Latest post Sun, Nov 6 2011 2:05 PM by kd-53. 55 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Nov 5 2011 12:07 AM In reply to

• DFW Hokie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Plano, TX
    • Posts 272
    • Points 3,655

Re: MC 6 and BCC updates - Not impressed with pricing model

vpcmike:

Wow - you sure can't please everyone (not that you ever could).  We have 4 Avids and while I am not thrilled about buying BCC seperately, it is still a great price and it does cost money to make money.  I think the pricing is very fair, considering what you receive.  And if you cannot afford or don't want BCC, then don't buy it - it is not mandatory to have on your system.  At least Avid arranged for special pricing instead of just leaving you completely on your own.

And please remember, Marianna is the best friend we have and doesn't make policy at Avid, she just tries to make it work for us.  Show me someone at Adobe or Apple who is even a quarter of her equivalent.  Show a little appreciation and respect.

Just my opinion.

- Mike

Yes, Marianna is awesome.  No question about it.  I appreciate her, and I respect her. 

Please recognize that for those of us who justified the cost of Media Composer with all of the "goodies" included (Which, by the way, Avid has very much used/promoted as an advantage in the marketplace for as long as I have been aware of Media Composer.), this is a big pricing shift.  (Yes, I have read Douglas' opinion on Red vs. BCC.)  If that does not describe you, God bless.  But for us, this is a big deal.  We have to think not only about today, but the years to come.  How much more is our editing suite going to cost us over the next 5 years because of the decisions we've just heard announced?  This is not the end, but the beginning.  Avid said so themselves.  RESULT: Your product just got a lot more expensive.

Personally, I believe I can live with $299 + $299.  But, I am still waiting to see if that's the price I am going to be offered (I have BCC 6). 

In truth, I was suspicious the moment I read $299.  Obviously, there was some fine print yet to come to light, because there was no way Avid was going to position the value of this release at such a low level.  At least not apples to apples.  As I suspected, this is apples to oranges.

I am not complaining.  I am letting Marianna (our advocate) know how I will make this decision to purchase or not.  It is my hope that it this information will be passed along and it will sway Avid/Boris to offer BCC 8 to customers like me at no more than $299.

I'll worry about the future a little bit later down the road...

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 1:22 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,691
    • Points 61,300

Well stated and I agree 100% - you have voiced my thoughts exactly.

Cheers

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 2019.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 7 | Windows 10 Pro x64 ... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 1:41 AM In reply to

DFW Hokie:
    I believe I can live with $299 + $299
    Up until this version you paid an upgrade price PLUS a Production Pack price.

Now a good deal of the Production Pack is in the upgrade price and the stated upgrade price for BCC is about the same as the old full Production Pack price. To me that is really Status Quo, unless of course you really want SmartSound.

FWIW outside of  the deal Avid/Boris are offering here the Boris website upgrade price for BCC AVX from older versions to BCC 7 (with free upgrade to BCC 8 at present) is currently $599.

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 2:39 AM In reply to

• DFW Hokie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plano, TX
    • Posts 272
    • Points 3,655

I don't go back as far as many of you, but previous versions didn't "break" the effects package I already had.

But, let's not bury the lead here.  You've proven my point.  Our editing suite just got a whole lot more expensive.

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 2:47 AM In reply to

But in all fairness to the companies involved, the transition to 64-bits makes using the older plugins an impossibility.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 2:48 AM In reply to

• DFW Hokie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plano, TX
    • Posts 272
    • Points 3,655

BTW, still not complaining.  I'm just trying to reiterate key facts of the matter to Avid, Boris, customers... all the decision makers here.

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 2:53 AM In reply to

• DFW Hokie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plano, TX
    • Posts 272
    • Points 3,655

BobbyMurcerFan:

But in all fairness to the companies involved, the transition to 64-bits makes using the older plugins an impossibility.

And armed with this knowledge, Avid (and Boris?) chose this "we-have-you-over-a-barrel" time to jettison the most engrained effects package (the one we all speak of on these forums as if it were a PART of Media Composer) of the suite.

A company as large as Avid doesn't make these decisions by accident.  (Okay, now I'm complaining a little bit.)

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 3:02 AM In reply to

DFW Hokie:
    Our editing suite just got a whole lot more expensive.
    Yep....  Its a whole lot more expensive than  in the past.

But then MC 1 cost me $33K with no effects package.

Upgrades up until about 4 years back were all $999 or more with no Production Pack. 

MC4 to MC5 was $500 ish and  then the production pack on top.

A point upgrade release 5 to 5.5 was $149 and Production Pack on top.

A full version upgrade including a change to 64 bit and over half of the production pack is $299!!  How have I proved your point?

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 3:15 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,392
    • Points 97,070

DFW Hokie:
    Avid (and Boris?) chose this "we-have-you-over-a-barrel" time to jettison the most engrained effects package ... A company as large as Avid doesn't make these decisions by accident.
    No, they obviously don't.

But Boris currently don't have BCC 8.  They hope to around the time that MC6 ships, but guaranteeing delivery at a price point that wouldn't needlessly inflate the upgrade cost or delay it further is a big ask.

I think Avid have probably made the best decision that they can in the circumstances.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 5 2011 3:16 AM In reply to

DFW Hokie:

BobbyMurcerFan:

And armed with this knowledge, Avid (and Boris?) chose this "we-have-you-over-a-barrel" time to jettison the most engrained effects package (the one we all speak of on these forums as if it were a PART of Media Composer) of the suite.

A company as large as Avid doesn't make these decisions by accident.  (Okay, now I'm complaining a little bit.)

I think one point that you're missing is that none of the 3rd party software packages have been part of Avid's upgrade pricing. You'd have to buy a separate 3rd party kit for $295. So Avid is offering Avid DVD, Sorenson and Avid FX w/ the upgrade price, which is actually more generous (if you don't need BCC). Now I know that BCC is the most used of the 3rd party apps, but it has never been included Avid's MC upgrade pricing.

In the past, you could simply use an older version and hope for the best, but with the change over to 64-bits, that simply can't be the case this time.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 3:17 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,392
    • Points 97,070

And to head off the people who ask why Avid didn't provide a 32-bit wrapper to support legacy AVX plug-ins, can you imagine the outcry if they'd shipped a 64-bit NLE with a significant section of the effects suite still 32-bit?

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 5 2011 3:35 AM In reply to

• DFW Hokie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plano, TX
    • Posts 272
    • Points 3,655

AndrewAction:

DFW Hokie:
    Our editing suite just got a whole lot more expensive.
    Yep....  Its a whole lot more expensive than  in the past.

But then MC 1 cost me $33K with no effects package.

Upgrades up until about 4 years back were all $999 or more with no Production Pack. 

MC4 to MC5 was $500 ish and  then the production pack on top.

A point upgrade release 5 to 5.5 was $149 and Production Pack on top.

A full version upgrade including a change to 64 bit and over half of the production pack is $299!!  How have I proved your point?

You continue to prove my point.  The price has been coming down, down, down.  MC 6 marks the first time the price has gone UP.  That's a big deal!  A new user would pay $2,499 + $1,995 to get Media Composer and Boris Continuum Complete (I'm ignoring SmartSound).  That used to cost $2,495.  (80% increase)

If BCC 6 users are not given the same pricing as BCC7 users, the upgrade for many (most?) of us will cost $299 + $599.  Before, it was $800.  (12% increase)  At best it's going to be $598, and it's being made clear that this will be the last opportunity for such a deal.  I repeat, I'm okay with $598 today.  I'm fearful of what tomorrow will bring. 

We've begun our ascent. 

[And don't bring up $150 for v5.5.  Everyone knows that was Avid's way of apologizing for the bugs in v5.0.]

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 3:38 AM In reply to

Disagree.

People many of the users would not even dare to buy BCC if it was not Avid's HEAVILY discounted pricing to begin with. Now somehow they are paying more even while it is still below market price is just mind boggling and indifensible IMHO.

You give them an inch....

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 5 2011 3:42 AM In reply to

• DFW Hokie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plano, TX
    • Posts 272
    • Points 3,655

jwrl:

I'm not trying to discount your comments.  Really, I'm not.  That perspective might very well be more valid than mine.

But, I'm operating under the assumption that the decision to jettison BCC was not made based on delivery schedules.

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 3:56 AM In reply to

DFW Hokie:
    But, I'm operating under the assumption that the decision to jettison BCC was not made based on delivery schedules.

Probably based on economics. I don't think heavily discounting a $2000 3rd party software was  a profitable product for them.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
Page 3 of 4 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller