Latest post Thu, Feb 9 2012 12:05 AM by tv8berry. 70 replies.
Page 4 of 5 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 25 2012 11:28 AM In reply to

• haukez
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,545

Re: MC 6.0 Mac bugs

addinski:
    But the problem is still there. If I save the edited title it creates always a new title to the bin... Seems not logical to me.

Oh Yes! But I'm not shure this happens in MC 6 only (think it was in earlier versions too). But that always annoys me. Makes every BIN a messy place when editing an existing Title. Could be that I don't get how to avoid this, if so - it should be logical and self-explaining when avid overwrites an existing Title Clip and in which cases it creates a new version .01, .02 and so on.

BTW is there a known work arround for the foreign keyboard bug (my keys in KEyboard Settings do not match the function they are supposed to trigger)

Thanks

• Wed, Jan 25 2012 10:23 PM In reply to

Hey,

I installed the MC6.0 trial yesterday. I AMA linked to volume some AVCHD files and transcoded them to DNxHD36. Video and audio transcoded fine on about half of the clips. The other half there was no audio. So, I went back to AMA re-link to the volumes to try and transcode again but I got the same issue that Brian had in his "problem 1"

Nothing happens. The hard drive sounds like it is processing something but nothing happens.I've tried creating a new project, a new user, disabling and re-enabling the AMA management.

Has a solution been found for this or, at least, has a work around been found for this? We really need to get this footage (with audio) into our systems.

Thanks,

Adam

• Thu, Jan 26 2012 6:56 AM In reply to

• Lord Fluff
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 15 2011
    • London
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,445

Do you need to AMA them if you're transcoding anyway? Do you have the same problems if you just do a plain old File/Import?

HP z820, Decklink Extreme+, Areca RAID, Artist Colour, Symphony 6 // MBP17, UltraStudio3D, Pegasus TB RAID, MC6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 26 2012 9:52 AM In reply to

• haukez
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,545

Lord Fluff:
    Do you need to AMA them if you're transcoding anyway? Do you have the same problems if you just do a plain old File/Import?

First, I think Adam should start a separate thread for this. But I just have to hijack your Question for him, sorry :)

The "Problem" with classic transcoding is: you cannot re-link your Sequence to the Original AVCHD media afterwards, say for a aaf export to Premiere or Resolve. you can of course batch import to a higher resolution. In Theory. But at least with MC5/5.5 I personally had different issues with the whole workflow, Classic or AMA:

• *   switching Machines and/or/platforms did -- strangely just on half my clips -- corrupt the "Source File Paths" of the Masterclips (there where just cryptic caracters)- so I had to eye match and manually point to each clip in Order to Batch Import in a higher Resolution!
    • *   Classic Import of AVCHD is dead slow compared to AMA transcode
    • *   When Onlining via Batch Import always the WHOLE Original Clips are re-transcoded (there is no consolidtation) in my experience, slow slow slow..., and mass of storage needed.
    • *   on a windows machine I was not able to point the batch import Dialog for an Re-Import back to the original Clips which where transcoded on a Mac in the First place ("invalid File path" or the like, the Dialog then was aborted)
    • *   in the past versions the classic Import looked different but better then (the old) AMA (brightness, Levels, Gamma - i dont know) of my AVCHD Material (I wrapped avchd from a Nex-FS100 in a mov container in Version 5 since mts where crashing my machine), but the new AMA Plugin for AVCHD may make things different, but be warned of possible inconsistencies between Classic and AMA. And generally I think its not a good idea to mix AMA and Classic Import workflow. Better do the one or the other.
    • *   additional to AMA versus Classic I experienced that also the classic import never looks as the original AVCHD (clipped whites, shifted blacks), neither did AMA Import in the Past (but this may have changed with the New AVCHD Plugin in Version 6), I then succesfully but also painfully played around with a soft called 5dtoRGB - but thats another story
    • *   in contrast AMA does'nt give you the possibility of quick QT Reference Exports Workflow WHICH I PERSONALLY LOVE (sorry for shouting)

As for the Audio Problem: I experienced many Audio/Quicktime related Problems in the Project mentioned above. It could be that on some of your files the Camera Audio Format was changed from PCM integer to PCM float or even to ac3 Codec (!make shure you have that Codec installed!) or to a different (Multi-)Track layout which Avid maybe didn't like. So try for instance to separate the Audio from the Video (but I really think you should start a separate thread for this and leave a note about it here).

hauke

• Fri, Jan 27 2012 10:52 PM In reply to

• sven2615
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 12 2006
    • Berlin
    • Posts 152
    • Points 2,030

W. Ross Wells:

1. If I copy clips from the timeline to the clipboard and then attempt to paste them elsewhere in the timeline... I find there is nothing in the clipboard. On the second attempt, the copy/paste operation works... odd but repeatable.

hi ross,

noticed the same. there is something in the clipboard, but the monitoring icon got switched off. seems to be a BUG ;)

best
    sven 

Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 | MacPro 3.5 GHz 6core 32GB RAM | AJA T-Tap |||| The Audio Mixer is too BIG since mc6!!! [view my complete system specs]

www.svenbudelmann.com
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0118967/ 

• Fri, Jan 27 2012 11:56 PM In reply to

• sven2615
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 12 2006
    • Berlin
    • Posts 152
    • Points 2,030

dear developers,

hopefully anyone is reading this.
    my experiences are based on a mac pro 8core 3ghz 16gb ram. before version mc 6.0 i worked on mc 5.5 on the same system.

here is what i collected so far:

1. audio mixer --> is way too big

2. clip colors --> too little choice of colors

3. bin views  --> changing bin views is more difficult

4. cut to clipboad "alt + x"  --> selected clips will be loaded into source, monitoring got switched off

5. click while saving --> clicking anywhere while saving results in an osx alarm sound

6. vertical lift of clips in timeline --> vertical "lift overwrite" between tracks with pressed apple+shift key results in an osx alarm sound (same in mc5)

7. renaming --> renaming of bins and clips, left arrow click doesn´t jump to beginning of name, a double click on any word doenst mark the word

8. perfomance --> DEAR, whats the idea of a 64bit software?? slower performance?

9. effect tool adjusting --> fine adjusting with step forward / backward keys doesnt work

the audio mixer tool is way too big. it´s nearly double the size as is was and it has no benefit. one third of a monitor is blocked now. who asked for a visual peakmeter per channel?
    when leveling audio we mostly need to gang two tracks to change them at the same time. the gang button is really bad located and the distance between the sliders is too far for quick working. (btw: the digital levelmeter is disatracting)
    please make it at leats an option if you wanna work "advanced" with the old mixer tool which was perfectly reduced to perfection or the new huuuge big and good visible audio mixer which is very good visible but useless for mixing.

thats interesting. on the one hand you completely rearrange the columns in the bin by placing the color box right on top of the clip name. seems like organizing and coloring should become more important. thats great!
    but NOW! at the same time all colors got reduced to a sample of dozen. i complained about the new color palette already in version 5.
    how its like now is grotesque. where is the color wheel, the colored pencils, anything?

changing between text and frame view is one click more, open submenue plus click on the view you want. changing between text and frame view ist important when you work in frame mode, but need to change the clipcolor which only works in text view. how about offering a menue to button option? or change clip color in frame mode?

this seems to be a bug

annoying

annoying

this is probably just a bug. this was one of many advantages in a mac os world versus pc (where this feature never existed). pls make it work like it used to be.

the good news are. i´m working on version 6 for three days now and it never crashed! the bad news are: everything is slower. slip a clip e.g. when i quickly hit slide 10 times it doesnt slide in the speed i hit the key, it takes its time and after some time i can see the result. it feels like scrolling thru the timeline with unrendered effects. i want or better i NEED to see the result of a button hit in the moment i hit it and not with a delay of a fraction of a second.
    also the waveform doesnt show up any faster than before, my feeling is, its even slower. when i use frame view in a bin, press apple+a and hit many times apple+l, apple+l, apple+l,..... to enlarde the frames, it takes hours (like on a pc) until i can see the result of my hits. usually it wasnt that fast either, but i could click somwhere in that bin and in taht moment i could see the result of the ammount of button hits. i know, that´s probably not important but it reflects perfetly how mc6 behaves.

thats a reall bummer and can´t be serious.
    did any of the UI programmers ever tried to crop an image by approaching the perfect value by entering the value with the number pad or the sliders by using the mouse??? probably not!
    957 no,958 no, 959 no.... maybe 965 no, lets try 961 as value...
    using the step forward and backwards button is vital.

best
    sven

Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 | MacPro 3.5 GHz 6core 32GB RAM | AJA T-Tap |||| The Audio Mixer is too BIG since mc6!!! [view my complete system specs]

www.svenbudelmann.com
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0118967/ 

• Tue, Jan 31 2012 12:45 PM In reply to

• Brian
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 24 2011
    • Posts 16
    • Points 210

First: I'm with the last guy.  This thing is so buggy I don't have time to be jumping on to log every bug I come across otherwise that's all I'd be doing.

BUG REPORT: RTAS

DESCRIPTION: When using RTAS it will randomly quit playing audio in the timeline regardless of whether it's a clip that I added some RTAS effect or not.  So I have to then go back a clip or two and start again for it to begin playing again.

MC 6.0 Mac Dual 2.93 X 6 Core (Westmere), 32GB Ram, ATI Radeon 5870 [view my complete system specs]

SYSTEM:

• Thu, Feb 2 2012 5:48 PM In reply to

• taquiman
    • Not Ranked
    • Reus, Spain
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,120

sven2615:

W. Ross Wells:

1. If I copy clips from the timeline to the clipboard and then attempt to paste them elsewhere in the timeline... I find there is nothing in the clipboard. On the second attempt, the copy/paste operation works... odd but repeatable.

hi ross,

noticed the same. there is something in the clipboard, but the monitoring icon got switched off. seems to be a BUG ;)

best
    sven 

Same for me.

MC7.0.4 iMac 27" 3,5 GHz Intel Core i7, Mavericks 10.10.5, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, 32GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Pegasus2 Thunderbolt R4 12TB [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 3 2012 4:58 AM In reply to

• DJFio[DB]
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 3 2005
    • Moscow Russia
    • Posts 304
    • Points 4,025

1) Very slow timeline behavior with "Dupe detection" checked on
    2) Very slow timeline redraw (zoom in/out) - this was very fast in 4 or 5 versions
    3) No UI animation when dragging subclips from timeline or while dragging clips from one bins to another
    4) very slow UI redraw when toggled on "Show keyframes graphs" in effects editor
    5) constantly get ADM_COREAUDIO_UNDERRUN error when in fullscreen-both-fields mode. Unset "Both fields" in fullscreen playback settings - to eliminate problem.
    6) Also i can not set local clip colors right-clicking on timeline - this menu item is empty, but in application menu - everything seems to be ok. also i can not set alt-color from that menu.

7) P2 AMA clips messing with usual MXF footage -  (digitized, imported, titles) stored in AvidMediaFiles folder - causing random clips to go offline (this was also in 5 versions). this is really noticeable with massive amount of p2 (over 1000 compound long clips) and MXF footage (over 5000 long clips). there was no such problem in 4x versons.
    try:
    digitize or import or create titles to get huge amount of clips,
    then put these clips on timeline.
    check color to  show offline clips.
    after that link to p2 volumes via AMA -
    and look at the timeline.
    some clips goes offline.
    then try to unmount p2 volumes an delete linked clips from bins.
    and voila you've got your offline clips back.

In many other cases this version is much more stable than previous 5x (IMHO)

also noticed specific osx 10.7 - eSata errors (with sonnet e4p card), slowdowns, system crashes.
    but these errors are not related to media composer.

my zoo: NEXIS Pro 40 tb sw v18.6.1; MBPro_late_2013 15'' i7 16GBram OSX 10.13.6 MC 2019.7 BMD US monitor (or AJA io XT ), EXT thunderbolt NvidiaGPU... [view my complete system specs]

DJFio[DB]

• Fri, Feb 3 2012 5:31 AM In reply to

• Jim Gilson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 12 2011
    • Kennesaw, GA
    • Posts 79
    • Points 995

I've found it's quite hard to relink to files..especially ama....if they are ever moved or the drive is renamed, forget it.

MC 8.4. Mac Pro 12 core, LG 31MU97 Yosemite 10.10.5 on both X58A UD3R FF, K-5000, i7 970, 24g ram, USB3, SATA 6g. MC 8.4, OCZ 512 system drive,... [view my complete system specs]

"It's ok.  They're speaking Chinese."  Firesign Theatre

• Fri, Feb 3 2012 4:45 PM In reply to

• taquiman
    • Not Ranked
    • Reus, Spain
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,120

POSSIBLY BUG REPORT: Pan&Zoom don't like spanish.

If I try to import an image with the spanish letter 'ñ' included in the filename, the image doesn't show.  On the other hand, importing a movie with the same letter on the filename, it's work OK.  Thats what make me think it's a bug.

MC7.0.4 iMac 27" 3,5 GHz Intel Core i7, Mavericks 10.10.5, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, 32GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Pegasus2 Thunderbolt R4 12TB [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Fri, Feb 3 2012 5:15 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,345

taquiman:

POSSIBLY BUG REPORT: Pan&Zoom don't like spanish.

If I try to import an image with the spanish letter 'ñ' included in the filename, the image doesn't show.  On the other hand, importing a movie with the same letter on the filename, it's work OK.  Thats what make me think it's a bug.

As having used computers for as long as I can remember I never use other letters than international when naming things, this is a habit from the early Atari days, have saved me from unnecessary errors sometimes despite that modern OS introduced both swedish special letters and blank spaces between words later on.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Feb 3 2012 7:27 PM In reply to

• taquiman
    • Not Ranked
    • Reus, Spain
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,120

mjolnarn:

As having used computers for as long as I can remember I never use other letters than international when naming things, this is a habit from the early Atari days, have saved me from unnecessary errors sometimes despite that modern OS introduced both swedish special letters and blank spaces between words later on.

Yep, I understand it, but just seemed odd to me than avid accept funky letters in some places and not in others.  By the way, you're right about working exclusively with international letters.

• Sat, Feb 4 2012 12:53 PM In reply to

Good advice - if you try to link to a QuicKtime file using AMA and there is an odd character in the filename, AMA fails (there is an unhelpful error message that does not indicate the reason).

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.13.6 with Symphony 2018.12, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.13.6 with MC 2018.5 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Sat, Feb 4 2012 1:03 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,345

And on the PC side it seems to brake also MDV when using non international characters

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 4 of 5 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller