Latest post Sat, Jan 21 2012 8:32 PM by chris014980. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 11 2012 4:31 PM

Editing 1st feature-length film advice

Hello all, my name's Chris, and this is my first post in a Avid forum. So, I have just been tapped to edit my 1st feature film at the end of July. I've been an editor for about 10 years now, and have cut everything except for a full length feature. I was wondering, for those of you have went from the world of short films, documentaries, music videos, etc., to first stepping into features, what are some of the pitfalls that could be avoided? Basic things, technical things, really anything you'd like to share.  I was going to recommend 4 4tb G-Raids, and as the job is out of country, we may have to resort to cutting on MacBook Pros. I have two assistant editors, and production time is 5 weeks (shooting on the RED), with only 5 weeks of picture post, so efficiency and workflow comments would also be helpful. As well as things to be sure my assistants are aware and capable of. Thank you all so much,

Chris

ps- should i upgrade to 6 prior to the job start? I'm comfortable with my 5.5.1, and as you know 6 has some... differences, both good and bad... so just wanted to get your ideas? Thanks again guys and girls.

• Wed, Jan 11 2012 4:38 PM In reply to

Re: Editing 1st feature-length film advice

Also, we will be doing both the DIT work as well as color correcting, so any tips on streamlining that flow amongst the assistants would also be great.

• Fri, Jan 20 2012 4:45 PM In reply to

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 9 2006
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 518
    • Points 5,965

Hey man,

Might be helpful to know what cameras you're using for the film....Congrats!

On our last film we used 3x 4TB Graids as Primaries (2 for REDS 1 for Phantom) and a 12TB G-Speed Q for the backup.

I was then able to do a one-light/export/import/sync/cut straight from the G-Speed which worked great. (I'm responsible for the trailer and I was media manager)

We made periodic copies of the Primary drives throughout shooting to deliver to the FX guys.  I would give them 2-3 days of footage at a time.

Anyway hope that helps in some way.

Media Composer 8.3.1, OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 20 2012 5:10 PM In reply to

Are you shooting separate audio that needs syncing in post?

You will of course need to deciding on how and when you make at least one backup of your rushes.

How you are going to use them in the offline (Pre process the R3D files to Avid Media) or AMA and Transcode?

And of course that will impact the finishing workflow.

Who's responsible for the post production coordination? You really need somebody who's done it and takes responsibility? It's a big gig to wing it and carry the can if it goes wrong?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Sat, Jan 21 2012 8:30 PM In reply to

Thanks for the response. We are shooting on the RED, and as of now it's the MX. 

• Sat, Jan 21 2012 8:32 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

Are you shooting separate audio that needs syncing in post?

You will of course need to deciding on how and when you make at least one backup of your rushes.

How you are going to use them in the offline (Pre process the R3D files to Avid Media) or AMA and Transcode?

And of course that will impact the finishing workflow.

Who's responsible for the post production coordination? You really need somebody who's done it and takes responsibility? It's a big gig to wing it and carry the can if it goes wrong?

Yes, shooting seperate audio that will be synced once we're in Avid. I was thinking it would be best to transcode as I have had AMA problems in the past and don't wish to revisit those in the middle of a feature shoot lol. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller