Latest post Tue, Aug 5 2014 12:18 PM by French_Editor. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 24 2012 9:36 PM

Composite Modes

Would really like to be able to use composite modes (Add, Multiply, Overlay etc) within MC without having to leave the software and without having to purchase additional software/plugins. 

MC 5 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, intel core i7 CPU, 6gb DDR3, Nvidia GTX 260, 1000w PSU. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 24 2012 9:47 PM In reply to

Re: Composite Modes

The paint effect has composite modes.

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Feb 24 2012 10:07 PM In reply to

I should have clarified better. I need what the DMN Transfer Plugin offered. Here is the description of this plugin: 

Transfer is an AVX™ plug-in for Avid® editing systems that allows you to composite video tracks using transfer modes (also known as blending or apply modes) similar to those available in Adobe® graphics and effects software.

Normally, the video in a higher video track completely obscures the video in lower video tracks. Although you can use a Superimpose effect, your only blending control is for opacity. By using a transfer mode, you can control how the pixels of a video track blend with the pixels in lower video tracks to create a stylistic effect.

The Transfer plug-in also lets you control how much blending is performed, as well as how the transfer mode settings are interpolated between key frames 

(This free plugin is 32bit and outdated.)

The composite modes in the paint effect are limited. I used a lot of film clutter composited over footage in my work and the paint tool can not composite that the way After Effects and FCP can. 

MC 5 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, intel core i7 CPU, 6gb DDR3, Nvidia GTX 260, 1000w PSU. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 25 2012 11:02 AM In reply to

Joel,

I too find it a strange and frustrating ommission.

I used DMN transfer a lot before we lost it's functionality.

BCC composite works well, but as you say it needs to be purchased.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 25 2012 11:09 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,269
    • Points 14,300

AvidFX comes included... and has composite modes... you can set up an AvidFX effect template and use within MC.

Agreed that is should be a feature of 3D Warp really.

• Wed, Mar 7 2012 12:56 AM In reply to

I would really love to see this feature too. The Boris plug-in worked well, and then I upgraded to 6.0 and those all went away. It should be added for sure. I miss using my film clutter effects too.

• Tue, Aug 5 2014 12:18 PM In reply to

+1

Avid Mediacomposer 6.5.0 Mac/PC with Nitris [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller