Latest post Thu, Dec 8 2011 6:21 PM by David Sikes. 20 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 30 2011 5:19 AM In reply to

• SDM|STUDIOS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 13 2010
    • San Diego, CA
    • Posts 33
    • Points 415

Re: Problems moving 5.5 project to 6.0

Hey guys,

I'm having the same issue too.  My project has a mix of AMA and ingested media.  I tried trashed the datatbase files and I even trashed the MC State setting files (saw it on another post) and the problem is still on going.  One thing I did notice, but I'm not sure if it's the problem, is that a few of my audio files are 16bit instead of the projects 24bit depth.  If this is the issue, I'm not sure why it would work in MC5 and not in MC6, unless it's one of those bugs overlooked in the 64bit rewrite.  I'll find all the 16bit audio and transcode them to 24bit and see if this fixes it.

SDM

Avid Media Composer 8 / Avid Pro Tools 10 --- PC: HP xw4300 Workstation, 3.2GHz Intel Pentium Dual Core, 8GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX 3450, Win 8.1 Pro 64bit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 8 2011 5:25 PM In reply to

• David Sikes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 28 2011
    • Alabama
    • Posts 14
    • Points 180

Hello everyone! I finally figured out how to fix this.

I created a new project in MC 6.0, then imported all the bins from the previous project. I then opened all folders and highlighted all bins, and selected "Open selected bin". All of the bins opened and loaded content (and I assume upgraded to 6.0 or something as it took some time). After that, however, things have been running well!

Thanks for your help. Glad it's finally fixed.

Media Composer 6.0 Mac OS 10.7.x 2.8 GHz i5 27" iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 8 2011 5:45 PM In reply to

davidsikes73:

Hello everyone! I finally figured out how to fix this.

I created a new project in MC 6.0, then imported all the bins from the previous project. I then opened all folders and highlighted all bins, and selected "Open selected bin". All of the bins opened and loaded content (and I assume upgraded to 6.0 or something as it took some time). After that, however, things have been running well!

Thanks for your help. Glad it's finally fixed.

I always suggest not moving projects between version. Always make a new project on the new system with the same project name as the old one. Copy the bins across and go from there.

Also use user settings made on that version of MC

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Thu, Dec 8 2011 6:14 PM In reply to

By opening the files this way, they may not be associated with the project.  Unless the bins need to be in another project, you should copy them to your project folder and open from there.

Otherwise, when you backup the project, you won't be backing up those bins!

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Dec 8 2011 6:20 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    I always suggest not moving projects between version.
    This could be good advice.

FWIW I would only follow it IF I had a problem with opening the original project in a newer version. That has not happen here yet. Yesterday a MC4 project with 40+  P&Z's,  Avid FX and BCC effects opened no problems in MC 6. I relocated 2 logo's in Avid FX and everything was on line.

• Thu, Dec 8 2011 6:21 PM In reply to

• David Sikes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 28 2011
    • Alabama
    • Posts 14
    • Points 180

Kevin Klimek:

By opening the files this way, they may not be associated with the project.  Unless the bins need to be in another project, you should copy them to your project folder and open from there.

Otherwise, when you backup the project, you won't be backing up those bins!

That actually is what I did to get them into the project. I didn't think about the file management concerns — I did it because Avid only lets you open one bin at a time and I have a few dozen. Thanks for the tip!

Media Composer 6.0 Mac OS 10.7.x 2.8 GHz i5 27" iMac [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller