Latest post Thu, Feb 9 2012 1:12 AM by schambergler. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 9 2012 12:37 AM

Editing from two drives/locations... consolidating

Hello,

Here is my situation - 

I'm working on an Avid project simultaneously at home and at work, and am trying to figure out a workflow so that I don't have to bring a hard drive back and forth everyday. I have a hard drive at each system with all the media on it, so opening different versions of the project hasn't been a problem. The problems arise when I need to add titles, import songs, or do anything that creates new files in the AvidMediaFiles folder on one of my drives. 

Any workflow for keeping two drives up-to-date? Or is it too much trouble?

I was thinking I could have a bin dedicated to "new media" which I could consolidate to a usb key at the end of every session. But I'm a new user so I don't have experience with the consolidate function.

Thanks in advance!

• Thu, Feb 9 2012 12:51 AM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,900

Re: Editing from two drives/locations... consolidating

Get a usb or firewire poscket drive.  After syncing the two systems up, use the small drive to transfer media back and forth.  You can sort the material at the finder level by date to know what was added during the day and just copy files back and forth.  I've done it and it works fine.  You could also keep the project folder on the pocket drive, which means you wouldn't have to worry about having to figure out which bins have been updated and which haven't when there is a project folder on two different system.

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 9 2012 1:12 AM In reply to

Re: Editing from two drives/locations... consolidating

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller