Latest post Mon, Jan 16 2012 7:41 PM by Kenton.VanNatten. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 16 2012 5:42 PM

• Def1412
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,175

Lost Project

I have a project whose folders are gone missing.  This is an old project that is finally gaining some interest.  When i start Avid, the project is not there.  Looked in Avid projects folder and in the attic as well.  The media files are still on their respective drives and the project shows up in the media tool as do the source files.  Is there any way to recreate the project from this point backwards?  Or am I looking at starting from scratch. 

System: Avid XPro 5.7.7 Intel D975Xbx2 Motherboard Intel Dual Core Duo Extreme 2.4 Processor PNY Nvidia FX 1500 video card 160 gb system drive 250... [view my complete system specs]

Ken Byrnes City Java Films System: Intel D975Xbx2 Motherboard Intel Dual Core Duo Extreme 2.4 Processor PNY Nvidia FX 1500 video card 160 gb system drive 250 gb video drive 150 gb audio drive 150 gb effects drive

• Mon, Jan 16 2012 6:00 PM In reply to

Re: Lost Project

Try a Windows "search" for the project name, in case it's in a different location than you think (Private vs Shared, etc).  If it really doesn't exist in an Avid Projects folder, or the Avid Attic, and you have no external backup copies, then yes, you'll need to start from scratch.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Mon, Jan 16 2012 6:17 PM In reply to

The media tool lists the project because media exists that was created by that project. So that's of little help.

Obviously you could drag all the clips from media tool into a new bin in a new project and hope you ahve all the media online. But without the project you have no creative information.

Did you not keep a backup of the project somewhere? 101 for Avid clearly advices taking a copy of the project each day to another drive or USB stick.

The Attic will slowly over time purge old bins as new ones are saved. So not much hope there.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Jan 16 2012 6:58 PM In reply to

• Def1412
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,175

As I had mentioned, this was an old project and while there are .mov of the finished short film I'm wanting to go back into the edit.  As to backup, I haven't found the files where they should normally be on other drives.  And for the reference to 'Avid 101'.  I don't think this project has been touched in over four years or more.

So it would seem that the answer is to start from scratch and recreate wjhat is on the dvd.  A lot of work considering there are fifteen hours of video.

System: Avid XPro 5.7.7 Intel D975Xbx2 Motherboard Intel Dual Core Duo Extreme 2.4 Processor PNY Nvidia FX 1500 video card 160 gb system drive 250... [view my complete system specs]

Ken Byrnes City Java Films System: Intel D975Xbx2 Motherboard Intel Dual Core Duo Extreme 2.4 Processor PNY Nvidia FX 1500 video card 160 gb system drive 250 gb video drive 150 gb audio drive 150 gb effects drive

• Mon, Jan 16 2012 7:41 PM In reply to

Def1412:
    for the reference to 'Avid 101'.  I don't think this project has been touched in over four years or more

4 yrs, 4 months, 4 days... doesn't matter.  If you had a backup of the Avid Project folder, then you'd have all the Bins and project organization, and most importantly the final sequence.  It should be a simple job to locate the old project, open the Bin into any new project and relink the media etc to get back to where the project was the last time it was touched. 

Def1412:
    So it would seem that the answer is to start from scratch and recreate wjhat is on the dvd.

If you don't have the Sequence, yes... that's you're only option.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller