Latest post Wed, Nov 20 2013 9:49 PM by Roger Shufflebottom. 270 replies.
Page 5 of 19 (271 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 20 2012 10:10 PM In reply to

• John Pale
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 19 2011
    • NYC
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,075

Re: Bin Layout vs Workspaces

I, for one, thought SuperBin was an abomination..went against muscle memory on nearly every other application.  The present version certainly has problems, but they are probably fixable.  Hasn't anyone at Avid fired up Premiere or FCP classic even once?  You never have a mess of windows and screen clutter in either of those apps (okay...other stuff doesn't work well, but they got this part right).  If it just worked like either of those, it would be a no brainer.  This is coming from a long time Avid user, not a recent FCP convert.

Mac Pro 5,1 (2009-firmware upgrade to 2010). Self upgraded to 12 core (2 x Hex Core Westmere 2.93Ghz) 32 GB Ram Mac OSX 10.11.3 Avid MC 8.5 NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 20 2012 10:28 PM In reply to

No point in arguing with you but maybe you didn't use it right? The current mini-menu in a bin with multiple tabs is just like the Superbin menu for swapping bins. One click to open a bin. Easy to drag things from one bin to another. Oh, never mind.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.13.6 with Symphony 2018.12, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.13.6 with MC 2018.5 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Mon, Feb 20 2012 10:38 PM In reply to

• John Pale
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,075

Roger Shufflebottom:

No point in arguing with you but maybe you didn't use it right? The current mini-menu in a bin with multiple tabs is just like the Superbin menu for swapping bins. One click to open a bin. Easy to drag things from one bin to another. Oh, never mind.

Oh. You are definitely right about that.  I was not using it right.  I knew how to use it, but it was so different from how everything else worked, i could not get it into my muscle memory.  You are also right about why the tab implementation is similar...but since its visually resembles other systems (FCP7 and Premiere), I still feel like there is hope it can be tweaked in the "right" direction....or at least what I think is "right"

Sorry, not trying to be argumentative or trying to hijack the thread in a UI discussion.

Mac Pro 5,1 (2009-firmware upgrade to 2010). Self upgraded to 12 core (2 x Hex Core Westmere 2.93Ghz) 32 GB Ram Mac OSX 10.11.3 Avid MC 8.5 NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 20 2012 10:58 PM In reply to

Re: MC on Mac 6.0.1 Bugs

This is a request to the entire community:

PLEASE STOP CHANGING THE SUBJECT LINE OF ANY GIVEN THREAD, ESPECIALLY THIS ONE!

It is becoming impossible to track a "Bug" thread when some users keep changing it's subject line, several times. The title of this thread is "MC on Mac 6.0.1 Bugs". Please reply via a post with that subject line (like this one). Thank you.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Feb 21 2012 2:23 AM In reply to

There seems to be a problem with using Shared settings over an Isis.

When User settings are exported to a share sapce and no longer just running locally, all changes made to the settings don't save.

Noticeably, the "Save current workspace" function doesn't work (meaning windows need resizing every time avid is opened) and any export settings created all disappear the next time Avid is quit and relaunched.

The problem disappears if one stops sharing their settings and reverts to using just a local copy again.

Jim.

• Tue, Feb 21 2012 6:49 PM In reply to

I was hoping this would be fixed in the 6.0.1 patch, but, apparently not.  I'm running into total Avid app hangs and spinning beachballs when I try to work with imported audio.  Usually, all is fine till I open up waveform display on the source side (using the very nice waveform-and-other-tools expanded selector in the timeline) and begin scrubbing about.  Bing!  Beachball and the error message:  Segmentation fault in thread "MainThread" at address 0x0.   Any ideas? It doesn't seem to matter what the original format of the audio file is, what format it is transcoded to in Avid, whether the project format is HD or SD, where the audio came from (i.e. network share or local volume), what fps I choose in the audio import dialogue, whether I specifically transcode the audio and use the new transcoded copy.  It all ends up the same with the beachball.

This does not seem to happen with audio captured from router or tape sources, whether accompanied by video or not.  

BTW, I'm on a brand-new Mac.  We have 4 of them, and this error crops up on all of them regularly.  Here are the specs:

Model Name:    Mac Pro
      Model Identifier:    MacPro5,1
      Processor Name:    6-Core Intel Xeon
      Processor Speed:    2.66 GHz
      Number of Processors:    2
      Total Number of Cores:    12
      L2 Cache (per Core):    256 KB
      L3 Cache (per Processor):    12 MB
      Memory:    12 GB

I/O hardware-wise, we're using Blackmagic Multibridge Pros--which shouldn't have anything to do with imported audio, I would think.

Anyway, if there is a known fix for this already, I'd love to find out about it.

Thanks for compiling this list, Larry!

Steve Tomich

KGO-TV

• Thu, Feb 23 2012 5:09 PM In reply to

• Rick Rose
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 30 2011
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
    • Posts 61
    • Points 775

Re: Window placement in MC6

[quote user="DJFio[DB]"]

tfg:
    Julian Roberts:
    Sometimes I find that I just can't resize windows.  It will give me the handles to start with - then they disappear.  If I then click maximise twice, the handles will come back - but only for a short while.  Strange...
    Yep, this is a known bug.  Lots of the windows sometimes won't respond to resizing.  If you minimize the window and then bring it back, it should allow you to resize.  Annoying, but at least that's the workaround. 

i have this bug too

[/quote]

Me too.  Please fix :D

OSX 10.10.5 Yosemite, Avid 8.8.5, Quicktime 7.6.6 Mac Pro 3,1 12 Gig Ram, ATI 5770, E4P eSata card [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 25 2012 12:54 AM In reply to

A couple more bugs that I haven't seen reported elsewhere in the forum.  These happened on both 6.0 and 6.01, but it is perhaps more annoying in 6.0.1.  The record side monitor does not update correctly.  The outboard video monitor (seeing the output of our Blackmagic Multibridge hardware) updates correctly, but the record monitor will freeze up.  In order to get it to display and update correctly, I can recall the same or a different workspace--this seems to wake up the display--but this is a major pain in the butt.  This happens both in HD and SD projects, in all of the Avid rooms here.

I also had audio playback disappear completely.  I think other folks had the same problem. Meters display audio, but no sound comes out the speakers.  Requires a quit and relaunch of Avid.

Agh.

Again, this is on a  nice new multicore Mac with lots of RAM.  No other apps running.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve Tomich

KGO-TV

• Sat, Feb 25 2012 1:40 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,501
    • Points 42,195

stevetomich:
    he record side monitor does not update correctly.  The outboard video monitor (seeing the output of our Blackmagic Multibridge hardware) updates correctly, but the record monitor will freeze up. 

I have seen this on both PC and Mac installs.  Sometimes only a full restart of the app will fix it.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Mar 2 2012 9:08 PM In reply to

• Renegader
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 6 2011
    • Posts 64
    • Points 830

SamDogDigital:

Export Fails

With MC6.0 one hr exports would fail using the Matrox h.264 1080i60 codec within 5 min. of completion with a message saying that "fast start" creation was in progress even though I had disabled that option in the export preset.  I would need to force quit MC to exit.

With 6.0.1, the 60 min. export fails at the same spot, but now an error message appears. 

Exception: std::exception, what:"Segmentation fault" in thread "CQTExportWorkingThreadBody", at address 0x0

So far exports of the exact same material of 30 seconds and 30 minutes complete successfully.

I have found others complaining of the same "fast start" lockup with 6.0 using other codecs.

I get a similar problem to this when exporting.  Exception : std:exception, what:"Segmentation fault" in thread "Adopted Thread", at address 0x0.

I am attempting to export XDCam files and sequences that are linked via AMA.  I've also tried transcoding as well before I export, but get the same generic unhelpful error message..  It doesn't seem to matter what codec I use (uncompressed, Pro Res, DNX, XDCam are some I've tried on export) it happens a lot.  The length can be anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 seconds.  The only way I can get it to export is to force quit Avid (because it won't close on its own) and then restart the computer.  Sometimes this works, 60 percent of the time it doesn't.  Just an extremely annoying and awful bug.

Avid MC w/Symphony add on 8.4 with AJA 4K IO Box, Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1, 27 inch iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 6800MX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 3 2012 12:08 PM In reply to

• SteveM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 9
    • Points 145

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with Roger about the awful floating windows syndrome in Avid.

Surely the Adobe and Apple approach where windows neatly snap to their neighbours borders yet can be resized and repositioned without effort is far superior to Avid's outdated approach.

This for me is one of the main reasons I ditched avid for FCP, I hate the fact that in Avid your windows continuously end up out of position and overlapping each other; call me OCD but it drives me nuts. Unfortuantely with the release of FCPX I'm now back in the Avid camp and whilst many things on MC have improved a great deal the wretched floating windows are still with us.

Please, please, please Avid fix the interface!!!!

• Sat, Mar 3 2012 1:09 PM In reply to

The stupid thing is that Avid had this right with previous releases with the combination of Toolsets and the Superbin. Now, I know some folk never got their head around this but here is how it worked:

You selected a Toolset (the snag here was that no Toolset was active by default so you had to remember to do this). You enabled the Superbin in the Bin settings. One click on a bin icon in the Project window opened the first bin. You then placed the bin where you wanted it, opened and adjusted any other tools (Audio, Timecode etc) and then saved the Toolset. Repeat for other toolsets as required. Map Toolsets to KB buttons. Rigorously single-click to open further bins into the Superbin and access them via the dinky blue tab icon. Work efficiently ever after.

What's not to like? The Superbin was linked to the Toolset which was a user setting so the arrangement worked on any project (unlike the awful Bin Layout in V6 which needs to be redone for every project). Also the Bin Layout in V6 has other shortcomings.

If anyone from Avid reads this, can they look deep into their heart and honestly say that things have improved? They have not. However many powerful underpinnings Avid add and improve (AMA etc etc) these are negated if the editing experience is degraded.

Please sort this out.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.13.6 with Symphony 2018.12, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.13.6 with MC 2018.5 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Sun, Mar 4 2012 3:46 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,219
    • Points 14,740

SteveM:

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with Roger about the awful floating windows syndrome in Avid.

Surely the Adobe and Apple approach where windows neatly snap to their neighbours borders yet can be resized and repositioned without effort is far superior to Avid's outdated approach.

Strangely enough, Avid got it right in the 90's, when Media Composer reached v5 on Mac Nubus: windows had a thin title bar and snapped exactly against each other, making for a neat interface. Since Mac OSX, they never quite managed to get it right, but MC6 is by far the worse in terms of "look n' feel"...

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 4 2012 4:11 PM In reply to

Your comment is right on the money, Roger.

Roger Shufflebottom:

The stupid thing is that Avid had this right with previous releases with the combination of Toolsets and the Superbin. Now, I know some folk never got their head around this but here is how it worked:

You selected a Toolset (the snag here was that no Toolset was active by default so you had to remember to do this). You enabled the Superbin in the Bin settings. One click on a bin icon in the Project window opened the first bin. You then placed the bin where you wanted it, opened and adjusted any other tools (Audio, Timecode etc) and then saved the Toolset. Repeat for other toolsets as required. Map Toolsets to KB buttons. Rigorously single-click to open further bins into the Superbin and access them via the dinky blue tab icon. Work efficiently ever after.

What's not to like? The Superbin was linked to the Toolset which was a user setting so the arrangement worked on any project (unlike the awful Bin Layout in V6 which needs to be redone for every project). Also the Bin Layout in V6 has other shortcomings.

If anyone from Avid reads this, can they look deep into their heart and honestly say that things have improved? They have not. However many powerful underpinnings Avid add and improve (AMA etc etc) these are negated if the editing experience is degraded.

Please sort this out.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 8 2012 7:54 PM In reply to

• Mike Saenz
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 90

I'm having the same issue with the audio playback. It is really annoying. I've found that reloading the sequence, by loading another and then loading your original sequence again will bring it back. So too will using the < > keys to slip something...and back again.

Not always though.

Anybody else having this intermittent audio playback issue? Again, meters work...but I'd say about half the time while trimming especially, the audio playback goes away.

On MC 6.0.1 with a quad 2.8.

Avid Media Composer 7.0.4 3GHz 8-Core Mac Pro 2.1, 22 GB RAM OSX 10.7.5 Kona LHi, KLHBox [view my complete system specs]
Page 5 of 19 (271 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller