Latest post Mon, Feb 20 2012 12:51 AM by David Yardley. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 18 2012 9:22 PM

• BrettG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 18 2012
    • Posts 38
    • Points 555

How do I consolidate subclips with comments?

Hi all -

I am new to Avid but have been tasked to do some media management for a client. I am backing up media to an external drive by using the consolidate feature ... however, all of the editors have have included nice ID comments for each subclip in the bins, which I would like to pass on to the client. 

Specifically, how do I consolidate from a subclip bin to an external drive while including the subclip comments?

Avid just wants to create a new master .mxf file, with a new name, on the external drive, yet, if you do not have Avid, or access to the project or bin, there is no other information to identify the consolidated .mxf files. How could I relay comments to associate a particular subclip with a particular consolidated .mxf file?

I have tried the "reveal file" function, while in the bin, but it does not work for subclips. 

Ultimately, I would like to include a shot-by-shot Excel log to include with the external drive when I deliver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Sun, Feb 19 2012 12:30 PM In reply to

Re: How do I consolidate subclips with comments?

Just done a test on my machine and the consolidated subclip retains any custom columns created?

So when you consolidate you get a bunch of new master clips (the subclip plus the handles but no custom columns) plus the new subclips including the comments. You collect all the new subclips into a bin and supply them with the media on the media drive. When the bin is opened the comments are all retained.

No idea how you are imagining anyone can work with just the MXF media files without Avid and the bins related to them?

But of course you can export the contents of your subclips bin as a tab delimited file if you need to bring that into Excel. Just make sure you have selected the required column headings forst and arranged the order as needed. Then Ctrl A select all and choose file export tab delimited.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Feb 20 2012 12:30 AM In reply to

• BrettG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 18 2012
    • Posts 38
    • Points 555

Thanks for your reply, Pat...

Yep. I am doing what you suggested (exporting the bin as a tab delimited file) ... I was just wondering if there was a faster workaround. Doesn't look like it, unless of course my client has access to an Avid. It seems I am doing the right thing, though. Thank you so much for your quick response! 

• Mon, Feb 20 2012 12:51 AM In reply to

Brett,

The bin that you consolidated has all the information that is needed to use the mediafiles.

It is very unlikely that the mediafiles you are generating will be of much use to anyone not using Mediacomposer.

The Excel document may be handy to show what is on the drive, but be sure to include the bins and/or projects.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller