Latest post Sun, Apr 1 2012 6:19 AM by hbrock. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 31 2012 3:38 PM

• Pompomstu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 31 2012
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Audio snapping

Hi guys!,

Im new to avid and while I think it runs great, I'm having trouble syncing up audio that was recorded seperately and additional sound effects. The problem is that its snapping the audio to the frames and because I'm working in 24fps its really hard to get the precision I need. At the moment I'm having to export to Final cut pro X as it allows me to move audio freely so any help would be amazing, thanks.

Filed under: , , ,
  • Sat, Mar 31 2012 4:40 PM In reply to

• Steve Julin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 15 2006
    • Michigan
    • Posts 14
    • Points 145
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Re: Audio snapping

Hi Pompomstu,

Select the audio clips with the Segment Mode Keys (the big red or yellow arrow icons) The red arrow lifts and overwrites the clip, the yellow arrow extracts and inserts the clip. This will allow you to move audio clips freely. If you need to move more than one clip - shift click. If you want to snap an audio clip to a position hold down the Cmd key (Mac). Hope this helps.

Steve

Media Composer - Mac Xpress Pro - Mac and PC [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 31 2012 5:02 PM In reply to

But you still will only be able to adjust one frame at a time, you can't have audio* start mid-frame.  

*EDIT: or any clip in Avid.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Apr 1 2012 6:19 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,110
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

If you need to move the clips in sub-frame increments you can do so in a 24p (or 23.98p) project with the film checkbox enabled.  (You can't change this after the project is created so you may need to more your bins into a new project to gain this capability.)  There are some controls for slipping tracks in the Command Pallet that can be moved to a key or a button location in the interface.  Note that slipping a track requires some handle on either side of the clip so you don't run out of underlying media.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller