Latest post Sat, Feb 4 2012 1:59 AM by Mr Carnelian. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 1 2012 9:19 AM

Portable Avid Suite and Thunderbolt

Hi all

I'm a freelance TVC editor and I generally run a portable Avid suite and travel with productions on their shoots. I usually run Macbook Pro with Avid 5.5 on it, cut in DNxHD36, output via Mojo SDI to a TV in a hotel suite (running the Avid in SD mode). I hire a monitor when I'm travelling and run all my media off a LaCie Little Big Disk and then daisy chain this to the Mojo SDI. So I have my mac screen, an HD monitor and the TV running at the same time.

I'm trying to figure out how I can upgrade to Media Composer 6 with a similar setup. I've used 6 and love it. However MC6 no longer supports the Mojo SDI. Ok, so I can use any one of the other thunderbolt IO devices (Black Magic etc) however they each only have one thunderbolt port (apart from the IO XT which is not released yet) which means I have no ability to output to a computer monitor. The Macbook has one thunderbolt port and the IO devices have one thunderbolt port effectively ending the thunderbolt chain. So I can go out to the Black Magic Intensity box and then to the TV, but I have no ability to use a computer monitor as the DVI out is now the same as the thunderbolt port.

How do I get around this...?

Any help would be most appreciated.

LC

• Wed, Feb 1 2012 9:56 AM In reply to

• Dachatz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 8 2007
    • Austria/Carinthia
    • Posts 14
    • Points 170

Re: Portable Avid Suite and Thunderbolt

If you use a Thunderbolt Display, e.g. the Apple Cinemadisplay you can daisy chain the display first and continue with your editing hardware of choice.

But I hope that in the future more devices will sport two thundbolt connections because after all it was meant to be daisy chained!

Hope this helps a little....

Dominik

Apple Mac Pro Early 2008 2x 2,8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 20 GB 800 MHz DDR2 F8-DIMM 500 GB SSD OSX 10.9.5 Media Composer 7.0 Nitris DX Symphony... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 1 2012 10:09 AM In reply to

Thanks Dominik, but it needs to be portable - I need to hire the display in each city I got to, I can't rely on being able to get an Apple thunderbolt display. In fact I don't think I've ever seen one for hire. At the moment I have one shoulder bag for the 15' Macbook and one carry-on bag with the Mojo, power, cables etc.

Thanks though..!

LC

• Wed, Feb 1 2012 1:31 PM In reply to

• Dachatz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 8 2007
    • Austria/Carinthia
    • Posts 14
    • Points 170

Yeah, with renting a display this does not sound like a good idea.

While surfing the net I found this link to a Belkin device coming out later this year but I'm not sure if the two 

added Thunderbolt ports will actually drive a display....

But it could be worth a shot.

http://www.macgasm.net/2012/01/09/belkin-announces-thunderbolt-hub/

Dominik

Apple Mac Pro Early 2008 2x 2,8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 20 GB 800 MHz DDR2 F8-DIMM 500 GB SSD OSX 10.9.5 Media Composer 7.0 Nitris DX Symphony... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 1 2012 1:49 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,175
    • Points 13,255

Do you need thunderbolt yet? You can use an IO Express with an Express34 card... (should work with MC6, mine works with MC5.5.3 in this configuration, although I've used it more with FCP7). Monitoring can be SDI and HDMI. Although downconversion may be an issue - you shouldn't need it as most Hotel TVs should have HDMI and hired monitors you can spedify.

Wait til thunderbolt settles down a bit before upgrading the MBP & the storage.

I expect IOx might be avail 2nd hand even as folks move to thunderbolt... or away from FCP7...

I'd wait for MC6.0.1 myself...

• Wed, Feb 1 2012 6:13 PM In reply to

• AC_edit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 20 2011
    • San Francisco, CA
    • Posts 49
    • Points 510

io XT does appear to be shipping now:  http://www.aja.com/news/index_article.php?id=165

MC v8.3.1 & v7.0.4 / 17" Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz Core i7 w/16GB Ram, 500GB HD/7200rpm / OS 10.9.5 / AJA Io 4K **AVID Editorial since 1991** [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 2 2012 12:42 AM In reply to

Hi Trevor

I have a Macbook 15' with no Express card slot - Apple kindly replaced that with a useless SD card slot. If I had that it'd be no problem.

LC

• Thu, Feb 2 2012 12:44 AM In reply to

Hi AC_edit

It says it is shipping but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere BH Photo etc.. it must be coming soon. It's also friggin expensive and large compared to the Black Magic Intensity Extreme. It looks like it might be my only option though.

LC

• Fri, Feb 3 2012 11:36 PM In reply to

• Robert B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 7 2011
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,005

Hello Trevor, 

That is too bad about the expresscard slot. For my mobile rig, I have been having tremendous success using a simple displayport to HDMI adapter on my 17" Macbook Pro. I use a small 1X2 HDMI splitter and send one feed to the Hotel's HDTV and the other feed to a small 1080P computer monitor I bring with me. I cut using the fullscreen preview on the bin monitor side. If I need to see interlaced content, OSX let's you switch to 1080i mode in the display settings for the second monitor output. The HDTV will then show you proper interlacing.

The expresscard is great for using eSATA storage but if you are transcoding to DNXHD36 firewire 800 should be just fine. Unforunately, the expresscard slot is also nice for cheap fast CF and SXS media readers. I imagine if you hold out for another 6 months the thunderbolt landscape will be way more favorable. I am looking forward to using my mac mini's as portable Avids in the future...time will tell!

Regards,

Robert

OFFICE: 3.5 GHz Core i7 Late 2013 Imac running OSX 10.11 with 32GB RAM. NVIDIA GTX 780M 4096 MB. Avid Media Composer 8.5/ Pro Tools 12.4 MOBILE: 17"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 4 2012 1:59 AM In reply to

Hi Robert

Your kit sounds great and I've cut like that before. I guess I can either upgrade to a 17" and use that as a single cutting monitor and out to the Black Magic box or use the Matrox via express card slot. I'm a little hesitant as the 17' are big to carry, but not quite big enough to use as a single cutting monitor. All would be solved with either a separate display and thunderbolt port on a macbook or indeed a macmini, or an IO device with two thunderbolt ports - preferably not the massive and ugly IO XT..

It's looking like I'll have to stick with 5.5.3 and the Mojo - unless Avid makes them usable under MC6..

LC

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller