Latest post Fri, Dec 2 2011 6:43 PM by Pat Horridge. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 1 2011 4:53 PM

• kevhybrid
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 6 2006
    • Posts 7
    • Points 125

When importing thousands of audio files

I have MC 5.5.1 on a Mac

I have a music drive with thousands of music files in many different folders.  Is there a way to import the files while keeping them organized in there folders, and not doing it one folder at a time into separate bins?

It would be awesome if I could just select the root music folder containing all the sorted folders and then click import and walk away to other tasks.

Or maybe is there a way to "link" to the drive like in FCP?

please help me Avid Community Forum, you're my only hope...

3.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    8GB RAM

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 4.0.2

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Thu, Dec 1 2011 5:29 PM In reply to

Re: When importing thousands of audio files

You can do a search on the computer for music files and then pickup th results window contents and drag and drop to MC and it will import but all in to one bin.

You could then sort by file patch and collect the groups by file path and drag to new bins but no easy way.

You can AMA link to files but there's no AMA from the very top and keep the folder structure.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Fri, Dec 2 2011 6:34 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,259
    • Points 15,955
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Kev -- Let's try this via AMA. In Media Composer Settings, click on AMA and tell it to create new bins based on folder structure. Then click File/Import AMA Volume. Click on the master folder containing your audio files.

This note from one of the top gurus at Avid, Bob Russo, about your specific case:

"The Link to AMA volume will work with a folder full of QT files. He might have to link to a few folders depending on his organization but this will work."

Good luck!

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Fri, Dec 2 2011 6:43 PM In reply to

Pixel Monkey:

Kev -- Let's try this via AMA. In Media Composer Settings, click on AMA and tell it to create new bins based on folder structure. Then click File/Import AMA Volume. Click on the master folder containing your audio files.

This note from one of the top gurus at Avid, Bob Russo, about your specific case:

"The Link to AMA volume will work with a folder full of QT files. He might have to link to a few folders depending on his organization but this will work."

Good luck!

Wouldn't it be great to have that option. Been asking for it for ages.

Not in MC V5.5.2 and just checked V6.0 and not there either.

Only choises are:

Use Active bin.

Create new bin using default binnaming convention

Create new bin based on volume name

Create new bin with specific bin name

I've asked before for an option to slect the root level of a tapeless compilation drive and have Avid dig through it creating bins and folders AMA linked but alas it's just a dream still....

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller