Latest post Sun, Feb 12 2012 4:24 PM by JonnyAppleseed. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 10 2011 12:13 AM

• JonnyAppleseed
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 9 2011
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

5.5.3 on Mini w/ AUDIO delay during playback

I am running 5.5.3 on an i7 2.7 mac mini w/ AMD 6630m etc. (10/01/2011 build)

Working w/ :30 ish 15:1s sd vid sequence timelines w/ 16 tracks of audio (not all top to tail) and am expiriencing a severe audio delay/ lag. It is about a 1/2 to 1 sec lag behind video when playing back. Satart/ stop playing (loading the buffer?) will help sometimes and sometimes it plays fine for the 1st play of a seq w/o changes.

Seq and media are tranfered back and forth to "work" on a portable drive. Everything works fine when "re-loaded" back on the work Avid/ isis/ PC.

It doesn't seem to make sense that the audio is slow, the video is the ram hog right?

Fast scrub is off

Happens when media is on Local or external (FW 800) drive is Mac formatted

Loaded re-loaded/ Authorised/ de-authorised software

Anyone having similar problem with the Mac Mini?

Mac mini Dual-Core Intel Core i7 2.7GHz, 4GB DDR3 memory, 750GB SATA hard drive, AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics processor

Z440/xeon(r) i7E5-1650 v3 @ 3.50/ nvidia quadro K2200 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 10 2011 2:00 AM In reply to

Re: 5.5.3 on Mini w/ AUDIO delay during playback

Sounds like either CPU or drive is unable to keep up with demand. Though overall the bandwidth fits through FW800, the drive may not be agile enough to access the various video and audio files concurrently (drive latency).

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 9 2012 6:18 PM In reply to

• pgvozdas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 20
    • Points 275

Did you ever find a fix to your problem? I just upgraded my 17 inch MacBook Pro to 5.5.3.2 and I'm having the same audio delay. I'm running Lion 10.7.2. I've tried different media drives, video and audio mixdowns, going from DNX115 to DNX36. Nothing is working. My project did work on my work computer running 5.0.4. My now on my laptop I have this audio delay. Wondering if MC 6 will be a fix. Thanks for your help.

• Sun, Feb 12 2012 4:24 PM In reply to

• JonnyAppleseed
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 9 2011
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

If you can believe it, the day after I posted my question, the delay went away. I knew it wasn't fixed but I was happy I could get work done with out the agrivation. Remember I'm only using 15-1s mxf media. I had beed through several more projects (bringing bins and media to and from work). Now after you posted your question, It returned! I *** you not! I was working fine for most of the day and I seem to remember it went haywire after I used a reverse effect. That's all I can remember having been done. Again, I am doing nothing fancy! 2 maby 3 layers of video (with no eeffect, just stacked to keep images in place). These are 30 second sequences (maybe out to a minute with all the work clips at the end of the sequence) I would hate to think that the FX card can't handle simple effects. I have the AMD Radeon HD graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR5 in my mac mini. 

Anyway, I tend to belive the drive latency therory. I would like to find a drive that is 7200 constant speed through the firewire 800 port. Thunderbolt might fix it too but they're pretty proud of Thunderbolt drives right now so I'll wait. If I ever solve it. I'll post it. I would like to hear more theories but no one seems to post anything. I'll try to put a project and media on the root drive and see what happens. I thought I tried that before but if it did lag, Iwould've returned the mini.

Meh, I've gone on too long... Please let me know what you find out, if anything. (I have not upgraded to 6 yet. I'm gonna let work fix the bugs on that before I use it at home)

-Jonny

Z440/xeon(r) i7E5-1650 v3 @ 3.50/ nvidia quadro K2200 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller