Latest post Wed, Jan 25 2012 5:35 AM by Ervz Tia (Tikboy). 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:07 AM

How to Optimize For AMA-EOS7D Clips

Hello,

Please help me with the best setting/process for EOS7D workflow. I'm now on a MacPro system, I find the video slowing down and freezing on playback audio is ok though. [MacPro/Dual-Core Intel Xeon/2.66 GHz/Cores:4/MEM:6 GB -- MC 5.0.4]

But on a MacBookPro-13 I did not notice any drags. [MacPro/Dual-Core Intel Xeon/2.66 GHz/Cores:4/MEM:6 GB -- MC 5.0.4]

Project Setting: 720p/59.9/h264 (see screengrab) / AMA Volumes mounted fine/Bins ok/edit ok

Are there any essential tweaks I could have missed?

Thanks.

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Thu, Jan 12 2012 4:25 AM In reply to

Re: How to Optimize For AMA-EOS7D Clips

At this point, it is best to transcode or in some formats (NOT H.264) consolidate them. Use AMA to quickly access the files and make logging decisions.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 13 2012 2:12 AM In reply to

Thanks. Do you have a checklist or best practices for AMA-7D workflow?

I also notice a great improvement in MC6 (trial) working with AMA. Do you notice that too?

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

--

• Sun, Jan 15 2012 9:22 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,065
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

1.  Use AMA to access original clips.

2.  Check the Source Settings on the AMA clips to ensure that levels are mapped to 601/709 (if outputting for video).

3.  Transcode AMA 7D footage to DNxHD.  Note that camera timecode in now found in Aux TC.

4.  Edit.

5.  If necessary, take DNx media offline, open AMA bins and relink to original media.  Transcode to a higher quality DNx for finishing.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Mon, Jan 16 2012 3:52 AM In reply to

Thanks. I appreciate this. I'm now transcoding.

One question though -- How do you relink an exsisting AMA sequence to it's newly transcoded sources? See, I have already done a rough cut with the AMA clips and I just want to continue with the transcoded clips for smoother playback/edit.

Please help me with the steps again.

Thanks.

--

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Mon, Jan 16 2012 4:08 AM In reply to

tikboy:
    How do you relink an exsisting AMA sequence to it's newly transcoded sources?

If you offline the AMA, it should force the current master clips to link to the transcoded version assuming you did not change frame rate.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 17 2012 12:38 AM In reply to

Thanks.

Actually, I changed my mind. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet with AMA. It's just too many clips to trancode (2,000+ !), it's eating my time. It's a 7-day conference and need to cut a highlight (about 7 min?).

I'll cut with AMA and then trancode for final trim/fx/finish.

--

• Thu, Jan 19 2012 2:33 AM In reply to

ok, I think I want real speed this time. It was sticky and slow but i've done my rough cut with AMA and now ready for final edit and finish.

What's the best way to do it? Is it the same as suggested earler? transcode? consolidate?

If transcode, how can I still have my AMA clips available for last minute clip changes?

Please give steps again. Sorry, just making sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks.

--

• Thu, Jan 19 2012 10:12 AM In reply to

• janusz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris
    • Posts 394
    • Points 4,570

You transcode the clips in the sequence.  You can either: transcode the sequence, but this means you can only modify your edit to the extent of the handles you set.  Alternatively, place a copy of the sequence in a bin on its own, do 'set bin display', show reference clips.  Transcode the AMA clips used in the sequence, then relink against the transcoded clips.

A *big* word of warning.  If you have Perian installed, deactivate/uninstall it before the transcode (you can reactivate it afterwards).  It causes the footage to have the wrong levels (the technical reason is that it forces samples to be provided as RGB rather than YCrCb that Avid uses internally).

Janusz

MC 2018.12 / OS 10.12.6 + others elsewhere [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 20 2012 5:27 AM In reply to

Thank you!

I safely transcoded and almost finishing up 90%.

--

• Wed, Jan 25 2012 5:35 AM In reply to

Here's the piece I just finished. Thanks everyone!

Third Wave 2012 - Highlights

--

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller