Latest post Wed, Feb 15 2012 11:34 AM by S.Clements. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 7 2012 9:58 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

Big Workflow Mistake? JPG Image Sequence to DPX Image Sequence

Hi.  

I think I've made a major workflow mistake and was wondering if anyone might know the easiest soution.  I'm working on a stop motion animation, where the director exported both Jpg and DPX image sequences from Camera Raw files using After Effects.  He edited the jpg image sequences in Media Composer and then exported an AAF.  I was hoping to use DS to link to the DPX versions of the image sequences (because Avid Media Composer won't accept DPX fles), but it isn't working. Is there anything we can do to salvage the DPX image sequences and reconnect them properly?  Thanks.

-Scott

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Tue, Feb 7 2012 10:14 PM In reply to

Re: Big Workflow Mistake? JPG Image Sequence to DPX Image Sequence

Is it possible at worst case to convert the DPX files externally to hires JPGs and then relink to those new JPGs ?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Feb 8 2012 12:19 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

Thanks, Pat.

However, if it were a case of recoverting all th eimage sequences, I would probably just relink tiff files in Symphony.  Relinking to tiffs or targ's is doable in Symphony, but relinking to DPX in DS is impossible, it seems.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 8 2012 4:12 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

S.Clements:
    relinking to DPX in DS is impossible, it seems.

Not impossiable

What version of DS are you using?

in 10.5.2 you can try to;

1) if already conformed, then select re-link, and point it to a diffrent folder, then ask it to link with timecode only

-or-

2) when you conform you could select alt sources and point it to the DPX folder, when it asks you if you want to link to a diffrent filet type select DPX

Hopefully one of those will work for you, i have not ran into re-linking DPX from a .mov, tga seq, whatever - but often use the alt source and change from refrences pointing to .mov and ask DS to match to r3d's with the same name and timecode, and that works perfectly.

Oh, you may know this already, but DPX are RT in DS, so no need to capture, just index the folder, link and play

d

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 15 2012 11:34 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

Thanks, Dermot.  That's good to know.  In the end, we used Metafuze to transcode the dpx files and did some tweaking in symphony to get it to work.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller