Latest post Sun, Nov 6 2011 11:10 PM by usatraveler. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Nov 6 2011 4:05 PM

Consolidate to exFAT - anything new in MC6?

I haven't yet tried exFAT on a media drive for Avid on either Windows or Mac, but I'm considering going that route, as I might be starting to move stuff between my Mac and one or more Windows systems.  exFAT at first glance looks to be a possible solution.

I know that in the past, consolidating to exFAT would result in an error.  The workaround would be to consolidate to another drive, then just move the files to the exFAT drive.

Is there any new functionality in MC6 that removes this limitation?

In addition, while on the topic, any other drawbacks to exFAT that I'm not aware of when compared to NTFS and HFS+, in terms of Avid functionality, performance, data safety, etc.?  I'd consider using it on media drives, maybe even a potential external RAID5 setup that I'm thinking of getting.

I've gotten along so far with Tuxera NTFS for Mac and Macdrive, to move things back and forth.  Anything that would streamline things a little more would be great, but no big deal if there's nothing to report.  More curiosity than anything else.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 6 2011 5:34 PM In reply to

Re: Consolidate to exFAT - anything new in MC6?

I'd not risk going the exFAT route. Its not a robust format as it lacks a backup file allocation table so is prone to FAT corruption and loss of data.

Go NTFS or HFS+ and get the required conversion software.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Sun, Nov 6 2011 11:10 PM In reply to

Re: Consolidate to exFAT - anything new in MC6?

Thanks, I appreciate that bit of extra knowledge.  I'll stay with my Tuxera and Macdrive approach for now.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller