Latest post Mon, Jun 18 2012 4:50 PM by Kamau. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 13 2011 12:18 PM

• AlexF
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 13 2011
    • Posts 30
    • Points 395

MC6 Relink AMA Files

Hello,

i have ProRes-Files linked with AMA in MC6.

If i want to relink ama-files the files MC6 only asks and links to every second file.

So if i want to relink 100 files, 50 files are offline after relinking. If i relink these 50 files, 25 are still offline and so on.

In MC5.5 this works fine.

One thing could be improved when relinking ama-files:

MC asks me for every file i want to relink where it is.

If i have 100 files in the same folder, it is very annoying.

There should be some intelligence if files i want to relink are in the folder of the first file i'm linking to.

maybe someone has an idea to make it better.

thanks

• Tue, Dec 13 2011 12:26 PM In reply to

Re: MC6 Relink AMA Files

Can't you use AMA mount volume and not individual files?

AMA Mount volume should allow you to point to the folder containing the QT files and all of them should appear in the bin?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Tue, Dec 13 2011 12:34 PM In reply to

• AlexF
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 13 2011
    • Posts 30
    • Points 395

No i cannot use that, because i want to relink.

Initially i do use AMA mount volume.

But later i have to relink to modified QT files, so i have to use relink AMA files.

While doing that MC6 asks and links only every second file.

• Mon, Dec 19 2011 10:11 PM In reply to

• Brian
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 24 2011
    • Posts 16
    • Points 210

This is not just a small issue, this is a huge issue. I can't believe that Avid can't make it to where if an AMA file is offline that you simply can't click the relink button and then Avid ask you where you wish to look for the file and then have a "link all other media" option button so everything relinks automatically. Also, the relink solution as it currently exists doesn't work well at all. I believe I've even seen guessing games in Avid's knowledge base on how to relink with things like:

- First try it with these buttons selected.

- If that doesn't work try it with these buttons selected.

- If that doesn't work, here's a last ditch attempt to relink them method.

Really? So I can't move my files to a different folder, hit relink and Avid simply search that folder and it's sub folders for my media to the current project

So very frustrating Final Cut is so much easier, NOT TO MENTION THAT IN FINAL CUT YOU CAN POINT TO WHERE YOU WANT THE MEDIA SAVED AND NOT BE SCREWED IN ONLY HAVING IT AT THE ROOT LEVEL OF THE DRIVE!  Why can't Avid get a clue sometimes?

MC 6.0 Mac Dual 2.93 X 6 Core (Westmere), 32GB Ram, ATI Radeon 5870 [view my complete system specs]

SYSTEM:

• Mon, Dec 19 2011 11:24 PM In reply to

• vpcmike
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 1,669
    • Points 20,140

Wow.  For a first post, that was incredibly harsh.  Avid's media management blows Final Cut's away.  We hired a new editor and it took him several days to piece together our old editor's FCP media strategy since clips were spread all over 3 hard drives.  With Avid they are all in the Avid MediaFiles directory.  So, from my point of view FCP's media management sucks.  Why won't they fix it?  Oh yeah, Apple pretty much abandoned the professional field and FCP X is a joke.  People are abandoning it in droves.

Vent over - can't stand when someone's first post is bashing without seeing any side but their own narrow view. 

System #1 - Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93, 24 GB RAM, 16 TB ISIS 5000 System #2 - Core i7 2600k, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000 System #3 - Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 20 2011 1:42 AM In reply to

• Brian
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 16
    • Points 210

1. Not my first post. Just under a new user, but thanks for the judgement of the ages... The mighty, "I'm right because I sit here posting more" response.

2. I don't like FCP. I don't edit on FCP. I've been an Avid editor since 1994. But I've played around enough with FCP to know when it has an occasional feature that is created better than Avid's... And one that actually works.

3. I find Forum Snobs like yourself funny. They can't disagree with the dislike about Avid either because A. They've never even investigated FCP so they don't know what to say.  B. They just don't know what to say, so they try to retort with no answer other than "I'm better than you." that painfully has no substance whatsoever.

4. Your editor's inability to organize footage has nothing to do with me, my complaint, Avid's relinking or Final Cut's ability to chose where to look for media and to ACTUALLY find it. See answer 3...

Now about the actual subject: (Which if I wanted to be a forum snob, I could say you went off the thread subject)

- Avid's Media Management would be fine if you could hit Consolidate Project and it actually archive your entire project into a single folder. But you can't and that's why it's media management stinks along with it's relinking stinking.

- Why not just use Avid's "Trashcan, hold your media hostage" method? I want to store each individual project in it's own single folder along with anything else possible having to do with that project from scripts to graphics. This way in 2 weeks or 5 years I can just open up that folder and not only does everything work and is online, but I also have any other assets, notes, etc. with that project in one spot (You might pass that along to your editor). We complete 600 projects per year as well as re-edit many of these projects. Some are short 30 sec. spots. Some are long form videos. Avid's "trashcan" method of placing everything in one folder doesn't work for this when you do not have infinite storage capacity and have to archive entire projects that may need re-editing using different footage that is within the project.

- Consolidate you say? Let's go down the consolidate road.

A) Consolidate the Sequence:

The CEO walks in on Mon. and says he wants to make changes throughout an hour long video, with 75 different interviews, 12 hours of b-roll, and have the revised project ready by end of day Tues. I just say, "sorry boss, can't do that quickly because I consolidated my sequence and now only have the footage that is in the final sequence because Avid doesn't simply let you consolidate a project efficiently nor relink to everything easily, and oh by the way, AMA only works part of the time so we probably can't even link to the new volumes anyway.

B) Consolidate the Clips:

Well that's an efficient method isn't it? Instead of simply dragging out an old project, clicking "relink", setting the folder for the old project to look at, and ACTUALLY finding the footage. Let's go through the entire project and select every single clip in every single bin and consolidate it because wasting that time makes sense.

C. How I handle media: First for new users, Avid holds it's media hostage to where it will ONLY look one place... The Avid MediaFiles folder in the root directory. First, I don't want it in the root directory because that's not where all the project assets live. 2nd, they do this to hold us financially hostage so we have to buy expensive hardware for working in a multi-editor environment.

This is asinine.

So since I must have the ability to open up an old project and instantly begin working on it without worrying about offline media and relinking issues (the two are bread and butter) then I have to work differently. Not to mention that it makes no sense for me to have a 1000 other assets from scripts to still photos for a project in one folder and the media to the project in an entirely different location mixed together with 1000 other projects.

So my project folder contains everything. Media, scripts, notes, other digital assets, even emails associated with it. So when I have to work on Project X later, it's all in one location and not buried in the tomb of the Unknown Avid Project. This means NO RELINKING, no consolidating, no offline anything... Renders, precomputes, master clips, it's all right there ready to work.

I just drag the Avid MediaFiles folder to the root, navigate to the project, and open. But it's annoying, it's not fast for those criss crossing projects like FCP allows. It is susceptible to mistakes in a fast paced environment, BUT it's 100% completely archive / edit read. If Avid's method for holding media even simply allowed for placing media in separate folders by project within the Avid Projects folder, than even that would be closer to acceptable.

Avid's media management does not stink for everyone, but for jobs like mine it does. However, the relinking just plain stinks. When all they have to do is add AN OPTION (I say OPTION for the purists that like to have their media in a uneasily archivable trashcan), that allows people to simply point the avid to a directory, click "search media for this project" and begin posting. And if you say that's how it works or if you think that the relinking works just fine, I'll be glad to see if you can get my media to relink WITHOUT RELINKING TO WHAT THE AVID SEES AS A NEW VOLUME and then relinks by accident.

I'm sorry that this didn't include more sophisticated reasons like, "Your answer is poo poo beause I've been on this site more."

Thank you for your time...

MC 6.0 Mac Dual 2.93 X 6 Core (Westmere), 32GB Ram, ATI Radeon 5870 [view my complete system specs]

SYSTEM:

• Tue, Dec 20 2011 3:04 AM In reply to

Let's knock it off with the attacks folks, that's not why we're here.

Brian, you make good points, but as of now, this is the way it is so complaining won't do much good. 

Avid chose to focus on moving the software to 64-bit in the last release, rewriting it from scratch, and as a result, we are basically still looking at AMA v1.0.  Many things will have to be improved down the road, but right now, there are other issues they are dealing with to get v6.0 to be a more solid piece of software.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Dec 20 2011 3:06 AM In reply to

Alex,

If relinking individual files doesn't work for you, you can open a new bin and re-AMA the contents of your drive.  Usually that will also bring your original clips online in one swoop.  Then you can delete the new bin and keep editing.

An annoying workaround, but it's better than relinking hundreds of clips one by one.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Dec 20 2011 1:40 PM In reply to

• Brian
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 16
    • Points 210

Hey Kevin, do you know if Avid has stated anywhere that they are working to correct the relinking issues? (and / or volume linking, consolidating/archiving, Avid MediFiles folder location)

Kevin Klimek:
    this is the way it is so complaining won't do much good. 

Also, sorry Kevin, but if no one complains then it won't change. I'm very sad that FCP died as this was the only way Avid actually did listen to customers. Yes, I realize that if they don't listen anyway then why complain... It's because Avid "claims" to want to move in a new direction and actually listen to the customers rather than ignore them as normal.

However, in another effort to work with Avid instead of complain here is what I just asked them... I'll let you know the response...

Dear Avid:

- Is Avid planning on fixing "Relink" soon? And will they make it to where you can select a folder to search it and it's subfolders for media and then actually locate it?
    - Ditto for AMA volume linking / relinking, and just having AMA function correctly in general...?

I ask these things in the light that since you (Avid) just rebuilt the system from the ground up and chose not to alter these items and this concerns me that Avid is choosing again to not listen to the customers since these are not new items.

(I also asked about the Consolidate/Archive and Avid MediaFiles/hostage subject, but I won't continue with that in this string unless they update me with a whopping "Oh yes, yes we are doing that as we speak!" sort of answer.)

SYSTEM:

• Tue, Dec 20 2011 1:50 PM In reply to

For changes to the way MC works it's more effective to post in the feature request forum.

However with the move to MC6 I'm pretty sure the complete code change was a big enough task added to by the additional features V6 came with. Without adding in other changes that coudl well have caused more issues for users.

It made sense to get MC to 64bit and when stable and proven to move on to enhancing features and even fixing longer standing issues....

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

Filed under:
  • Wed, Dec 21 2011 6:52 AM In reply to

• Brian
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 16
    • Points 210

If Avid will commit to saying they are going to get those items fixed (reasonably soon), then great. However, 6.0 is hardly an excuse for not attending to these items before now as these issues have been around plenty long before 6.0 . And in som cases, like consolidate, they've been an issue for many years.

SYSTEM:

• Wed, Dec 21 2011 9:21 AM In reply to

Brian:

If Avid will commit to saying they are going to get those items fixed (reasonably soon), then great. However, 6.0 is hardly an excuse for not attending to these items before now as these issues have been around plenty long before 6.0 . And in som cases, like consolidate, they've been an issue for many years.

Then we're into the "road map" so we can all know what Avid plans for the future. Unfortunately that also means they can't adapt, change course, respond to market changes. And their competition knows exactly how to counter their develpment.

So no I don't imagine Avid will commit to changes above what they already do.

I do know that what we see as a "simple" fix can be a very complex task and in some cases could be impossible based on the current code design. The work of the develops has to be balanced against the ongoing development and "fixes" and just what fixes and development comes first. Plenty of things to be working on and they all can't be top of the pile!

So as always with all software my advice is judge it's usefulness to you on what it can do now (or can't) don't assume a future change will resolve an issue for you and if it's important to you loby for support for ideas and features and post them as appropriate. Join the Beta teams when they are running and actively contribute to the work in hand.

Filed under:
  • Wed, Dec 21 2011 4:20 PM In reply to

• Brian
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 16
    • Points 210

Unfortunately Kevin was quite accurate when he said, "Brian makes good points, but as of now, this is the way it is so complaining won't do much good."

And that's exactly why I cannot accomodate Kevin. Because we were all so used to Avid not listening, we just shut up and let FCP almost destroy Avid while we all stood by chanting our "Avid is King" mantra like lemmings.

Unless Gary Greenfield, Kirk Arnold, Chris Gahagan, Bruce Yaung, and Jodi Sweeney actually are commited to doing what Avid said it would do and really listen, I do not intend to quit complaining about major issues with Avid's software. In fact, I encourage others to do the same (along with a steady stream of feature requests).

Further, I also encourage FCP users to complain all the louder for Apple to bring FCP back with a vengence as it seems that the only way Avid pulls it's head out of it's perverbial butt is to get tromped on in market share.

I will quit commenting in this thread about this topic as this is completely off topic. However, if anyone wishes to either continue or join in a voice to make changes to the above issues about relinking, a solid AMA workflow, and archiving, then please let me know.

Thanks

SYSTEM:

• Wed, Dec 21 2011 4:38 PM In reply to

Brian,

Don't take me wrong.  I am not discouraging you from bringing up issue with the software the need to be addressed.

I am merely stating that RIGHT NOW, at this very moment, the engineers are 100% focused on stabilizing v6 and addressing numerous bugs that are critical to user's workflows.  You can post as many threads as you want, make phone calls, tell your Congressman, but nothing is going to change about AMA until these issues are addressed.  The hope is that 6.0.1 will address most of these issues and will be released sometime in January.

I would also like to see some of things you highlighted change.  But I also know when to pick my fights.  And right now, we're dealing with other issues that I believe are more important.  But once they are resolved, I will be standing right beside you looking for improvements to the software.

I would also encourage you to follow Pat's suggestion and consider becoming part of the beta program.  You have much more influence on software development than you do just posting about it in the forums.

-- Kevin

• Wed, Dec 21 2011 4:43 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,259
    • Points 30,520

I hate to say it, but this type of thing is EXACTLY the reason you don't jump all over a "dot-zero" release of a major upgrade.  Unless you HAVE to have one of the new features, it's best to wait, watch and let others take the hits.

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller