Latest post Mon, May 6 2013 4:45 PM by Holdenw1. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 20 2012 8:06 PM

• swatchpost
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 4 2008
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,165

Alexa DNxHD/MXF support

Could someone please help me with these workflow questions?

I just read the white paper about the ALEXA DNxHD support and they are suggesting the way to get the MXF media into the Avid is through AMA. For editorial on a commercial that might be great, but for a feature, I don't like that option.

If the ALEXA spits out an ALE file and MXF media, couldn't we do the same workflow as on many RED shoots where you put the MXF media into your Avid MediaFiles folder, import the ALE into a bin, and BAAM! everything's linked, ready to edit? Am I missing something?

Also, is the Alexa able to produce the ARRIRAW files AND MXF files, so the offline is done with the MXF media, but the grade/online is done with the ARRIRAW?

Thanks,

Yusef

MC v5.5.3, 2x2.93GHz 8Core Mac Pro, 32GB RAM, 10.7.5, QT v7.6.3 ; Avid MC v5.5.3, 2x3.06GHz MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 10.7.5, QT v7.6.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 20 2012 9:11 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,692
    • Points 44,400

Re: Alexa DNxHD/MXF support

Check out the whitepaper.

http://www.arri.de/camera/digital_cameras/downloads.html

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Mar 20 2012 9:15 PM In reply to

• swatchpost
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,165

I did check out the whitepaper, which is why I'm asking the question in the first place. Is there a certain one I'm not seeing?

MC v5.5.3, 2x2.93GHz 8Core Mac Pro, 32GB RAM, 10.7.5, QT v7.6.3 ; Avid MC v5.5.3, 2x3.06GHz MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 10.7.5, QT v7.6.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 20 2012 9:17 PM In reply to

swatchpost:
    to get the MXF media into the Avid is through AMA. For editorial on a commercial that might be great, but for a feature, I don't like that option.

See AMA as an import module. AMA-link to the MXF files, then choose Clip->Consolidate. This will keep the clips at their native resolution, but copy them over into new containers in the Avid MXF Mediafiles folder.

Thing is: the Arri seems to be outputting Op1A MXF files (with video and multiple audio tracks in a single file; whereas Avid MXF media has one track of audio or video per file). So you can't just toss them into the MediaFiles folders, but you most certainly can get them there fast.

swatchpost:
    is the Alexa able to produce the ARRIRAW files AND MXF files, so the offline is done with the MXF media, but the grade/online is done with the ARRIRAW?
    I understand that this is possible, but not necessarily recommended (you would need to double check that all the clips exist in both formats, are of equal length, and have matching metadata).

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 20 2012 9:32 PM In reply to

• swatchpost
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,165

Thanks Job.

Yes, the Clip->Consolidate seems like the way to do it. It's interesting to me that there seems to be a dearth of specific information about this workflow for features. Don't know if the workflow is so super new that no one's gone through it yet, or if I'm just missing where all this information is.

Cheers,

Yusef

• Tue, Mar 20 2012 10:15 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,692
    • Points 44,400

I think you are correct, this is a very new workflow.  What type of specific info are you looking for?

There is this thread:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/107339.aspx

and this thread:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/107160.aspx

Anything specific you are interested in?  I only have spot experience with Alexa.  But I can say that most of my research about ArriRaw shows that the cost is so high that few people are using it at this point.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Mar 20 2012 10:42 PM In reply to

From what I was able to find out, you can shoot DNxHD or ProRes, for video-style post, or you can shoot ArriRAW, for RAW post. If you're shooting ArriRAW (which appears to be only slowly catching on), you will need some editing proxies (and likely the same applies for longform DNxHD or ProRes, since you generally don't want to have to handle huge 4x4 clips during editorial). While you can use the DNxHD capabilities of the Alexa for creating those proxies, the most sure bet would be to transcode the ArriRAW files to (DNxHD) proxies for editing, ensuring 100% match between proxies and actual source (also metadata-wise).

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 21 2012 4:21 PM In reply to

• swatchpost
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,165

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Did more research this morning and came up with a few options, which lead to some more questions that maybe you can help me out with:

1. Can the Alexa spit out two different codecs at one time? Obviously, I want a "digital negative" codec, like the ProRes 4:4:4. But then I'd also like the DNxHD 115 4:2:2 for offline, AMA it in and consolidate to get the right wrapper. Have any of you ever seen this as a possibility?

2. Seems like the Fotokem's NEXTlab is possibly the best solution. It can take an ARRIRAW file and simultaneously transcode it to whatever DNx codec I need for offline, while backing up to on-board RAID/LTO, creates Avid bins with the media ready to go, preserves LUTs to later use in DI, and creates dailies for producers, etc.

• Mon, May 6 2013 4:36 PM In reply to

• Holdenw1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 17 2009
    • Posts 57
    • Points 695

Hey, just got off an Alexa job with almost the exact workflow you're going for. To answer your question:

1. The Alexa can only write Prores or DNX to an SXS card. To record raw you need an external recorder. Either a codex or one of the new Gemini 444s. If you go with a codex, be aware that they currently only connect to a computer through mini-SAS so you'd need that specific PCI card. As far as onlining goes, I just sent out an AAF of the DNX cut to Davinci and was able to conform the RAW media there (I don't think Avid can ingest raw files but I didn't try either).

2. Never heard of that device but if it does what you're saying that'd be amazing. Let us know how it works out for you!

• Mon, May 6 2013 4:38 PM In reply to

• Holdenw1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 57
    • Points 695

Just looked at that Nextlab thing. WOW! That's a DITs dream. If you have the budget for that thing you should definitely try it out. I really want to know how it works

• Mon, May 6 2013 4:45 PM In reply to

• Holdenw1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 57
    • Points 695

Actually, after reading up on the nextlab thing, it's more of a DIT station. I don't think you can run a BNC cord to it to record the RAW sdi out of the camera. Even if you had this, you'd still need an external recorder to capture the raw signal.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller