Latest post Fri, Feb 17 2012 2:57 PM by usatraveler. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 15 2012 8:46 PM

• Brittany
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 15 2012
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

24p Footage into a 30i NTSC Project?

Hello! Not a tech-guru at ALL and bit of a newb, so please bear with me!!

I'm trying to import clips from three different cameras into a 30i NTSC project. The clips have all been turned into .mov files originally intended for a 1080p/24fps project. I tried a few different resolutions to import the .mov files, from DV 25 411 to DV 50 to 10:1 to 1:1, but any .mov file I try to import looks blurred or like there is an interlacing problem. Should I try to find the original raw footage and retranscode it for the 30i NTSC project? And if so, what settings should I use to import/transcode the raw stuff?

Thanks for any guidance!!

• Wed, Feb 15 2012 8:59 PM In reply to

Re: 24p Footage into a 30i NTSC Project?

Welcome to the Avid Forums!

If the clips are truly 24p (or 23.976?), then import to a 23.976/24 project first, then switch the project type to 29.97.  Or, create a project just for your 24 stuff, and then open that bin in your 30 project.  Avid will insert the necessary pulldown effects when you drop a 24 clip into a 30 sequence.

AMA could be useful here too.  Do you have the original raw stuff?  Which camera(s)/raw formats are in use?  If it's a format that has AMA support, you could just link to it by AMA to get started, and then transcode when needed or desired.  As a general rule, you get better performance by getting out of AMA and into Avid-managed media when possible.  It's a workflow decision, a bit of a choice between convenience and performance.

Where did those MOV files came from?  They might be an unnecessary step here - are they simply re-wrapped versions of the original media, or have they actually been transcoded from source media to something else?  Depending on where they came from, they MIGHT not have the same timecode or other metadata of the original media.  Either way, starting with the raw media is likely the best way to go; you can start cutting immediately with AMA, or you can let Avid do a single transcode to DV or NTSC 1:1 or whatever works best for your project.

Also, when running into quality issues, be sure your sequence is set to full-quality playback.  There's a quality button under the timeline.  Full-yellow is low, yellow/green split is better, and full-green is full.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 15 2012 9:47 PM In reply to

• Brittany
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 15 2012
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Thank you!!

I have tried opening 24fps bins in the 30 project, as well as opening 30fps in the 24 project, and neither looks great. I just imported 24p footage into a 24p project to try and switch it to a 30 project type, but the only choices it gives me are 23.976p NTSC, 720p/23.976 or 1080p/23.976. Maybe I made the project wrong to begin with?

We do have the original footage, thought it's a little disorganized. Cameras were Canon 5D, Panasonic GH2 and Sony F3. I think 5D footage is .mov? And the Panasonic is AVCHD, and I think the F3 is .mp4? I'm really sorry if that is not what you were asking for or if I get something wrong!

How do I know if they are rewrapped versions or really transcoded? Can you tell by knowing what cameras were used to shoot? If it's better to not link via AMA, I think we'd rather try to get the media into Avid. And I also flipped through the yellow and green quality icon, it does look better at full green but not as good as when the clips are in their respective projects.

Sorry for any confusion, and thanks again for your help!

• Fri, Feb 17 2012 2:57 PM In reply to

Any way you can elaborate on how it looks bad?  Again, 24p is not something I'm too familiar with, so I might be missing something until someone comes along with something more definitive.

Also, do you know if your raw media is true 24p, or 23.976?  That will influence which type of project you create to hold your source clips.  You're right, I forgot, you can change resolutions of a project, but not frame rates.

As for your source media, looks like it's all H.264-based media, so the same workflow will generally apply to all of it.  The ".mov" and ".mp4" are simply containers - containers can carry many different types of actual formats.  In this case, the raw media files contain H.264-format media.  Other MOVs contain Avid DNxHD, or Avid DV, or Apple ProRes, or so on and so forth.  Not all MOV (or other container formats) are created equal!

To check the "extra" MOV files you have, open one of them up in QuickTime.  Bring up the Movie Inspector by hitting Ctrl+I (Win) or Cmd+I (Mac).  The "Format" line will show you what type of MOV files they are.  Again, I get the feeling that those extra MOV files are probably unnecessary.  They might be transcoded to something other than the original format, so that's one generation loss.  They might also not carry all the metadata of the original sources.  Therefore, if Avid can AMA-link or import the original media from the camera, you're better off.  It almost certainly can, though you might need to download the correct AMA plugin for your format from the Download Center.

From there, it's really a workflow decision.  You can "import," which goes through a (somewhat lengthy) transcode right at the start, but after that, your edit will fly along using Avid-managed media at whatever resolution you choose (some form of DNxHD, or DV25, or DV50, or 1:1, or 10:1, or whatever).  If you choose to link via AMA, you'll be able to start editing instantly, with no transcode, which is very convenient, but the edit might move along slowly depending on your computer.  Once you're done, you may then choose to transcode only the clips that you want to use in the final.  Or, you can AMA-link and immediately transcode, which takes roughly the same time as an import, it's basically the same process.

That said, it all comes back to starting from the original media if you can, rather than starting from what might be clips that might have disadvantages against the original media.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller