Latest post Sat, Dec 17 2011 4:44 PM by Larry Rubin. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 17 2011 4:14 PM

Importing massively increases the file size

I notice that when I import a 700MB .avi file using the default resolution (1:1 10b RGB MXF) I wind up with a 38GB .mxf file!

Switching to the other choice (DNxHD), the resulting file size is more manageable.

So what is that first one (1:1) used for? Why does it increase the file size so dramatically?

• Sat, Dec 17 2011 4:35 PM In reply to

• Brian Suttie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 917
    • Points 11,570

Re: Importing massively increases the file size

1:1 is just that -1:1 with no compression. It does result in massive file sizes and very high bit rates which most systems can't cope with.  Sounds like your source file is heavily compressed so there's no advantage to inflating it so much. That's why DNxHD is a good choice - very high quality but as you've found out much more manageable.

Your source file is probably only 8 bit so again no need to try to inflate it to 10 bit.  And are you in an RGB project for any particular reason?  You'll get a better choice of resolutions in a regular 601/709 project.

regards

Brian 

"We'll fix it in post"
    "This is post"
    "aaaahh"

• Sat, Dec 17 2011 4:37 PM In reply to

johncmurphy:
    Why does it increase the file size so dramatically?

Because it is totally uncompressed. To help you estimate how much disk space you will need for any different combination of project formats and resolutions, here is a storage calculator tool.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Dec 17 2011 4:40 PM In reply to

Good point about not being in 601/709 project mode. When I upgraded to MC6 I think my settings got changed, and never looked at them until just now. Thanks.

• Sat, Dec 17 2011 4:44 PM In reply to

John:

With any major version upgrade of Composer, you should re-create your user profile from scratch, as there are frequently many changes and additions to various parameters. Do not carry over your MC 5 profile into MC 6.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller