012 3:41 AM by hbrock. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 17 2012 4:08 AM

• Parker
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 28 2011
    • Chicago
    • Posts 25
    • Points 295

Creating and Exporting Surround Sound

I was wondering how one would go about creating and exporting surround sound for a film? Could some one explain in detail on how to do this? I am hoping to mix 5.1 audio for my Moving Image Production final short film.
    -For example, do you only use 6 tracks of audio, 1 for each speaker?

-How do films with a very large amount of audio tracks, feature films, mix it down to just 6 tracks?

-What if you have a sound clip that pans from the left to the right speaker (like a car passing by), what track do you put that clip on? How does that work when exporting?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Parker 

*iMac 27-inch, Late 2009, 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 *MacBook Pro 15-inch, Early 2011, 2.2GHz Intel... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 17 2012 7:30 PM In reply to

• Parker
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 28 2011
    • Chicago
    • Posts 25
    • Points 295

Re: Creating and Exporting Surround Sound

*bump*

*iMac 27-inch, Late 2009, 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 *MacBook Pro 15-inch, Early 2011, 2.2GHz Intel... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 17 2012 7:35 PM In reply to

Parker:
    I was wondering how one would go about creating and exporting surround sound for a film? Could some one explain in detail on how to do this?

Your question is very broad.  It's a bit like "How do I edit"?

While MC allows you to monitor surround sound, and I think you could export the files necessary for a mix, I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't try to create one inside MC.  But I'm not an audio guy, so someone else might have a better answer.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Sun, Apr 22 2012 3:41 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Parker:

-For example, do you only use 6 tracks of audio, 1 for each speaker?

-How do films with a very large amount of audio tracks, feature films, mix it down to just 6 tracks?

-What if you have a sound clip that pans from the left to the right speaker (like a car passing by), what track do you put that clip on? How does that work when exporting?

Extensive sound work is usually done in another application, like ProTools where a multitude of tracks can be mixed down to a 5.1 surround sound mix.  You can do surround sound monitoring and panning in Media Composer 6 if you're so inclined but you'll probably run up against the limitation of only being able to hear 16 audio tracks at one time from your timeline.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller