Latest post Sun, Feb 19 2012 5:12 PM by Paul Claudio. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 5 2012 10:56 PM

• Paul Claudio
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 24 2010
    • New York NY
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Looking for Video Card Reccomendations for MC 6.0

With the advent of MC 6.0 and the open architecture for 3rd party hardware (thank you... much needed), I'm building my dream system. I'm debating dual video cards. From what I've read it doesn't do all that much for rendering times (that's more CPU + RAM based I'm hearing). I'd like a decent video card and might even fork over $1K+ for dual cards if someone can help me justify the cost, but basically I'd like to run 

Two widescreen displays + have a Display Port or HDMI output to a large display. I don't plan on running anything crazy resolution wise. 1920 x 1080 is just fine for me.

What's the deal with the NVIDEA Quadro FX restriction? Are there other options?Would love a 1Gb or 2Gb card with the ability to do all this at a reasonable price... Haha maybe I'm asking for too much though.... 

Help???

Intel Extreme i7 Core ; Asus Rampage MB; Microsoft Windows 7 Professional; 32GB G-Skill RAM; NVIDIA Quadro 4000 video card; ; Storage: (2) 2 TB Stripped... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Feb 6 2012 1:33 AM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Re: Looking for Video Card Reccomendations for MC 6.0

Paul:

I envy you...  There is nothing like building a dream machine. :-)  While the idea of dual video cards in SLI sounds amazing and gives you some braging rights hardware wise, I can tell you from experience that it is not really worth it, there is no real noticible difference between one card and two where video editing is concerned...  Use the cash to buy one good card, that being said, and considering your willingness to spend a few dollars on one, get the Quadro 4000.  It comes with a couple gigs of video Ram and is all you will need for MC6 and other applications.  Of course you are always putting your head on the chopping block here when you mention the Quadro cards because many believe you should spend your money on a GeeForce card because you supposedly get more bang for your buck, but I disagree with that camp and also believe in sticking with using AVID qualified hardware.  I'm under attack already I can tell.... In coming!!! LOL.. :-)  I stick with my humble opinion on the Quadro being your best card for the money and purpose though. :-)

What are your plans for motherboard and processor?  The new 3960X is an amazing processor and while the X79 chipset is not yet qualified for MC, it should run it just fine if you are willing to spend 1K on a processor.  If I were building a single processor dream machine today, that would be my choice...

Good luck to you with your build... Keep us posted on the progress and specs!

Camilo

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 6 2012 6:31 PM In reply to

• Paul Claudio
    • Not Ranked
    • New York NY
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Thanks Camilo. I appreciate your insight. The Quadro 4000 is very reasonably priced. I only wish it had 2x DVI instead of 2x Display Port but otherwise, nice card.

For Motherboard & processor pair.... Well you just brought out my dilema. I have two systems priced out right now.

One is a top of the line six core system with an Asus P9X79 Intel X79 Motherboard married with Intel's Core i7 Extreme  Six Core 3.3 - 3.9 GHz processor w/ 15MB L3 cache. It's coming in just under 4.5K but I have plans to add Black Magic's DeckLink HD Extreme card which will jump up the price another 1K

The other system is a 12 core monster. with an EVGA 5520 Chipset Server Motherboard along with (2) Intel Xeon X5675 Six core 3.06GHz processors. Trouble is, this system is at about $6.5K + the BlackMagic card brings the pricetag up to $7.5K and I'm not sure I want to spend that much.I could cut some corners to bring down the price, but I kinda like what I picked out 32GB o RAM a smokin' Raid config, etc...

Intel Extreme i7 Core ; Asus Rampage MB; Microsoft Windows 7 Professional; 32GB G-Skill RAM; NVIDIA Quadro 4000 video card; ; Storage: (2) 2 TB Stripped... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 6 2012 7:38 PM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Paul Claudio:
    I only wish it had 2x DVI instead of 2x Display Port but otherwise, nice card.

I would not let this trouble you too much, you can always use the display port to DVI connectors if you do not have display port monitors.  I'm not sure about the Quadro 4000, but I know my FX 3800 came with one display port to DVI adapter...

I appreciate your dilema with the dual processor vs. single processor system...  I debated the same issue when I built my system two years ago.  I'm a big fan of EVGA products as they have outstanding customer support and love the SR-2 motherboard.  In the end I decided to go with the single processor set up running what was the fastest processor at the time, the i7-980X...  I just did not feel like the extra expense of the dual processor system would benifiet me that much.  AVID barely takes advantage of 12 processing cores and would most likely have no idea what to do with 24. :-)  From what  I have read on the new 3960X that you are looking at in your single processor system, you would most likely not need any more processing power than it provides.  Unless of course you are just lookking for braging rights, then go for the dual proc system. LOL.. :-)  If you are trying to be practical, while building an awesome editing system,then the single proc system will do I'm sure. :-)

Good luck to you!

Camilo

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 6 2012 8:52 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 748
    • Points 11,365

One thing to watch out for - I bought the standard Qudro 2000 with 2 DisplayPorts. I am using two old VGA monitors, and going from DisplayPort to DVI to VGA will absolutly not work.  If you use VGA monitors, you cannot use either a standard Quardro 2000 or 4000 (if you plan to use 2 monitors).

I ended up sending the 2000 back and getting a 2000D instead (with 2 DVI outputs).  Hopefully graphic card manufacturers will SOON realize what a massive debacle DisplayPort is.  Talk about an antiquated hack technology - no benefit and tons of drawbacks. It can't die soon enough!

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 1:26 AM In reply to

• Paul Claudio
    • Not Ranked
    • New York NY
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

You know.... That makes me feel so much better about settling on the single processor option. The dual processor was actually a compromise in other situations and I'm always a big fan of getting the flagship processor available. Thanks much Camilo

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 1:32 AM In reply to

• Paul Claudio
    • Not Ranked
    • New York NY
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Good info. I figured as much and was gonna get another more up to date monitor. I was gonna get another Display Port monitor but I'd need two (I like matched pairs) now I'll just match my Samsung SyncMaster which has DVI and just get some adapters. Thanks for the tip.

DisplayPort is problematic but let's face it.... VGA's time is like VHS video or Cassingles. Time to say Bye Bye. And don't get me started on MiniHDMI.... :)

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 4:38 AM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Paul, glad I could help... Let us know how the new systems turns out when you get it built!

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 5:05 AM In reply to

GeForce card works as I have used 7800, 8800GT, 260 and currently 460 with Avid. A mid level card should be plenty fast enough to support Avid. You may want a faster card for other things like After Effects and CUDA based applications.

MC 2019.12, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 32GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 12 2012 12:20 PM In reply to

Dom Q. Silverio:

GeForce card works as I have used 7800, 8800GT, 260 and currently 460 with Avid. A mid level card should be plenty fast enough to support Avid. You may want a faster card for other things like After Effects and CUDA based applications.

After effects don't use cuda - just openGL, which is the same as avid. In other applications it's nice having two graphics cards. Not for 4 monitors but for overall faster work and rendering. You use only one card for monitors and the second one is for performance.

• Sun, Feb 12 2012 1:07 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Dom Q. Silverio:

GeForce card works as I have used 7800, 8800GT, 260 and currently 460 with Avid.

Not so good at all when using third party hardware Dom, in fact not at all in many cases, you might want to add that info.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sun, Feb 12 2012 3:58 PM In reply to

Sanjin Švajger:

Dom Q. Silverio:

After effects don't use cuda - just openGL, which is the same as avid. In other applications it's nice having two graphics cards. Not for 4 monitors but for overall faster work and rendering. You use only one card for monitors and the second one is for performance.

The newest the card/driver the better the implementation of openGL.

I totally agree with Dom. Geforces works fine.

The funny thing: ATI works fine too except the open GL part which works better by Nvidia.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(442.92)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2020.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Feb 13 2012 2:39 AM In reply to

Sanjin Švajger:

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that AE uses CUDA. I meant other applications like Premiere CS and CUDA encoders.

While 2 GPUs are nice,  it might be more efficient to just get one faster card. Less noise and heat also.

Software like Blackmagic Resolve, does benefit significantly with dual GPUs.

MC 2019.12, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 32GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 19 2012 5:12 PM In reply to

• Paul Claudio
    • Not Ranked
    • New York NY
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Thanks all for all your help. This has been helpful. After much back and forth looking at all your suggestions. I have settled on the Nvidia Quadro 4000 for my system.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller