Latest post Mon, Apr 30 2012 4:40 PM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 6 2012 4:51 AM

• tonys
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 11 2007
    • Posts 97
    • Points 1,400

"missing disk" in setup manager

hello,

we just tried to install a 4th jbod to our unity sr2200,4.2.4, 16port fibre unity system. Up until  this moment everything was perfect (with 3x8TB units). We needed the extra space and read documentation enough to believe you could add a 4th jbod. Problem - after we selected the new drives and hit the "add additional drives" button the system said "creating metadata bla bla" for about 4-5 minutes. Then came up with an error saying cannot create filesystem. I did not take a screen shot of the error but did take one of the event viewer which said that it could create filesystem because not enough blocks - cannot remember. We made a copy of the avid program folder before starting.  The point we are at now is in setup manager under data drive set we have 34 green online, 3 blue spares, 15 missing + 1 raw drive. Obviously in the monitor tool the filemanager will not start.
    Any help / comments would be greatfully appreciated.

• Fri, Apr 6 2012 6:30 AM In reply to

Re: "missing disk" in setup manager

Hi,

I would contact Jeff Sengpiehl (DocAvid) on this one. And I would also include more system specs, firmware revisions, driver versions etc...

My first thought would be that the extra sr2200 has one or more bad drives, but I'm no "pre Lanshare" expert.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Apr 6 2012 7:03 AM In reply to

• tonys
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 97
    • Points 1,400

thanks Jeroen. When you say "contact Jeff Sengpiehl" how do I do that ?

• Sat, Apr 7 2012 6:03 AM In reply to

Search for the user DocAvid on the forum and then mail him. You can also often find him under his own name on facebook.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sat, Apr 7 2012 12:38 PM In reply to

1) Which models are the four JBOD's?  How many drives per each? (your list adds up to 53?)

2) Is your switch configured for 4 JPOD's?

3) Did you specifically back up:

• partition0
    • partitiondump.bin
    • partitiondump.bck
    • recoveryinfo.dat
    • recoveryinfo.bck

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Apr 10 2012 11:30 AM In reply to

• tonys
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 97
    • Points 1,400

Thanks for everyones help. Dont ask me how but we fixed the problem using a combination of:

- setting "allowable missing disks" in the monitor tool to 35 !

- using the midway_server.exe utility to recreate metadata.

Thanks again

Antonio

PS What is the reccommended disk tester/exercisor for avid unity v4.x and v5.x ?

• Mon, Apr 30 2012 4:33 PM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 17 2006
    • Los Angeles / Hollywood
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

Jeroen van Eekeres:

Hi,

I would contact Jeff Sengpiehl (DocAvid) on this one. 

Why talk to that cantankerous clown?  Big Smile

So many systems, so little space. So... everything Avid and a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. [view my complete system specs]

Jeff Sengpiehl ACSR Mac/PC/Unity/ISIS Los Angles CA AIM Docavid - Yahoo Docavid Join the Avid-L- It is ALL there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2 http://tinyurl.com/zl6ez http://tinyurl.com/27qw4o for your Iphone

Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Apr 30 2012 4:40 PM In reply to

Doc Avid:

Why talk to that cantankerous clown?  Big Smile

Some say... he's been around since... and he knows his stuff... My main reason to advice other to talk to you is because you have such a sweet red cat.

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller