Latest post Mon, Jul 6 2015 5:14 PM by aVienna. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 24 2012 11:15 PM

• BrettG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 18 2012
    • Posts 38
    • Points 555

Need help converting Avid consolidated MXF file to MOV file

Hi all!

I need help in putting together a procedure to convert an Avid consolidated .mxf file into a .mov file for another user without an Avid system.

I thought this might be just as easy as downloading a converter that would re-wrap the file, but as I understand it, Avid uses its own metadata when creating .mxf files and so all converter tools I've tested have not been any help.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

• Fri, Feb 24 2012 11:57 PM In reply to

Re: Need help converting Avid consolidated MXF file to MOV file

Select the clip in Avid, File>Export - choose QT settings as needed.  

But the bigger question is what is the other user doing with the file?  If you're just sending something for them to look at, you can just export it.  If they require some editing ability, what system are they using?  Once they are done working the file over, will you need to access it in your own system again?

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sat, Feb 25 2012 12:05 AM In reply to

• BrettG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 18 2012
    • Posts 38
    • Points 555

Thanks for the quick reply Kenton!

I am actually batch converting an entire external drive full of consolidated .mxf files into .mov files for the client. The consolidated .mxf files are all newly created master clips, representing the subclips created by our editors. I was hoping to not have to import the subclips into a timeline, but just batch convert the consolidated files from the external drive. There are about 300 subclips per project, so I don't think exporting each to QT from Avid would be a timely way to go. Thanks for any further help!

• Sat, Feb 25 2012 1:55 AM In reply to

BrettG:

I don't think exporting each to QT from Avid would be a timely way to go.

You don't have to export one-by-one.  You can select a batch of clips, File > Export... using your chosen export setting, and save.  The filename prompt will look like it's prompting for only one file name, but the program will export all clips in your selection.  So, start the export, and you can walk away (or sleep?) until all clips are done.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.5, Avid Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 17 2013 3:52 PM In reply to

Wow, that's over complicating things to say the least.

download XDCam Content Browser from Sony, you can Google for it.

it'll allow you to view/preview EX and XDCam footage natively., you can also convert it if you need to, but Avid will work with the native XDCam format directly via AMA. 

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Dec 18 2013 9:40 AM In reply to

Thanks for sharing. it is helpful.

• Mon, Jul 6 2015 1:38 PM In reply to

• John Pale
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 19 2011
    • NYC
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,075

QuickTime export is the way to go.  Bear in mind, the MXF files in your Avid MediaFiles folder are separate audio and video files even though they are referenced by  a single Master Clip.  Note also, that if the camera recorded 4 or 8 channels of audio, you could potential have 9 separate files for each Master Clip.

Mac Pro 5,1 (2009-firmware upgrade to 2010). Self upgraded to 12 core (2 x Hex Core Westmere 2.93Ghz) 32 GB Ram Mac OSX 10.11.3 Avid MC 8.5 NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 6 2015 4:30 PM In reply to

• blindpew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 5 2011
    • Posts 45
    • Points 485

Be careful before installing software suggested by forum posters who have only ever posted a few times, and pop up as soon as "mxf conversion" is mentioned.

See this Mac World article:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1153685/speaking_spammers.html

freelance - hence many and various... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 6 2015 4:37 PM In reply to

Thanks blindpew - beat me to it.  That's always been one of my favorite articles to refer to, for explaining this type of thing.  Also note how this thread got suddenly resurrected after a few years.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.5, Avid Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 6 2015 5:14 PM In reply to

• aVienna
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 21 2006
    • Posts 81
    • Points 940

Telestream "Switch" perhaps. I started to use the free player to watch MXF on Windows machine. Have not tested yet export. available for Macs and Windows. ProRes export on Windows is ProRes HQ 4:2:2 for iTunes only.

specs removed because of a public disclosure of my personally identifiable information [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller