Latest post Sun, Feb 26 2012 10:05 AM by TVPROD. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 24 2012 1:52 AM

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,247
    • Points 15,780
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Thunderbolt drives - reviews after 6 months

Hi all -- Just posting reviews on the now 8-month-old Promise Pegasus RAID drives for Macs using Thunderbolt. Some decent reviews, some not, but a good amount of them are written by editors, so I figured it appropriate for this forum. Seems like the 12TB version is the most buggy. The reviews get a little worse as the months go on. Mainly the individual drives within going bad. 

Reviews of the 4TB  

Reviews of the 6TB

Reviews of the 8TB

Reviews of the 12TB 

The LaCie "Little Big Drives" seem to be doing fine review-wise (when they are reviewed by editors, not just some doof who walked into an Apple Store looking for a Time Machine drive). 

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Sun, Feb 26 2012 10:05 AM In reply to

• TVPROD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 3 2010
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 25
    • Points 405

Re: Thunderbolt drives - reviews after 6 months

We use the 12TB at our facilities in Paris, on an iMac to test it with 5.5.3.

We have edited documentaries (52'), multicam 2h30 music concert with out any problem !

Fast, not so noisy under the deck.

We have only one panel that says "NO IPHONE HERE" : if you approach an iPhone from the disk, it will disconnect !

That's the only bad thing, but now we know, so no more ejected drive at all.

TVPROD,

Paris, France.

Avid Media Composer and Symphony on MACS (5.5, 6) with Mojos and Blackmagic cards / Caldigit SAS storage / Resolve for grading [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller