Latest post Wed, Mar 21 2012 2:58 AM by AndrewAction. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 19 2012 11:01 PM

• gunsmoke
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 26 2009
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 14
    • Points 190

Thunderbolt Raids for iMac, Media Composer 5.5.3

Hello there,

I just wanted to double check before I spend a few Dollars on some good raids: I'm running MC 5.5.3 on an iMac 3.1 GHz i5 with OSX 10.6.8. I've got firewire and thunderbolt pots. I heard that thunderbolt is not supported for this version of MC, only when upgrading to 6 which will also mean upgrading to Lion (which I don't want at this stage). Is that true, can I not simply plug in the raids and use it with my Avid? Which ones would you suggest, any recommondations? Thanks for your help. 

+++ MC 5.5.3 on iMac 3.1 GHz i5 with OSX 10.6.8. firewire & thunderbolt +++

iMAC 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB DDR, OSX 10.7 Lion, Media Composer 6.0.3.2, Black Magic Intensity Extreme, Squeeze 8.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 20 2012 12:32 AM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,223
    • Points 15,380
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Thunderbolt Raids for iMac, Media Composer 5.5.3

Here's the skinny.  They'll work.  But they just won't work perfectly as advertised.  The amazing speed won't be as amazing and a few Media Composer functions will be clunky.  Namely the ones that burn paths to/from drives (like the AMA transcode workflow, etc).  It's the exact version environment you mentioned... pigeon-holes you.  And by the time you are able to upgrade to Lion, it'll be Mountain Lion or later, and the SandyBridge technology that Thunderbolt is built on will be upgraded to IvyBridge.  In short (too late haha) if Thunderbolt drives won't benefit you at this very moment, it is more 'worth it' to go with a different option.  

If not (and you are indeed set on them), then steer far clear of the 12TB Pegasus option.  Stick with the 4TB.  Also look at the LaCie Little Big".  (For the simple reason that the 12TB is the most problematic and thus holds the worst ebay resale value.)

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Tue, Mar 20 2012 1:03 AM In reply to

• gunsmoke
    • Not Ranked
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 14
    • Points 190

Hi, thanks for that, very helpful! Looks like a Firewire raid will serve me best then at this very moment (and will save me a few bucks). Any recommendations there? Thanks heaps!

iMAC 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB DDR, OSX 10.7 Lion, Media Composer 6.0.3.2, Black Magic Intensity Extreme, Squeeze 8.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 20 2012 12:15 PM In reply to

• TVPROD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 3 2010
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 25
    • Points 405

I read bad things about Promise RAID thunderbolt, but we use one successfully !

We use the 12TB at our facilities in Paris, on an iMac to test it with 5.5.3.

We have edited documentaries (52'), multicam 2h30 music concert with out any problem !

Fast, not so noisy under the deck.

We have only one panel that says "NO IPHONE HERE" : if you approach an iPhone from the disk, it will disconnect !

That's the only bad thing, but now we know, so no more ejected drive at all.

TVPROD,

Paris, France.

Avid Media Composer and Symphony on MACS (5.5, 6) with Mojos and Blackmagic cards / Caldigit SAS storage / Resolve for grading [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 21 2012 2:45 AM In reply to

• gunsmoke
    • Not Ranked
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 14
    • Points 190

Great, thanks for your comments!

• Wed, Mar 21 2012 2:58 AM In reply to

TVPROD:
    if you approach an iPhone from the disk, it will disconnect !
    With a 4TB Promise thunderbolt RAID arriving here in the next couple of days I am curious as to how close you have to be for an iphone to cause this problem (not that anyone here is silly enough to have an iphoneGeeked

Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller