Latest post Fri, Mar 30 2012 8:40 PM by bkgabe. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 28 2012 10:21 PM

• bkgabe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Conclusive DSLR Dual System Workflow?

Hello Avid Community,
    I've been spending the day scouring the internet for a workflow to sync multiple DSLR cameras with dual system audio.  My company has made it through one season of a realty shoot with a workflow that is more or less a series of work-arounds and I'm eager to see if anyone out there knows a better system.

We shoot on multiple (between 2 and 4) DSLRs in addition to 8 track audio (with TOD TC) and a digital display slate.  More or less, this is our current workflow (after ingest):

Syncing:

- Create Auto sequence from audio files based on TOD TC.

- Lay in DSLR footage to Auto sequence using slate TC.

- Assign AuxTC to audio and video based on TOD TC from  the Auto Sequence.

Grouping:
    - Using Multigroup, create groups using AuxTC

-Set in and out points for each multigroup based on original Auto Sequence in order to eliminate extra audio or video. (that is, audio that does not have corresponding video or vice-versa)

-create sub-groups from groups using ins and outs from the previous step in order to eliminate the extra audio and video.

However, there are a number of issues with this process.  The first is the large number of subgroups that are created.  I have heard told of a process which creates a single group for an entire day’s footage but I’m not sure the legends are true.  It seems that until a DSLR can record a clip longer than 12 mins, multiple subgroups may be the reality.
    The second issues has to do with Match-Framing.  Using our current system, a sub-group edited into a sequence still matches back to the group from which it was created, effectively eliminating any benefit of removing the excess audio and video.

What we’re searching for is a method of producing grouped multicam clips that do not contain excess audio or video and also allow match-framing directly.  If anyone knows a more comprehensive system, please speak up.

All the best!

Our company is on Windows 7 running AMC 5.5.2

• Thu, Mar 29 2012 1:18 AM In reply to

Re: Conclusive DSLR Dual System Workflow?

Why not add the visual TC to AUX TC1 of the video, duplicate the audio TOD to AUX TC1 (Control / Command D the column) so you can create a multi group in one step using Aux TC1?

Also you can keep pressing Match Frame multiple times at the source side to get through layers of groups/subclips until you get to the original master clip.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 30 2012 8:11 PM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 192
    • Points 2,150

You could send TC from the audio recorder to the DSLRs audio input. Then use "read audio TC" in MC to "convert" the audio TC to AuxTC...
    Media Composer 2018.12.6 - Windows 10 - Dell 8520 - Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K - Interplay and NEXIS storage - Avid Artist Color. [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

• Fri, Mar 30 2012 8:31 PM In reply to

• bkgabe
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

knejmann:
    You could send TC from the audio recorder to the DSLRs audio input. Then use "read audio TC" in MC to "convert" the audio TC to AuxTC...

that's actually a very interesting idea.  We would need to invest in wireless packs for each camera but I think it would work!

until then, I found this awesoeme system for accomplishing what I wanted with the groups:

http://viewfromthecuttingroomfloor.wordpress.com/2008/04/17/multigroups/

• Fri, Mar 30 2012 8:36 PM In reply to

Just be aware that DSRL audio is consistently 1-2 frames ahead of the video (likely caused by the processing of the video). Thus, your audio TC will be off by 1-2 frames.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 30 2012 8:40 PM In reply to

• bkgabe
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Dom Q. Silverio:

Thus, your audio TC will be off by 1-2 frames.

a good point.  it seems like there would be a market for a third party device with TC input and audio output that could be Jammed and maintain sync for the day.  anyone know if there's something like that out there?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller