Latest post Mon, Feb 27 2012 6:06 PM by Pat Horridge. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 27 2012 10:22 AM

• mikedavis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 27 2012
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Transcoding AMA linked clips

Hi,

Can anyone help with this?  It's driving me slightly mental.

I'm trying to conform a sequence out of media composer 6, and the editor has (despite being asked not to) linked in a whole load of clips via AMA.  Having tried to export either an AAF (with links, not embedded media) or a Quicktime reference, I've learnt that Avid won't allow any kind of export if any clip involved has an AMA link.

Which is fine, you should be able to transcode those clips, right?  Except when I try doing this, I get an error message after ten seconds saying 'NEMFileWriter has detected upstream pipe stall'.

This comes up whether it's the sequence (a 6-minute edit with 100+ cuts) or an individual clip.  Looking online, people have this issue with massive files, like an hour long, but this is happening with a source clip 20seconds long, 3.5MB in size.  Can't see why that should be difficult.  The same clip will import in fine in five seconds, just not transcode.  And the only way I can see round it is to identify all AMA'd clips, spread over 30+ bins, manually import and individually cut them back in, copying all effects and transitions back over.  Which would take an age.  The clips are from mixed sources; cineform, flash XDR, quicktime H264 - all of which play back fine.  It's ingesting to a massive server with 7TB of space, or I've tried a local 1TB hard drive, both same problem.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm running Media Composer 6 on Windows 7.

• Mon, Feb 27 2012 10:42 AM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,407
    • Points 15,490

Re: Transcoding AMA linked clips

Check here are in media creation set all the correct disks.
    William

AVID MC2018.12.1 - dongle, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 390.77, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.11, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 27 2012 12:21 PM In reply to

You don't need to search all the bins.

Just make sure a copy of the sequence is in it's own bin and then turn on the bin display settingt o show referecne clips.

With the video column selected you can then sort and collect all the AMA related clips used in the sequence.

Then try and Transcode just those clips.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Feb 27 2012 12:58 PM In reply to

• mikedavis
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Thanks for help so far.

Yes, media creation is all set to go to the right place - it imports there as a new clip fine, just not transcoding an existing AMA clip when it's already in a sequence.

And true, I could bring up the show ref clips, that's a good point, but shouldn't right-clicking the actual sequence and transcoding that do the same thing in one go, or is that a bit optimistic for Avid?

Thanks

• Mon, Feb 27 2012 1:04 PM In reply to

• mikedavis
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

It's that NEMFileWriter upstream pipe stall message that keeps coming up whenever I transcode an AMA file that's the issue.

Has anyone encountered it and figured out what causes it, so I can fix that?

• Mon, Feb 27 2012 1:12 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

I have seen that error message, I suppose that you have upgraded to 6,01 but that didn´t help me anyway.

It happens when I try to transcode spanned clips directly from my Cam, if I remove the card from the cam and put it into a card reader instead , same cable - same connection , transcode works well

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Feb 27 2012 5:45 PM In reply to

• mikedavis
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

The avidmediafiles location where everything is stored is on a shared 32TB storage server, which is otherwise working fine as far as ingesting is concerned.  It's in a designated project folder so no-one elses' Avid can interfere (hell, learnt that the hard way), which is mapped directly so avid can access what it sees to be 'top-level'.  Again, apart from this, it ingests there fine.  And speed shouldn't be a problem there (again, tiny file sizes we're talking here).

There is another Avid here, again MC6, running on a mac pro osx10.6, and hooked into a separate folder.  THAT one, as of this afternoon, is again importing fine, but the Capture tool (when recording analog audio for voiceovers) gives a whiny error message of: 'Exception: Operation Not Supported filename Creating....."

Which is a separate bundle of fun.

• Mon, Feb 27 2012 6:06 PM In reply to

I'd guess it's the spanned clips issue which seems to be handled fine by import and badly by AMA Transcode.

You may end up having to import those clips and then eye matching the content and cutting it in to replace the AMA clips that failed to transcode.

I generally end up doing a bit of this with just about every AMA linked job but it's still way faster than importing the lot!

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller