Latest post Wed, Feb 8 2012 4:57 AM by Stu. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 31 2011 9:35 PM

• Stu
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 6 2010
    • Washington DC
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,205

small file HD video export settings

I've been exporting to DNx then using Sony Vegas 9's "Sony AVC" to encode my web videos which render really fast and look great at 3.5mpbs.  I then upload that video to youtube just so I can rip the 720p videos youtube encodes to because they are so small (and convert so fast), why can't I do the same on a home machine?

Why is it so difficult for me to just export a small file directly from my editor?  Where are the forums concering export settings??? It's as if people keep it a secret.

I have yet to find a result that yeilds as good a quality that is as fast as Sony's rendering speed, why is it so difficult to find solutions to problems like these on programs like Avid and Sorenson?

I would really like some advice on this matter.  I'm also on a brand new MBP and am not impressed at all with the rendering speeds compared to my 2007 custom pc build.

Lenovo E31 Thinkstation - MC 8.3.0 - Win7Pro SP1 - 1x Xeon 1275v2 - Kingston 32GB 1600MHz ECC - Quadro2000 /// w540: Win8.1 (not pro) - 4th gen i7 4710MQ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 31 2011 11:31 PM In reply to

Re: small file HD video export settings

I am sure TMPGEnc can win Sony's export @mp4.

Using Intel SDK Hardware on compatible cards (or even Cuda).

I think Intel's Quick Sync will be even faster.

The speed is unbelievable and the quality something I haven't seen in anything else.

Now why MC can't do this right is one way it led me to TMPGEnc (the best 120 euros

I have spent for the suite). I don't use Sorenson so I can't comment on that.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(411.95)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2019.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Oct 31 2011 11:42 PM In reply to

• Stu
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Washington DC
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,205

Hi sorry my post was very confusing (I just finished a very painful delivery so I had a verrry garbled and angry thought process going through my head at the time of posting).

1.  I've used TMPGenc 4.0 XPress to convert, but Sony's "Sony AVC [.mp4]" export option is way faster, sharper image, and less macroblocking even at lower bitrates.  But even then, it requires me to export a DNxHD file, then to convert again to a smaller size, AND EVEN THEN some how I have no idea how the youtube HD files are crazy sharp for only being 1.2 mbps, IS THAT CRAZY OR WHAT?  

Note: I'm using KeepVid.com to rip youtube videos because youtube is the only thing I have on my plate at the moment that can create such a tiny file size and yet be high quality.  My clients are in Afghanistan with limited bandwidth and the can barely handle a 100mb file (3.5mbps 720p 24p 3min 30sec file exported from Sony Vegas), where as uploading that 100mb file to youtube, letting youtube convert it, I can get the same result but in a 35mb file.  It's crazy and sad that I have to go through all this.

What my original post was trying to say was how I can export directly from Media Composer into a fast delivery codecs without going through 3 programs.

I'm forever on the hunt to find a simple fast-export setting:

- Fast export setting for 640x360 progressive videos that are 15minutes+ in length, strictly for sub-cap generating and timecode reviewing for translating, [using Sorenson 3 is a serious hit or miss, it can take 15 minutes or 50 minutes I have no idea why it's not consistant] and those go directly to youtube.

Lenovo E31 Thinkstation - MC 8.3.0 - Win7Pro SP1 - 1x Xeon 1275v2 - Kingston 32GB 1600MHz ECC - Quadro2000 /// w540: Win8.1 (not pro) - 4th gen i7 4710MQ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 31 2011 11:49 PM In reply to

I am using TMPGEnc 5.

If you give me the exact details of a file I can give you the exact time

needed for my TMPGEnc to complete.

There is nothing that can beat the speed of the SDK Hardware nowadays.

I have tried Espresso that claims to be the fastest app for that job

(have you tried it?) but TMPGEnc 5 beat it.

Now quality is a matter of taste,

If you ask me YouTube HD is really bad when compared to Vimeo which is a lot sharper and better looking.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(411.95)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2019.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Tue, Nov 1 2011 12:01 AM In reply to

• Stu
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Washington DC
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,205

Yes obviously vimeo is better quality than youtube, but youtube converts the moment you upload it.  I'm only doing the [very silly] youtube converting round-tripping thing only for the smaller 3 minute videos.  For the longer 15min stringouts I'm just letting renders crank on my secondary laptop.

Keep in mind I wouldn't be posting here if I had smarter solutions.

I will further clarify my situation:  I use a Macbook Pro with the licenced software and a desktop PC for all my main editing strictly because it's comfortable.  I then send 'render jobs' to my mac laptop, by opening bins I have on thumbdrives that go back and forth.  The desktop is from 2007 (see specs below) and my Macbook Pro is new i7 15.4" 8gbram.  Avid MC 5.0.0 on the PC, and Avid MC  5.5.3 (licensed).

I do not own any hardware or 3rd party anything, only using software only versions of the programs.  I take it that TMPGNec 5 utilizes external hardware to aid in the rendering.

It seems like the obvious solution would be to get a thunderbolt capable matrox box to aid in rendering to h264 (and hopefully the "send to sorenson squeeze" engine will utilize the hardware for Sorenson 3 exporting for non HD files), or just wait until MC 6.0 drops and see what other hardware options pop up.

If you have hardware recommendations, or export settings within Media Composer I am all ears.  I just want to set up some batch sequence renders using Squeeze's 2 export options, set it and forget it!  I will look into the TMPGenc 5, I haven't used that since because I can import AVCHD directly into MC, and MC doesn't mess up the levels, TMPGNc clips the highlights a bit for some reason AND I would loose timecode.  But I would be using it for encoding not for converting to optimized codecs for editing.

• Thu, Nov 10 2011 5:16 PM In reply to

• Stu
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Washington DC
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,205

Hi George,

I realized that I haven't been able to take full advantage of TMGNc was because my video card does not have CUDA (or whatever it's called).  I just have a very old QuadroFX 1500...

I wonder if my MBP's Radion card will have anything that can speed things up...

Still doesn't answer my original question with trying to export directly from MC.

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 4:57 AM In reply to

• Stu
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Washington DC
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,205

I just thought I'd post back here.

When I was on Squeeze 7, I couldn't get the presets to work because it would ask for a "360 account", which I don't have and don't want to pay for.  I would hit cancel and the render job would not show up, thus nothing to render.

When I upgraded to MC 6, and got the Squeeze 8 *lite*, I was finally able to use any preset I wanted (wow, really? why not the case in Squeeze 7???).  I am a happy camper now.  Uses all my CPU and stuff.  That stupid little thing made life so much easier.  Currently trying to get 8 *full* but having activation issues.

I've got a new graphics card on the way.  Quadro 2000.  I will post some before after results for those who have really old non-CUDA enabled cards and all CPU.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller