Latest post Fri, Nov 4 2011 4:32 PM by jasonsaro. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 31 2011 9:32 PM

• jasonsaro
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Philadelphia
    • Posts 556
    • Points 6,735

ISIS 5000 insight / thoughts

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Hi all, it’s been a while since I have posted here, and I have a question for those out there in shared storage land who utilize ISIS 5000.  Currently we are running a Unity MN 5, and are exploring the possibility of moving towards a system that can hold more files / folders.  So, we have contacted our local Avid reseller and regional Avid rep and have been setting in motion the initial talks and meetings.  

My questions are to the people out there that are using it already, how do you like it?  What performance differences have you seen and does it stand up to the bandwidth that fiber optic has with Unity MN 5?  I’ve gotten the performance guide from Avid, buts it’s a little hard to read in terms of streams and such.  Do any of you work with XDCAM HD 50 and DNxHD 145, all in 1080i/p?  How many clients do you have connected to it and do you see any major drawbacks / performance lags in comparison to Unity MN 5? 

Currently we are pushing and pulling to and from Unity XDCAM HD 50 / XDCAM EX 35 / DNxHD 145 / XDCAM Low Res Proxy (MPEG4).  All of our shows are mainly half hour to hour long.

My current config is:

1 Media Engine 16tb, 1 XT Chassis 16tb, and 1 Archion 32tb chassis.  9 fiber optic clients, 6 Ethernet clients. 11 clients are running Windows Vista Business Pro 64bit on HP z400's.  1 client is running Mac OS 10 on a Mac Pro (protools).  3 clients are running Windows XP SP3 on HP XW8200's 32Bit.  I already know that the 32Bit workstations will need to be replaced with 64 bit ones. 

Any insight / user knowledge would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

ISIS 5500 - 240 Tb HPZ840 - MC 8.4.5 XDCAM HD - XDCAM EX - HDCAM -- HDCAM SR [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Tue, Nov 1 2011 10:24 PM In reply to

• briMestone
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2005
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,570

Re: ISIS 5000 insight / thoughts

ISIS5000 has exceeded my expectation(s) with regards to bandwidth and overall performance.

Like yourself, i was skeptic towards moving away from Fibre to Ethernet, Spindle to size ratio and so fort and so on.

My MediaNet5 config has the following hardware:  1 Engine, 3 XT and 2 Archion shared across 19 Editors (DX) MC and Symphony across 2 Qlogic Fibric Switch. We mainly edit in 15:1s ( offline ) and 1:1SD or DNX145 ( Online ).

My current ISIS5000 configuration has the following hardware: 1 iSIS5000 System Director and 1 Expansion Engine ( total of 64TB, 32 Spindles ) connected to a Cisco 4948E switch via 10GigE per Engine, also we just ordered an additional Expansion engine to bring it to 96TB (65.445TB usable).

All of my MacPro "Harper Town" are connected to my switch via 2 Built-in Gigabit port and all along while building this system from the ground up, i was expecting it to be "slower" but i was proven wrong. my Current iSIS5000 system which has a smaller footprint in power consumption has the same bandwidth speed and i don't have to fear the 500,000 limit anymore.

6 ISIS5000 split in two environments, 25 MC7+SYM NitrisDX, MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 [view my complete system specs]

------

Ted Simbajon
    http://www.tedsimbajon.com

Head Janitor

• Fri, Nov 4 2011 3:36 PM In reply to

• jasonsaro
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Philadelphia
    • Posts 556
    • Points 6,735

Thank you very much Ted for your insight.  We meet with our regional rep Wednesday to start the prelim process of making the swap. 

jay

ISIS 5500 - 240 Tb HPZ840 - MC 8.4.5 XDCAM HD - XDCAM EX - HDCAM -- HDCAM SR [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 4 2011 4:10 PM In reply to

Hi Jason,

I'm not using Isis 5000 but its bigger brother 7000. I'm also responding as I'm also exploring on my second site if upgrading from unity 5 to Isis 5000 or even 7000 (future compatibility with both sites) is an option.

As far as Isis is concerned... It has shown to be a great step forward. The storage is just as fast and more stable. The mayor step forward are the better tools you get for monitoring, servicing etc... Even in a small setup, less then 4 clients, I would also buy the force10 switch.

Be carefull if your reseller also wants to sell you interplay. Its also a great media management system but overkill for many workflows.   

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Nov 4 2011 4:32 PM In reply to

• jasonsaro
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Philadelphia
    • Posts 556
    • Points 6,735

Thanks Jeroen.  We have been thinking about the upgrade because of the amount of shows we have in production and the time the media has to stay online in unity. 

I hear ya about interplay, its nice, but it can be overkill for a 20 episode run of a show.  We will see, the hurdle is to get ISIS first, then maybe explore the posibility of adding it in the future. 

Thanka again man for your help on the portserver issue, turning off spanning tree has gotten rid of the network path not found error, but i still have to restart the media engine about every ten days.  Who knows why, i honestly think its just MN 5 and the portserver being buggy and crashing out over time. 

Jay

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller