Latest post Sat, Mar 17 2012 1:09 PM by mrzolwik. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 17 2012 2:13 AM

• nat_magee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 7 2012
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

MAC to PC consolidation

To start, I apologize if this has been asked before, but I've searched for a while and haven't found anything that's helped.

I have a project that needs to be moved from an internal mac hard drive to a PC "workspace". Essentially, the workspace is a remotely acessable drive on a network.

In retrospect, I should have put all of the raw footage on an external drive, then edited the project off the external, easily able to move between computers. Alas, I didn't, and now I'm in trouble.

In my mind, I'd be able to consolidate EVERYTHING to a 500 gb external hard drive, open the project on the PC (through the external), and then consolidate again to the "workspace".

Basically, I've tried to consolidate numerous times onto drives, but the Mac won't let me. If I'm trying to consolidate to anything that would be remotely considered "acceptable" by a PC (exFat, etc..) Avid (on my mac) gives me an error, reading "Exception: Operation not supported, filename:/volumes/HARDDRIVENAME/Avid MediaFiles/MXF/Creating/creating1. 

I'm aware that this person had the same problem:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/97180/557132.aspx

and the responders told him reformat his HD to HFS+. Now, that would be all well and good, but my next step is opening this entire project on a PC, and I don't believe it would like to read off an HFS+ drive.

I've also tried reformatting to MS-DOS (FAT) with no luck, and the same error.

I know that it's possible to do stuff to the files themselves (reindexing, deleting the "1" folder) but that stuff scares me. Is there any way to do this without messing around with folders and deleting things? If that's the only way, can someone give me a step by step? I'm relatively new to this.

A little background on the footage itself:

Each shot is an .MXF file that came directly from a P2 card. I took all of the contents of the P2, dragged them onto a folder on my Macintosh HD, and then got them into Avid by "linking to AMA". They are all autosynced with audio that is in a separate folder. 

In addition to any info you already know, if there are any threads that already cover something like this, please link it. Thank you for reading!

• Sat, Mar 17 2012 5:32 AM In reply to

Re: MAC to PC consolidation

Nat:

Try formatting your drive for NTFS.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Mar 17 2012 5:47 AM In reply to

• nat_magee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 7 2012
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Thanks, but..

I reformatted my drive to NTFS (on my mac) using the program Tuxera, but no luck. The same exact error message came up. Could this be because of the way I imported the footage into avid? I find it hard to believe that it is this difficult to consolidate stuff to a windows compatible hard drive.

I've tried messing around with relinking, but again, I'm not really sure where to begin there. Thank you for the help. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• Sat, Mar 17 2012 1:09 PM In reply to

• mrzolwik
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 25 2010
    • Poland
    • Posts 20
    • Points 240

Starting form the version 10.6.5 of OSX Mac started to support the exFAT formated drives (That's because of the SDXC cards support). Version 6 of Media Composer can consolidate media to external drive exFAT formated. It doesn't work with the capture, but works with consolidation. If you still use pre 6 MC you can just reconsolidate to the the media to the single folder. It's quite easy. Just rename the folder "1" to any other numer, then consolidate to the same (or any other) drive. After that, all your media will be in the "1" folder. Just copy it into into external exFAT fomrated (or NTFS if you use some hacks on system like Paragon, Tuxera or forcing original driver to write) drive keeping the path /Avid Mediafiles/MXF/1 and that's all. You've got your media outside. If you know where are your media exactly (which filders in MXF catalog), you can just copy them to external drive and will be the same, even beter, but make sure, that Media Composer is closed during copying. Otherwise it will start to scan the folders inside Avid Mediafiles (you can also change the name for the copying operation, and then change to proprer).

Macbook Pro Retina, Avid Media Composer 8.3. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller