Latest post Tue, Nov 29 2011 5:27 PM by Vilem. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 28 2011 5:35 PM

• Dan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 12 2011
    • UK
    • Posts 231
    • Points 3,165

MXF/OMFI re-import with no project.

Hi all,

There's probably a simple solution to this (well, I hope so anyway) - I'm sorting through a large hard drive of old projects, and there are quite a few MXF and OMFI rushes, but they're not linked to any project. I want to see what they are, and get them into a new Avid project - but how? I've tried putting them into an existing OMFI/MXF database and opening up the mediatool but they don't show up, even after a refresh. I'm assuming this is because the original project no longer exists - so how do I get them into a new project?

Cheers

Symphony 8.5.3 Windows 7 pro 64bit. Intel Core i7 2600k. 16GB RAM. Nvidia Quadro fx5500. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 28 2011 5:40 PM In reply to

Re: MXF/OMFI re-import with no project.

Doesn't matter if there is a project or not. They should show up, depending on your Media Tool display settings.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 28 2011 5:55 PM In reply to

• E-GoRe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 25 2011
    • Ontario
    • Posts 155
    • Points 1,905

You should be able to drag the MXF file right into a bin and see it from there.

• Tue, Nov 29 2011 12:38 PM In reply to

• Revenger
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 11 2011
    • Estonia
    • Posts 82
    • Points 1,020

I would use a application called Media Database Viewer

http://fiool.nm.ru/progz/

It scannes the media drives you want and after that you can move or copy all the Unnamed project mediafiles to the new drive. After that I would try to open these files in Avid Media Tool selecting only this drive and selecting Master Clips and Precomputes.

MC 2019.7; HP Z800; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; Dual Quad-Core Intel(R) Xeon(R) X5570 @ 2.93GHz; 24GB (6 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 ECC RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 (driver... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 29 2011 1:46 PM In reply to

• Dan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 12 2011
    • UK
    • Posts 231
    • Points 3,165

Hi all, thanks for your responses,

I still can't get the media online - Thanks for your tip, Revenger, I actually do use MDV already to move the files, unfortunately Avid cannot see them.

What I've done so far is -

1. Move the orphaned MXF and OMFI media to an empty drive (using MDV) and put it into the respective OMFi and MXF database folders on that drive - there is no other media in them right now.

2. Open up a fresh project (also on that drive) and use the mediatool to try and locate the new MXF and OMFI media - nothing shows up. 

3. Tried deleting the database files to rebuild the databases - still nothing in the mediatool.

4. tried creating new media from within that project - like titles. These show up in the mediatool ok.

I'm sure there's something simple I'm overlooking - just don't know what. When using the mediatool I only have the option of selecting 'current project' or 'all projects' but theres nothing for 'all media even if it's not linked to a project' - is there a setting I'm missing?

Symphony 8.5.3 Windows 7 pro 64bit. Intel Core i7 2600k. 16GB RAM. Nvidia Quadro fx5500. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 29 2011 2:35 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,409
    • Points 15,510

Hi,
    Unfortunately, I do not know any instructions on how to view the Unallocated media to Avid project, but I noticed that Avid is unable to assign media to non-standard characters in title. In my example, the latitude Czech diacritics. It was just for the future of media management.

William

AVID MC2019.6 - dongle, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 411.95, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.11, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 29 2011 2:43 PM In reply to

Dan:
    I only have the option of selecting 'current project' or 'all projects' but theres nothing for 'all media even if it's not linked to a project'
    All media is linked to a project. And if it isn't linked to project, the Media Tool would show a project named 'No Project'.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 29 2011 5:27 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,409
    • Points 15,510

I tried the Windows Explorer to find the appropriate folder with the media msmMMOB.mdb file and drag it into the bin in the project MC. It is a database of all clips stored in the folder. They should be visible at least master clips.

William

AVID MC2019.6 - dongle, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 411.95, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.11, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller