Latest post Wed, Nov 23 2011 6:46 PM by Revenger. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 22 2011 11:09 AM

• huunab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 30 2011
    • Posts 19
    • Points 195

Red Workflow Rebatch Question

Hey all,

I'm working on a project, which was shot with the red and now we notice, that we have to reimport some shots.

Some of the shots are too bright, so that some skies are just white, and we can't get any information out of it with the avid colorcorrection. later these shots will be corrected anyway, but we want to work with shots, which are acceptable also in the offline edit..

So we checked the files in redcine-x and corrected it there and rendered new mxfs and aafs. now i'm asking myself how to replace the master clips with these new ones, without running into some master-clip-chaos..

The old clips were rendered with metafuze. the problem is, that redcine-x has another "naming convention" than metafuze. It puts some individual letters at the end of every mxf file.

I tried to renamed the new files like the old ones and simply replace the mxfs in the mediafiles folder. after a rescan, the clip was now offline. then i relinked it and it worked - but only with the v1 track!

has anyone any idea why avid is only relinking the video, but not with audio track?

or maybe there is a much simpler way?

thank you,

hannes from germany

• Tue, Nov 22 2011 4:27 PM In reply to

• Revenger
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 11 2011
    • Estonia
    • Posts 76
    • Points 960

Re: Red Workflow Rebatch Question

Just had the same problem, over-exposed highlights with RED.

Using MetaFuze I changed the ISO value lower and reconverted the clips. The file names stayed the same so when I put the new files in media folder windows asked me to overwrite it and the modified clips relinked to master clips. Of course you probably have more possibilities to tweak the highlights in Redcine but Metafuze did the trick for me...

MC 2019.6; HP Z800; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; Dual Quad-Core Intel(R) Xeon(R) X5570 @ 2.93GHz; 24GB (6 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 ECC RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 (driver... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 22 2011 4:34 PM In reply to

Wow are people still working that way?

MC is so cool with red footage.

AMA it in, make selects (no realtime playback but enough to make choises) do a pre set source settings adjustement to get within range. Transcode to an offline resolution.

Do edit, Relink sequence back to AMA red files. final set source adjustment. Transcode to finishing resolution then colour correct.

Works really well and no outside processes.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Nov 22 2011 4:43 PM In reply to

• Revenger
    • Not Ranked
    • Estonia
    • Posts 76
    • Points 960

Yes AMA works just fine but if you have tons of material for full length feature Metafuze is really helpful because you can continue to work in Avid while Metafuze converting on background. Plus Metafuze uses all the cores, Avid only one. The conversion speed difference is HUGE, at least with my workstation and 5.5.3.

Probably different game with MC 6 but still you can't work in MC while transcoding. It will be one nice day, when background trancoding will be available in MC :)

MC 2019.6; HP Z800; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; Dual Quad-Core Intel(R) Xeon(R) X5570 @ 2.93GHz; 24GB (6 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 ECC RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 (driver... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 22 2011 4:49 PM In reply to

• Chris Aust
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Munich
    • Posts 436
    • Points 4,765
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Hi,

in MC6 transcode AMA-linked RED files and check for the used cores... you will be surprised ;)

cheers

-chris

MC 2019.7 | VMware Workstation 14 virtual Interplay on Arch Linux 4.20.11| Dell XPS 15 |||| obsolete MacBookPro 17", 2.5GHz Quad Core i7, 16GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]

Chris Aust

Munich, Germany

Avid Workflow Consultant | ACI | Trainer

Splash!Zone

• Wed, Nov 23 2011 2:30 PM In reply to

• huunab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 30 2011
    • Posts 19
    • Points 195

Okay, thank you!

I'm going to render the files again with metafuze. Then there is no problem to replace the mxfs.. :)

But lets say - just hypothetically - that I want to import some clips as really "new" master clips, without deleting the old master clips. For example we have one important shot, where the sky is white and the foreground is perfect just the way it was rendered the first time. Now I would like to render a new version of the clip, where the iso is perfect for the sky, so that i can make a testcompositing of both of the clips.. I know that this is not the normal way, but we cant wait for the color correction ;)

is there any way not to get into a kind of masterclip-conflict with this files? Perhaps there is a setting in Metafuze, to randomize the ending of the clip or something like this.. or is there already no problem, when I import the new file, for example with the mxf files on another drive..

thanks,

hannes

• Wed, Nov 23 2011 6:46 PM In reply to

• Revenger
    • Not Ranked
    • Estonia
    • Posts 76
    • Points 960

If you have just few clips that you would like to re-import I would probably transcode these clips in Avid, using AMA and tweaking the colors with Set Source Settings.

If you want to use Metafuze put the newly transcoded clips in a different folder under AvidMediafiles/MXF.  For instance if you have old version of the MXF files in folder 1, create folder 2 and put the new clips inside it. I would also recommend changing the clips' project name in Metafuze to avoid any masterclips linking problems.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller