Latest post Wed, Dec 5 2012 7:37 AM by Mack Truck. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 26 2012 5:16 PM

Move a clip using numerical value

After 12 years with FCP I am transitionning to MC. Is there a way to move a clip in the timeline using the numerical values ? For intance if you want to move a clip 12 frames later ?

• Thu, Jan 26 2012 5:58 PM In reply to

Re: Move a clip using numerical value

There are a couple of ways to do this. With the position bar parked on the first frame of the clip in the timeline, +12, enter, mark in, then CMD drag (CTRL drag on a PC) the clip to the mark in position.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jan 27 2012 4:42 PM In reply to

Or, if you have material on both sides of the segment you trim at the same time, consider sliding.  You enter trim mode, mark the outside of the clip(s) you want to slide (left roller on the in point, right roller on the outpoint; use SHIFT to select the second roller) and enter a numeric value.  The clip moves, with heads and tails from the previous and next scenes automatically adjusted, without changing the length of your sequence.

For more look up Slip and Slide in the Help.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Jan 27 2012 5:56 PM In reply to

• Patrick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 26 2010
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,955

Use the red Segment Mode arrow which is now located in the Smart tool palette to grab the clip in the timeline and drag it 12 frames. You should get a timecode or feet+frames indicator in the middle of your display so you can see how many frames you're moving it. OR, if you wish to move everything down ("ripple" in the parlance of FCP), park your playhead on the first frame of the clip, load filler into the source monitor, and splice in 12 frames.

Mac Pro 8 core, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, Media Composer 7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 27 2012 7:18 PM In reply to

Patrick:
    Use the red Segment Mode arrow which is now located in the Smart tool palette to grab the clip in the timeline and drag it 12 frames.

All due respect, but the OP was asking how to type in numerical values to move the selected item.  

There's no way in Avid to do it exactly the way you're asking... However, select the clip you want to move with the Red Arrow and using the m , . / keys you can move the clip -10, -1, +1, +10 frames respectively.  

Or, if you have Filler in front of the clip, you can park at the head of the clip you want to move, enter Trim mode, select the left side, then type +xxxx (x equals the number of frames you want to move it.  In actuality, you're extending the Filler by that amount and rippling everything down.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sat, Jan 28 2012 10:54 AM In reply to

• Lord Fluff
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 15 2011
    • London
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,445

Kenton.VanNatten:

There's no way in Avid to do it exactly the way you're asking... 

Erm, yes there is - see Kevin's post a little up the thread.

HP z820, Decklink Extreme+, Areca RAID, Artist Colour, Symphony 6 // MBP17, UltraStudio3D, Pegasus TB RAID, MC6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 28 2012 6:27 PM In reply to

• ppohio
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 28 2012
    • Posts 111
    • Points 1,435

Thanks for this fantastic suggestion. A few more keystrokes than FCP, but most importantly, this function can perform segment overwrites which I believe you cannot do with FCP (pretty sure you get a "clip collision" error if you numerically try to move something over another clip. This is very useful.

Thought I would post this question here since it is similar and perhaps not entirely worthy of its own thread: how can I jump to a specific time on the timeline in Media Composer. I can jump forward and back a specific amount of time using the + and - keys followed by the time I want to jump, but I was wondering if I can jump to a specific time such as 01:20:14;00. When I try typing it in and hit return or enter I just get the "error beep" sound and nothing happens. Seems to work in the source monitor but not the Record monitor or Timeline.

I looked in the Editing Guide and can't seem to find anything.

Macbook Pro 15" 2.2Ghz, Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, 8GB RAM OS X Lion 10.9.1 Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 28 2012 6:41 PM In reply to

ppohio:
    ...but I was wondering if I can jump to a specific time such as 01:20:14;00. When I try typing it in and hit return or enter I just get the "error beep" sound and nothing happens.

Make sure your composer window display is set for 2 rows of information (right click on the monitor) and make sure that the TC (V1 or Mas) value is displayed on the top row of both the source and record sides.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jan 28 2012 6:53 PM In reply to

• ppohio
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 28 2012
    • Posts 111
    • Points 1,435

Ah! Ok, I see. I had it set to "Flow Dynamically" which I like, but when I switch to two rows, the Master TC was on the bottom of the two rows, and V1 to the top. So it would seek to the V1 TC since it was on top (and i would get the error when I typed the timecode that didn't exist in the V1 clip). Swapped those two around and now it seeks to the Master timecode as expected.

For anyone on Dynamic Flow view, that top item gets moved to the second spot in the flow. Just a little something to remember.

Thanks very much for the help Larry, brilliant.

Macbook Pro 15" 2.2Ghz, Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, 8GB RAM OS X Lion 10.9.1 Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 28 2012 7:02 PM In reply to

You're quite welcome. Always glad to help out. Happy editing!Yes

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Dec 5 2012 1:15 AM In reply to

• Clerk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 17 2012
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

As someone who worked on MC exclusively for years, then FCP for years, now back to MC... I also would really like to be able to ten-key-type the frame-move for the segment-selected clip.

I will try the above recommendations. (Although they look laborious.)

(As this is my first post, I must add that it sure is good to be back on the Avid. LOVE and have been MISSING all the classic ways to select tracks. Ahh cmd-A...)

• Wed, Dec 5 2012 7:37 AM In reply to

I think there is a bunch of features from FCP that could find their ways to MC. One thing I really did miss was copy/paste with keyframes. Glad MC 6.5 finally has that!! One of the things  I really do miss: photoshops trasnfer modes.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller