Latest post Tue, Mar 6 2012 12:49 AM by George Angeludis. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 4 2012 5:50 AM

My Story with upgrading to Avid Media composer 6.01 from Final Cut Pro

Hello,

I have heard all these great things how "Pros" use Avid Media Composer.

I have a well beefed up Mac Pro, and run 12 TB internal HD  32GB mem, external 30 tb raid (4 Separate).

I have the entire Adobe 5.5 suite and use it for some stuff, and Final cut Pro for others.

Been using those since they came out and worked perfect.

I purchased the Avid MEdia Composer 6.0.1 Cross-grade from FCP.

I installed AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 6.0.1  on 10.7.2 Mac and it  crashes during startup when loading "initializing sound effect mode window". Right out of the box!!!

I went to various forums at Avid, some great others arrogant and tell me how stupid i am because i did not read "Matrix" and how it is "Apples fault" because they change OS version like diapers. 

I have searched the net but all I found was frustrated users complaining how AVID takes there money then tells them they did not read that there system is not supported. The Blogs, write ups tell you to get your money back and NEVER buy AVID they are a shady company and over priced and unreliable software.

I am a problem solver and realize when changing things you have to work around hurdles.

I do not want to give up so easy. And want a college try at it. So I have stuck out the process and realized that the blogs are correct. It starts With AVID's Website....

AVID lost all my purchase history and over 30k of software because they changed there web site, and bought some companies. I wrote Email asking to "Re-store" my account and they said they could not, and referred me to someone else useless who said that all my licenses worth over 30k were lost and there is nothing AVID could do.

Then I spent a day trying to link accounts within AVID's own website because they are so incompetent they cant even link there own databases (That loose all your history). A Total frustrating train wreck. Not to mention a TRAGIC loss of money an license codes badly needed from the past to "RESTORE a crashed system" GONE END, FINITO!! Avid could care less.

I tried calling but  help line was put on hold, and i needed to pay something or sign up for  some special technical support and now that my computer is updated to 10.7.3 they will not support.

AVIDS answer is for format and re-install entire system. (Re-install a "Clean" copy of Lion 10.2.2)

Remember That is what i started with when i Purchased the Upgrade and it did not even launch MEdia Composer 6.01 without crashing hard.

Of course now remember that FCP, Adobe Premiere, AFter Effects, Sony Vegas, Nuke etc all run perfectly no crashes currently. My machine has been rock solid. If it was not then I could not rent my editing studio out.

And could not feed my family/

The answer to do a "Clean Install" comes from some idiot! who does not own a system with years, 300k of plugins libraries, footage libraries and dongles, and licenses .. That would entail me calling multiple vendors, getting license codes, Authorizations, a Lawyer,letters, and paying for lost licenses, re-paying for Digital river's downloads to send links, as when you re-due you install you have to re-install all those years of plugins re-authorize them and pay for the Ilock re-authorizations as some require it, some companies have gone under etc.

Not an answer for anyone who works professional. Nor Have anyone including Apple ever asked me to do that.

I am in my 50's and been using Mac software and Hardware before avid even existed. (I remember when Protools came out and I purchased a huge expensive system for my Mac years back and then they wanted me to "Re-Buy" a newer version that would run on new OS after spending over 100k on system.

Anyone that tells you to Re-Format a machines is totally illiterate in OS's and how the Mac functions. A lazy "I have no clue what I'm doing answer".

Now here I sit. Believing that AVID was a great company, with that personal private "Caring" and gentle support and had a "Clue" as to how important people who actually work in the business, machines stay up and running and require immediate attention.

I was tricked by fancy search engine priority marketing schemes, false advertising and fancy pictures into soliciting Victims into the "Elite Club". Well the club serves dog food for appetizers when you get in and the wine glasses have molded grape juice in them. Fake Silver ware, really plastic. And the main course is Road kill.

It is a true story, and Avid with its Marketeers running the show and the Suits running the image, not the programmers and techs will delete my story. As if someone read it then they might not be able to get the one off of taking2-5k from a victim.

No one has replied to my questions, no answers, no software that works!! Just a total nightmare and HUGE HUGE HUGE waste of money.

For those looking to join the "Elite Big Leagues" try Adobe, Nuke, or Sony Vegas, or Apple FCP. They all run fine, and don't crash.

In Fairness to AVID the PC systems may work great. But mine does not, and the others who post on the forums AVID censors and deletes so that you cant google it or find out about the "Real Story". Avid MEdia Composer runs great on 5.5 and older outdated macs. No argument there, but for those trying to jump or cross-grade.... Just take 30k, and throw it off a bridge somewhere. At least you feel like you gained something!!

As for Avid please fix your products, blaming third party's for your buggy software, and crashes, and BIN problems will only make it worse. "MAN UP" and send a apology letter and offer some help or refunds until you actually can support the current MAC OS and have a software that can run over an hr without a hard crash.

Would I recommend the product? honestly I could not say, as mine does not work, and to be fare I need to actually get it to run to test it then tell everyone what i think. That is a Honest fair answer!

Kind Regards,

SJG PhD

• Sun, Mar 4 2012 6:03 AM In reply to

Re: My Story with upgrading to Avid Media composer 6.01 from Final Cut Pro

This post eeks so much trolling I don't even know where to start.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 4 2012 6:18 AM In reply to

I posted my story.

That was the title of the forum?.

Would you like to lie and tell my story for me? Is that how Avid works?

If you tell the truth you are slandered? Proves my point... Thank you

Who runs this forum? Children?

I am sorry for you acting like a 10 year old with "Trolls" and child like fanticitical figures 

I live in the real world were there is millions of dollars at stake, careers, lives, money, fame, I have won Emmey's. Awards, and love this business.

I did not get there living in some fantasy world of "Trolls" 

I worked from the bottom, spending millions on equipment and property, tools.

Its called Talent, education, and love of what you do.

"Love the business and tell the truth".

"Learn from your mistakes"

You just proved my statements of the "Elite Club"

That is not a professional company....No

Kind Regards,

SJG PhD

• Sun, Mar 4 2012 6:29 AM In reply to

Steve_Jobs_Ghost:
    I am sorry for you acting like a 10 year old with "Trolls" and child like fanticitical figures 

Says the person calling himself Steve Jobs Ghost PhD

And this reply only strengthen my original assertion.

By the way Vegas is Windows only.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 4 2012 7:15 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Steve_Jobs_Ghost:
    No one has replied to my questions, no answers

Quite a few people, including Marianna Montague of Avid, have answered you.  I answered one of the threads you started today.

I've asked Marianna to take a look at your recent posts.  I think you'll hear from her very soon.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Sun, Mar 4 2012 7:56 AM In reply to

• Euchrow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 15 2006
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 268
    • Points 3,530

Dom Q. Silverio:

This post eeks so much trolling I don't even know where to start.

Maybe some hyperbole, but he has a point if he says MC6.0 is buggy as hell... I can't use it either due to all the bugs in the Full Screen Playback. And no, a reformat didn't help.

Luckily, MC5.53 is so solid. 

Symphony 2019.6 on Mac Pro Westmere 3.33Ghz 6 core, 48Gb Ram, Nvidia GTX 980, High Sierra 10.13.6, BMD Ultra Monitor 2019.6 on MacBook Pro Retina 2018... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 4 2012 8:48 AM In reply to

Yes she did and referred me to the links on the Website that are out dated, send you in a loop and refer to 10.6, and confused me more. As The "Matrix is not correct or matches the Avid Media Composer website features and claims.

One article states Mac does not support NVDIA, yet Apple has shipped with NVDIA for 5 years and has contract for CUDA. Another the Guides send you to outdated Mac 10.6 page which has nothing to do with current OS or Video cards shipping in Mac Pro. 2 years outdated. The PC Side of it is 99% Perfect!!. But Just follow the flow on Mac and current OS and video cards, click on the guides and links you will go what...???

Its a mess. Could be so simple.

I own other AVID products and enjoy them.

This Media Composer 6.0.1 has been a nightmare!!.

So I just get more confused. No Help, out big bucks, called a Troll from some kid?

Its like a "Cult" not a company I used to work with Pro Tools guys, when the company was truly professional and kind.

I am sorry if it is not what people want to hear, maybe i say it wrong? If the truth hurts, then listen and move on. Fix the issues, resolve the customers problems. The product improves and sales go up.

See  I am a customer, fresh who just paid big money for a product. The product does not work. When Asked for help I get called a troll. When I provide the Tools as an Apple Beta Tester to your company to solve the bug, I get no reply and treated like dirt.

I spent gobs of money on Sapphire, Boris, Red-giant, and many others plugins for AVID. Believing that it would run solid. 

Mariana is kind and professional, and gave me some direction, now unless i did not get her emails I have emailed her 4 times, no one has even responded or read the crash to help.

So to say people have responded is not true!!. You did!! And Thank you. Marianna did And I thanked her.

Finally some one did help me in another forum, a moderator in another section who is professional and trying to help. He got right on solving the problem.

Now is that so hard for people here?

See Maybe I am going about this wrong, Gary (Greenfield)  YOUR CEO was a cool guy I new at Perigean when he was CEO there years back. Also Best Friends with my X Wife who worked with him.

He is ultra professional, I will just ask him to look at my posts, and maybe he will give me some answers as he can hire and fire at will! Cool Professional will laugh and help.

I am sure you all are on good terms and speak to him on a regular basis?

He values my business and my friendship.  Also wants AVID like me to become the world leader in Video and audio. 

Then again yo do not really know who i amCool

Thanks for removing the guys troll remark. 

• Sun, Mar 4 2012 8:48 AM In reply to

Yes she did and referred me to the links on the Website that are out dated, send you in a loop and refer to 10.6, and confused me more. As The "Matrix is not correct or matches the Avid Media Composer website features and claims.

One article states Mac does not support NVDIA, yet Apple has shipped with NVDIA for 5 years and has contract for CUDA. Another the Guides send you to outdated Mac 10.6 page which has nothing to do with current OS or Video cards shipping in Mac Pro. 2 years outdated. The PC Side of it is 99% Perfect!!. But Just follow the flow on Mac and current OS and video cards, click on the guides and links you will go what...???

Its a mess. Could be so simple.

I own other AVID products and enjoy them.

This Media Composer 6.0.1 has been a nightmare!!.

So I just get more confused. No Help, out big bucks, called a Troll from some kid?

Its like a "Cult" not a company I used to work with Pro Tools guys, when the company was truly professional and kind.

I am sorry if it is not what people want to hear, maybe i say it wrong? If the truth hurts, then listen and move on. Fix the issues, resolve the customers problems. The product improves and sales go up.

See  I am a customer, fresh who just paid big money for a product. The product does not work. When Asked for help I get called a troll. When I provide the Tools as an Apple Beta Tester to your company to solve the bug, I get no reply and treated like dirt.

I spent gobs of money on Sapphire, Boris, Red-giant, and many others plugins for AVID. Believing that it would run solid. 

Mariana is kind and professional, and gave me some direction, now unless i did not get her emails I have emailed her 4 times, no one has even responded or read the crash to help.

So to say people have responded is not true!!. You did!! And Thank you. Marianna did And I thanked her.

Finally some one did help me in another forum, a moderator in another section who is professional and trying to help. He got right on solving the problem.

Now is that so hard for people here?

See Maybe I am going about this wrong, Gary (Greenfield)  YOUR CEO was a cool guy I new at Perigean when he was CEO there years back. Also Best Friends with my X Wife who worked with him.

He is ultra professional, I will just ask him to look at my posts, and maybe he will give me some answers as he can hire and fire at will! Cool Professional will laugh and help.

I am sure you all are on good terms and speak to him on a regular basis?

He values my business and my friendship.  Also wants AVID like me to become the world leader in Video and audio. 

Then again yo do not really know who i amCool

Thanks for removing the guys troll remark. 

• Sun, Mar 4 2012 9:27 AM In reply to

So:

You don't believe pros use Avid.

You run Sony Vegas (which is PC only) perfectly on a Mac.

You didn't read the instructions for installing MC6.

You read blogs and write ups saying that Avid is a shady company that sells over priced unreliable software and didn't try the 30-day free trial for MC6.

You have kept no records of $30K worth of Avid purchases.

You want an apology letter.

You are a professional who calls himself "Steve Jobs Ghost."

You call the people who run this forum "children."

You've won Emmys and can't spell it.

You are famous and work with millions of dollars and feel the $995 upgrade cost was a loss of big bucks.

You know the CEO of Avid and expect him to fire people at will for you.

You say no one knows who you are.

Well, I do know who you are. I've lived in Hollywood going on twelve years now. And every time some one has said, "You don't know who I am," or "I can ruin your career," or "I'll make sure you never work again," they have been an emotionally unstable baby who, when challenged, proves to have no real power and winds up craving some type of cathartic bonding at the end of it all. No thanks.

And I will never know know what happens with all this b/c I will ignore you from here on out.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sun, Mar 4 2012 9:50 AM In reply to

• GT
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 392
    • Points 4,280

BobbyMurcerFan:
    And I will never know know what happens with all this b/c I will ignore you from here on out.

+1 Yes

MC Ver 8.7, Intel Core I5, NVidia Quadro FX 570, 16Gb Ram, 250 Gb system drive, 2 Tb Render/Media drive, Windows 7 64bit Pro, QT 7.6.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 5 2012 6:17 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,393
    • Points 97,070

It's funny.  I was chatting with my son on the weekend about another forum that he and I check out from time to time.  On that one there had just been a series of vitriolic posts by someone with a user name that was equally absurd.  The posts were ultimately pulled by the moderators for bad language and abuse.

We came to the conclusion that those sorts of names are usually the ones that 13-16 year old boys pick.

Of course I can't say whether that applies here.  What I can say is that Avid's CEO would have a hard time sacking most of the people on these forums, if that's what SJG PhD is suggesting.  In case you haven't noticed, "Steve", this is a user forum.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 5 2012 6:56 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

jwrl:
    this is a user forum.

Yep, even those of us who are moderators are only Avid users who've volunteered to help other users - not employed by Avid at all.

I was gratified to hear that apparently the CEO gave the same answer that I and later others did concerning a probable plugin problem causing the crash.  Of course, none of us can actually remove a bad plugin from another user's system.  We can only give our best advice on what the user must do to remedy a problem like that.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Mon, Mar 5 2012 1:02 PM In reply to

jwrl:

We came to the conclusion that those sorts of names are usually the ones that 13-16 year old boys pick.

Of course I can't say whether that applies here.

Well, SJG "claims" to be in his 50s. I guess we'll never really know if that's true or not.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Mar 5 2012 3:59 PM In reply to

I think what people are saying here is you are not going to make any "friends" on this forum by:

1.) using a tounge-in-cheek username somewhat mocking a well-respected business professional

2.) posting inflamitory messages like the one above

3.) generally being combative.

4.) name dropping your connections to the CEO

if you correct those things (pick a better user name) you'll get much better traction from the other users here.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Mon, Mar 5 2012 9:16 PM In reply to

Like i said a "Cult"  and "Elite Club".

I am a new user, if you can't offer any intelligent answer to the CRASH Code then clam it up. as you are out of your league, and just looking for a bar-fight.

1. I have all my friends i need.

2. I respect people who allow free speech (Being a veteran from Iraq)

3. I fought for the rights that you enjoy so you could slander me and whip me.

4.  It is embarrassing reading some peoples posts to know that they are so un-happy and insecure that that feel threatened by anyone who does not hand out free candy and pansy flowers on there posts.

5. I could care less what others think about me , as most don't "Think" I got my friends!

6. I did not come her to pass out Flowers and candy to the peanut gallery, came for some answers to a real bug. (Said it the way I say things, sorry it bothers you)

7. I did get my solution, solved it myself with some help form MIT Media lab and a member of the Board of Directors.

Again I apologize for not saying what you want me to say, and how you want me to say it. And all the touchy feely good thoughts you need  on your "Private" forum.

While others are busy flaming me, I solved many other users problems who emaild there crashed threads. 

I am glad there are users here who appreciate my help, and contributions. I will continue to de-bug crash dumps.

But this is my last response to this group as to keep this forum from becoming a "Whipping boy club".

Others read your posts and will never join! You don't realize how bad you all look? It is hurting AVID.

As to the moderators and admins, they do great! My heart goes out to them for putting up with all this.

Thanks for your help and sugestions. Well noted!

Kind Regards,

SJG PhD

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller