Latest post Sun, Mar 11 2012 9:49 PM by George Angeludis. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 25 2012 4:17 AM

• Patrice Shannon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 21 2009
    • Wash, DC & Sarasota, FL
    • Posts 17
    • Points 200

My experience with MC 6

Don't like the loss of superbin.  Don't prefer the alternative of dragging and dropping bins into a window. this takes too much time.  Superbin is only one click - a lot faster.

Can't enter slide mode on multiple clips in the timeline.

BCC plugins that were free in 5.5 are now gone in 6.

That was enough for me to un-install 6 and re-install 5.5.

This goes way back, but I was shocked, shocked when they got rid of sissors and weight lifter man.  When I attended the first demo where these two icons were removed, they told us it's because the "new kids couldn't grasp the concepts of sissors and weight-lifter!!"  Whaaaaat!!  I was a trainer then, and i never encountered a student who didn't understand them.

Why was the simple cmd+I function in the record monitor to change the start timecode of a sequence removed.  I couldn't find anything on the Avid website to figure that one out.  Just a useless blurb about "why doesn't my Timecode start at 1:00 Hour?"  the document explains why, of course, but then doesn't go on to tell you HOW to change the start timecode.  I finally had to call support, and even he didn't know how to do it!

Why isn't this sort of thing published in the "what's new" documents?

FCP has its advantages, but unfortunately Avid is taking the worst of FCP  and integrating it into Media Composer.

The registration process for Avid software couldn't be more cumbersome. 

I've been Avid's greatest champion since 1996, but they make it hard to love them.

MacBook Pro 17"Late 2011, OS 10.9.5, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 6770M, Intel HD Graphics 3000 [view my complete system specs]

Patrice Shannon, Avid, Premiere and Final Cut Pro Editor

Washington, DC and Sarasota, FL

www.shannonpost.com

• Wed, Jan 25 2012 5:14 AM In reply to

• TrainerDave
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 5 2008
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 181
    • Points 2,310
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Re: My experience with MC 6

Hi Patrice,

Greetings from the Great Land Down Under.

Just thought I'd chime in regarding the sequence timecode thing.  Setting the timecode in v6 really is quite similar to the way you used to have to do it though I must admit it did take me some time to adapt to it.  Nevertheless, here is how to do it...

1:  Right-click the Record monitor and choose "Sequence Report..." from the contextual menu

2:  Change the timecode in the "Starting TC:" field

3:  Click the "Apply Changes" button

4:  Click the "Cancel" button to dismiss the window

Hope this helps,

Dave Forsyth

Home: Dell T3500 Win 7 Pro, MC7 with Symphony option Work: HP z820 workstation, 16Gb RAM Media Composer v7 with Symphony option) [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 4 2012 6:51 PM In reply to

Patrice, I too still miss the scissors and the weightlifter and the superbin, but all wounds heal, LOL!

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sun, Mar 4 2012 6:57 PM In reply to

Easier way to change StartTC for a sequence: Type the new code in the TC Start column in the bin, enter. Not new in v6, but in v5 or so.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 4 2012 6:59 PM In reply to

TrainerDave:

1:  Right-click the Record monitor and choose "Sequence Report..." from the contextual menu

2:  Change the timecode in the "Starting TC:" field

3:  Click the "Apply Changes" button

4:  Click the "Cancel" button to dismiss the window

Dave nailed it. Unless you purposely want to generate a sequence report, in which case you would click "generate" instead of "cancel".

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Mar 4 2012 7:00 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

Easier way to change StartTC for a sequence: Type the new code in the TC Start column in the bin, enter. Not new in v6, but in v5 or so.

You can also go into the General area of your user settings and globally set a default start TC for all new sequences created. And be careful when using the "Add filler at start" option, which will subtract 30 seconds from your existing sequence start time.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Mar 4 2012 8:37 PM In reply to

Patrice Shannon:
    I was shocked, shocked when they got rid of sissors and weight lifter man.  When I attended the first demo where these two icons were removed, they told us it's because the "new kids couldn't grasp the concepts of sissors and weight-lifter!!"  Whaaaaat!!  I was a trainer then, and i never encountered a student who didn't understand them.

I never bought that explanation either.  I argued, what do ANY of the icons mean until you learn them?  I mean the icon for Match Frame is no more "intuitive" to a new user than a weightlifter for Lift.  Change for the sake of change or worse they changed it to tout "new interface changes".

Patrice Shannon:
    I finally had to call support, and even he didn't know how to do it!

That's more disconcerting to me.  Support is supposed to know stuff like that.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Mar 5 2012 5:12 AM In reply to

Don't like the loss of superbin

.- Yes, Where is the Superbin in MC6 ?!?!?

The Superbin is a must for single monitor operation, is the closest thing to TABS!!!

I TOTALY second you on this!!!!

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Mon, Mar 5 2012 5:20 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,667
    • Points 223,915
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

raspago:
    the closest thing to TABS!!!

So why not use the Tabbed bin possibility?

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Mar 5 2012 3:34 PM In reply to

drbgaijin:

raspago:
    the closest thing to TABS!!!

So why not use the Tabbed bin possibility?

Regards,
    Douglas

.- What's the tabbed bin possibility??

That would be even better!!

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Mar 5 2012 3:41 PM In reply to

The Super Bin hasn't moved just changed.

There are changes that are not explained well or we don't read them as we should.

Rigth Click on many Bins after you select them all and choose Open at the same Window.

It works better than Super Bin.

It just has one drawback.

You can't easily move files from the one tabbed bin to the other.

You do it by holding the file while dragging it to the tabbed bin you need.

Only, if you have many tabs and you want to do this, you should first move the one

from which you want to move something CLOSER to the other that you want to move to.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(411.95)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2019.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Mar 5 2012 4:05 PM In reply to

It works better than Super Bin.

.- Thank you all.

But I still prefer the superbin, it's faster and it is automatic.

That's a cumbersome tab system.

I was thinking auto tabs like in FCP, Premiere, After Effects, etc.

• Mon, Mar 5 2012 6:29 PM In reply to

raspago:
    I still prefer the superbin

Prior to the release of v6 I had never met an editor that liked the SuperBin.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Mar 5 2012 6:41 PM In reply to

I can appreciate the advantage of using Superbin when you have only a single monitor, it's a great saver of screen real estate, but in a large dual monitor configuration, I much prefer individual bins that can be open simulataneously for many purposes, among them easily moving clips from one bin to another, and having quick access to various source elements organized in separate bins according to content type.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Mar 5 2012 6:46 PM In reply to

I use dual monitor (timeline expanded from left to right).

I always liked Superbin. I work only by that since MC3.

Is faster for me.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(411.95)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2019.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller